Profile for E. S. Burroughs > Reviews

E. S. Burroughs (London)

Strength in Strangers: A true story of heartbreak, hope and courage
Strength in Strangers: A true story of heartbreak, hope and courage

3.0 out of 5 stars A more balanced review, 30 Dec. 2014
Having read all the reviews on Amazon, I notice that a significant proportion of them are by people connected to the story - eg 'i'm a friend of a friend of the couple' or 'i knew her at school' or 'something similar happened to me' so I do not think the reviews are particularly balanced. It is a good read - it's quite incredible what happens to them. There is a huge cast of characters, making it quite difficult to remember who was who, but to be honest I gave up trying to work out who everyone was and I still enjoyed it. My biggest problem with the book was how badly edited it was. There are a significant number of spelling mistakes, the odd word missed out, grammatical errors and sometimes just whole sentences not making sense (only a few of those, but still) eg " ' Oh Lauren head' said my friend Emily." See what I mean? I found that really irritating so I was pleased the download was free. It was originally billed at £5.20 - it would have got less than 3 out of 5 if I'd paid that for it. It is definitely one of those stories which makes you realise you do not have any problems in your life at all. Even if you think you have. You haven't. And that the NHS is completely wonderful. Of course, we all realise that when we need them, don't we. It's quite astonishing what happened to this couple, and for that reason alone it's a worth a read.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2015 7:56 PM GMT

The Friday Night Knitting Club
The Friday Night Knitting Club
by Kate Jacobs

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice read, 12 Nov. 2007
The last quarter of this book turns it from being an average chick lit-style book to something a bit deeper. Although I was cynical in the beginning about it being schmaltzy nonsense about stereotypical characters with ridiculous names, I soon found myself caring about what was going to happen to them.

I wasn't exactly blubbing in the end, but the novel still got to me. I envied the friendships that developed within the club, and personally could do with a wise friend like Anita to make me stop and think - oh to have that acceptance of how life pans out....

This book won't stretch you but I really recommend it - it's simply a nice good read.

Was not remotely surprised to hear it's being turned into a film (Julia Roberts is Georgia) ... but honestly, don't let that put you off ;-)

This Book Will Save Your Life
This Book Will Save Your Life
by A. M. Homes

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 3 Aug. 2007
I really enjoyed this book but I do think the prose on the back of the book is misleading (ie, it suggests it's all about Richards relationship with Anhill) and I was very frustrated by the ending ... I felt it just stopped, rather than reach a conclusion.

That said, I did really enjoy it and thought it was a very different kind of read. The characters all come into their own, are richly described, and are all as important as Richard, whom the book is about. Great characterisation.

Obviously it won't save your life. I think whether the meaning of the book resonates with you depends on what you're personally experiencing in life when you read it. It's an enjoyable read though.