Profile for expat cantab > Reviews

Content by expat cantab

expat cantab (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Thule En-Route Strut Backpack - Black, 19 Litres
Thule En-Route Strut Backpack - Black, 19 Litres

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and well built, fits 15" widescreen perfectly., 1 May 2015
I love that this backpack is solid, well-built, and still looks quite slick. It fits my 15" widescreen (non-Apple) laptop perfectly. I don't put the charger first into the bottom of the bag, though, as I'm afraid the plug head could puncture the bottom if I pile lots of other stuff on top of it.

I've carried a few heavy loads in it, and it is comfortable, but I wouldn't do so for hours since there is no waist belt. The pack is very solid, keeps its shape, and doesn't flop over when empty. The small hard-shell front component is very handy. But, sometimes its hard to fish things out of the large front pocket when the main compartment is full, since the bag doesn't have much slack.

adidas Women's Response Short Sleeve Shirt - White/Frost Mint F14, Medium
adidas Women's Response Short Sleeve Shirt - White/Frost Mint F14, Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, breathable, slightly on the long side, 1 May 2015
I really like this shirt. It's highly breathable, more porous than other running shirts that I have had, which might have a more smooth fabric. It fit me perfectly around the top and shoulders, but the is slightly on the long side (I'm only 5'4"). Also, the big stripe in the middle of the shirt (I guess for moisture-wicking) means that it's too obviously an athletics shirt to wear around on a normal hot day.

Shock Absorber B4490 Women's Max Sports Bra Top - White 36B
Shock Absorber B4490 Women's Max Sports Bra Top - White 36B

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it! It's a great quality, 1 May 2015
I love it! It's a great quality, with a solid feel but still breathable. I've been running for years and this one is the best running bra that I have had.

Pumpkin Patch Boys Space Boy Todd Pyjama Set
Pumpkin Patch Boys Space Boy Todd Pyjama Set

4.0 out of 5 stars My child has a big head so I thought I had found the perfect set. Quality wise, 30 April 2015
I bought these pyjamas in 3Y and 4Y and neither set has a button-up collar as shown in the photo (which is for 2Y). My child has a big head so I thought I had found the perfect set.

Quality wise; I'm generally happy with them, but the fabric is a little bit stiff, and not as soft as Hatley pyjamas I have purchased, but perhaps with a few more washes will soften up a bit.

VTech Baby Discovery Activity Tree
VTech Baby Discovery Activity Tree
Offered by TOYS ARE WE

5.0 out of 5 stars Still amuses after months, 16 April 2014
I first saw this toy at a birthday party for a 1-year old and all the children were going for it.

My 14- month boy still loves it after several months of play. There is endless amusement to stuffing the coloured balls (and other things) into the tree holes. More than one child can also play with it at once as they can take turns.

Philips AVENT Natural Newborn Starter Set SCD290/01
Philips AVENT Natural Newborn Starter Set SCD290/01

1.0 out of 5 stars Holes mis-align, difficult to use, 16 April 2014
We hated the Natural system from the beginning. The bottles are very nice-looking and comfortable, but there seems to be a design flaw with the teat. In order for the air vent system to work, the holes must be exactly aligned with the ring. So you have to do this carefully when assembling the bottle after sterilizing. But the teat shifts because of changes in temperature between sterilizing, fridge, filing the bottle, and warming it (in an Avent warmer), so that by the time you get to feeding, the hole is mis-aligned. The only way to fix it was to manually remove the teat after warming the bottle and put it back, which was unhygenic and breaking the sterilization. Maybe we were doing something wrong, but all the diagrams show the holes aligned with the teat vent.

I considered giving the lot away, but we have kept the bottles for now in case we use them when our baby is older, and when we can find a spout for it (which I don't think Philips makes yet). The Avent classic worked immediately and has more compatibility - if it's not broken, don't fix it!!

The only good thing to come out of this package was the dummy - a really nice one which is difficult to find.

Zwilling J.A. Henckels AG 07013-210 Children's Cutlery Set Toys 3 Pieces
Zwilling J.A. Henckels AG 07013-210 Children's Cutlery Set Toys 3 Pieces

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, meant for 0-3 years, 16 April 2014
Great quality as expected from Henckels cutlery. As there is no photo in the listing, I wanted to add that the 'Toys' set (the name of the style) is meant for 0-3 years old, as on the side of the box.

Also keep in mind that, being silver, you should dry this every time you wash it. Not always easy to remember with kids' stuff!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2014 9:38 PM BST

Philips AVENT SCD271/00 Newborn Bottle Starter Set (Classic)
Philips AVENT SCD271/00 Newborn Bottle Starter Set (Classic)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set & price, 22 July 2013
After trying out several brands, we decided to go for the Avent classic bottles because the venting system works well. The starter set is great value and instead of buying the bottles separately, I bought three starter sets. It was cheaper than buying 12 bottles in packs of 2 or 3. The price of the starter set can go as low as £7.99 so keep an eye on it if you can afford to wait.

Philips AVENT SCD290/00 Natural Newborn Starter Set
Philips AVENT SCD290/00 Natural Newborn Starter Set
Offered by Parisa Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Holes mis-align, difficult to use, 20 July 2013

MAM Style Soothers for 0 Months + with Sterilisable Travel Case (Blue)
MAM Style Soothers for 0 Months + with Sterilisable Travel Case (Blue)
Offered by Direct Pharmacy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great soother, 20 July 2013
I really liked these dummies, and they were really comfortable and looked like a great fit for a while. The only downside was that once he was able to use them, he outgrew them by about 4 months because the curvature of the dummy means that the edging was pressing into his face. I don't know if we're meant then to use 6m+ dummies, as MAM doesn't make ones in between. I didn't have this problem with the Avent dummies as they were much more flat.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3