Profile for Rowena > Reviews

The Goldfish Club
The Goldfish Club
by Danny Danziger

5.0 out of 5 stars Special meaning, 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Goldfish Club (Hardcover)
Not included in this book, but my wonderful father was a member of the Goldfish Club, so this book was special for me

THWARTED QUEEN: The Entire Saga, in Four Parts, about the Yorks, Lancasters, and Nevilles, whose family feud started the Wars of the Roses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing history alive, 1 Aug. 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable read, even if I wasn't a Ricardian. Effortless way to learn more about a historical period that school never touched upon.

Kindle Paperwhite (6th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought this!, 1 Aug. 2014
So glad I bought this step-up from my original Kindle, much easier on the eye and the light is fantastic if my eyes are tired or I want to read at night. I love my Kindles!

The Paper Bag Princess Study Guide
The Paper Bag Princess Study Guide

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, 1 Aug. 2014
A waste of money, no help to teacher or reader.

Cicely's King Richard (Cicely Plantagenet series Book 1)
Cicely's King Richard (Cicely Plantagenet series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for Ricardian and romantics!, 1 Aug. 2014
Aaargh, you left me high and dry, Sandra Heath Wilson, when the book suddenly came to an end and I found the next part of the trilogy is not yet available. I'm a Ricardian, I devour all books about Richard III, fiction and non-fiction, and I'm perfectly happy for a writer such as yourself to present a 'might-have-been-scenario' that draws on historical fact. Great blend of fact and fiction! Moreover, I understand the awfulness of falling in love with the 'wrong' person. So Cicely's King Richard was thoroughly enjoyable for me and I thought it well-written and I look forward to the continuing story of Cicely :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2015 3:27 AM BST

The Tudor Bride
The Tudor Bride

4.0 out of 5 stars ... as I'd finished the Agincourt Bridge which I absolutely loved - and I needed to know what happened to ..., 11 July 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Bride (Kindle Edition)
I started reading this as soon as I'd finished the Agincourt Bridge which I absolutely loved - and I needed to know what happened to Catherine once she arrived in England as the bride of Henry V (and how the story of Mette, her once-nursemaid, continued). Almost, but perhaps not quite, as good as the first book (it wasn't until I reached the second half of The Tudor Bride that it became 'unput-downable'). I got such a good sense of the political and social history of the time, and I'd recommend reading the two books in sequence to get the most out of this well-researched and entertaining historical journey.

Honour
Honour

5.0 out of 5 stars Matthew Lewis is brilliantly filling the gaps in my history knowledge, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Honour (Kindle Edition)
Matthew Lewis is brilliantly filling the gaps in my history knowledge, motivating me to not only to avidly consume his books, but also to get out there and start researching for myself. We can't know exactly what happened in much of Richard III's life, or the details of the lives around him, but it's fantastic to build the best picture we can. And writing historical fiction of this quality surely can play a role in getting people today interested in discovering and preserving the knowledge and historic sites that we have. So a highly recommended book and author.

Loyalty
Loyalty

5.0 out of 5 stars Love history? Read this!, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
I avidly consumed this book, couldn't put it down, because it brought history alive. Then I moved onto 'Honour' which follows on with the story of Richard III's stalwart supporter Francis Lovell, and that was riveting too. Well-researched, well-written, please read and pass the good news on! Matthew Lewis has made a Ricardian of me, and I'm now reading every piece of fiction and non-fiction that relates to Richard, his era, his ancestors, his descendants (= 28 Kindle books so far, plus online blogs and articles). And I've done the superb FutureLearn free course 'England in the time of Richard III' (now being re-presented https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/england-of-richard-third-2014 ). Thank you, Matthew, I've read all you've written so far and am waiting for the next ...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2014 7:04 PM BST

The Agincourt Bride
The Agincourt Bride

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing perspective, 24 Jun. 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have moved on immediately to The Tudor Bride. What I particularly liked was the seeing through the eyes of a non-royal, non-aristocrat, thereby getting a glimpse of life outside the corridors of power and wealth. Lost a bit of sleep over this one because it was hard to put my Kindle down until long after a sensible lights-off time. Well-researched historical fiction, great read. Thanks Joanna!

Brushed Chrome Space Pen with Matching Clip
Brushed Chrome Space Pen with Matching Clip
Offered by BETTER CHOICES

5.0 out of 5 stars The must-have pen, 26 Jan. 2014
Not only writes anywhere, including upside-down, but it fits in all pockets, bags, or whatever. An indispensable pen that also makes an affordable gift for the person who has everything. Also comes in a great range of colours. Love my space pen!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3