Profile for Derek Tunnicliffe > Reviews

Content by Derek Tunnicliffe

Derek Tunnicliffe (Bords, France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
A Separation [DVD] [2011]
A Separation [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Leila Hatami

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving and intelligent film, 22 Dec. 2011
This review is from: A Separation [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Other reviewers have set out enough of the plot to convince (I hope) that this is a film worthy of a wide, intelligent audience. To see the mother shouting down the Judge, nose to nose, is but one example of Iranian reality brought vividly to life here.

It's worth noting that the film won best actor award for all the male cast, plus best actress award for all the female cast, at Cannes. I couldn't agree more with that decision.

Worksite Unisex-Adult SS604SM Safety Boots
Worksite Unisex-Adult SS604SM Safety Boots
Price: £23.44 - £56.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but needed some "pre-care", 20 Dec. 2011
I've worn these now for about ten days. First day I found the back heel support on one boot was cutting into my ankle. On the advice of an earlier post, I took the hammer to it. Now, there's no problem. I've worn them whilst felling trees and cutting logs; doing heavy work in the garden and in the workshop. Very comfortable and also surprisingly light given their looks. Good ankle and tongue padding; plus, removable insole. Sad about the need for some pre-care.

T&G Rectangular Table Mats in Cork, 28 x 20 x 0.6 cm, Set of 6
T&G Rectangular Table Mats in Cork, 28 x 20 x 0.6 cm, Set of 6
Offered by UK Boards Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 19 Dec. 2011
Bought these to replace worn-out ones. We were happily surprised to see how thick they are, compared to the others. No problem at all with hot serving dishes on the table. Good size, too: don't take up mots of room on a busy dinner-table.

5 in 1 AV out Camera Connection Kit Card Reader for USB Keyboard, SD, MicroSD, Mini USB and Sync Pictures/ Photos and Video to itunes For Apple iPad, iPad 2

4.0 out of 5 stars clever piece of kit, 19 Dec. 2011
I'm wondering why Apple didn't think of offering this piece of kit: except they would charge twice as much for it.

Does everything it says on the box. Only drawback is that with so many bits, it can be a bit fiddly - and do remember to keep all the bits together (and away from other iPad plugs, etc!)

iPad Mini Case, TeckNet Slim Fit Smart Case PU Leather Cover With Stand For Apple iPad Mini 3, Min 2 and Mini 1, Included Screen Protector
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

5.0 out of 5 stars Why buy more expensive?, 1 Nov. 2011
This does everything the makers claim. The iPad fits in perfectly and all connections, photo lens, etc are correctly placed. And there seems to be enough padding to withstand most normal knocks, etc when being carried about. The magnetic Sleep/Wake sensors work well. What more could you want? Best of all is the price.

Apple iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G - Tablet - 16 GB - 9.7" IPS ( 1024 x 768 ) - rear camera + front camera - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - 3G - black

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good - but, 1 Nov. 2011
It's light; it has lightning start-up speed; and it does a reasonably good range of jobs. But there are shortcomings.

On emails it doesn't show Spam messages received (we have four mailboxes between us). I do check my Spam messages, because occasionally I find some that aren't Spam - and are even important. After three weeks away I found 200 Spam messages, including three non-Spams waiting in my iMac mailboxes.

Also, I didn't think I would need Flash-player: but now I find it really is a necessity for the sites I visit most.

And, though battery life is claimed to be ten hours I reckon I'm getting no more than six or seven.

Every piece of hardware has its faults and its quirks. As we're learning to live with those of the iPad we're still pleased we bought it. It's lighter than my laptop (useful when flying "low cost") and it's handier. It's compatible with my iMac; and with easy uploading and transfer of photos it makes an easy-to-update and easy-to-carry photo album (important to us).

Mens Jarrow Suede Look Mules Slippers Brown Size 7
Mens Jarrow Suede Look Mules Slippers Brown Size 7

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and practical, 1 Nov. 2011
I needed slippers that would stand up to a trip outside on a wet evening to the log shed and that would be comfortable indoors. I'm happy to report that these do both. They look and feel well made. So, they are excellent value for the price. (Delivery was quick, too).

Part - Spiegel Im Spiegel
Part - Spiegel Im Spiegel
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a peaceful evening, 30 Sept. 2011
This is Pärt perfect. Each piece beautifully played: measured and calm timing; no hesitation in synchronising between piano and string players. My current favourite is the cello version of Spiegel Im Spiegel, plus the gentle Alina. My wife is, as yet, hesitating to choose: "all too beautiful".

We look forward to dark winter evenings, lounging in front of the log-fire, with this CD as accompaniment.

Big Book of Beginner's Piano Classics (Big Book Of... (Dover Publications))
Big Book of Beginner's Piano Classics (Big Book Of... (Dover Publications))
by Bergerac

4.0 out of 5 stars Good selection of pieces, 30 Sept. 2011
This is a very easy selection of pieces, arranged for beginners. No hard work with two hands - just enough to make musical sense. With 83 pieces to choose from there should be plenty to please both player and listener (too often forgotten!)

Pythagoras: His Lives and the Legacy of a Rational Universe
Pythagoras: His Lives and the Legacy of a Rational Universe
by Kitty Ferguson

4.0 out of 5 stars Why Pythagoras is so important, 10 Jun. 2011
For me, this book starts unpromisingly. The author explains early on that little is known about Pythagoras' early life, travels and studies: then takes five chapters detailing all the various ideas and claims made about such events. Fortunately, after that the book gets into gear.

What follows is an exhilarating expedition through the history of philosophers and mathematicians and their works, from the sixth century BC to the 21st century. Her dissection, discussion and explanations of the works of these many illustrious thinkers and practitioners is clear and instructive. She shows - and explains - both their faults and their value; and, of course, the relevance of Pythagorean ideas in their works. The final chapter (on current work) is the most complex, yet is explained as clearly as possible, given the immediacy of these events.

Through this magnificent journey Kitty Ferguson shows how Pythagorean insights still stand: that "rationality and order underlie the variety and confusion of nature"; and that his "music of the spheres" appears still to be valid.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5