Profile for Oldromola > Reviews

Shelly Manne & His Friends
Shelly Manne & His Friends
Offered by The London Lane Company

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Recording and Simply Stunning!, 19 Dec. 2013
It simply beggars belief that, as yet, there are no reviews here of this brilliant recording. There is a review against the Japanese import version, but it is entirely in the wrong place as it refers to an altogether different CD!

Although Shelly Manne is the leader of the group this is really a showcase of the stunning jazz piano playing of Andre Previn. Originally released by Contemporary in 1956 it some became a classic. What a marvellous label was Contemporary - every bit as good and important as Blue Note in my opinion. All of the six tunes are standards - you'll find the list elsewhere I am sure - and all thoroughly enjoyable. I should mention that the excellent Leroy Vinnegar is on bass here.

However inadequate this short review is, I hope it will encourage you to get hold of a copy for yourself. My preference is for vinyl, but the CD version is fine too. This is sometimes referred to as Volume 1 as there was a later recording with same title.

Bossa Nova Soul Samba (Rudy Van Gelder Edition)
Bossa Nova Soul Samba (Rudy Van Gelder Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Pleasant Experience., 5 Dec. 2013
Of course I agree with what everyone else has already said. Highly gifted musicians playing laid back bossa and samba. What more could any man ask for? A touch more variety perhaps? After listening to all 12 tracks I felt it was all just a tad samey and, for a complete change, I was ready for a good dose of 'Miles Ahead'. That is a minor criticism in the scheme of things, so I too am highly recommending Ike Quebec and this recording.

Solitude on Guitar
Solitude on Guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Brazil's Greatest Bossa Guitarist, 28 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Solitude on Guitar (Audio CD)
Yes, this Baden Powell at his supreme best. His music is indeed beautiful - it is thoughtful, technically sophisticated and always moving. Years ago I bought a copy of his 'Poema on Guitar' (Vinyl) and it has been a regular visitor to my turntable ever since. There are so many recordings of this, Brazil's greatest late 20th Century guitarist, it is difficult to know just what to buy. If you are new to his music then you wont go wrong with either this recording or 'Poema' - better still buy both!

7 Classic Albums
7 Classic Albums

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hottest New Group in Jazz!, 28 Nov. 2013
This review is from: 7 Classic Albums (Audio CD)
Up to now I have bought two of these 'Real Gone Jazz' box sets (this one and Freddie Redd's) and am surprised to be the first reviewer of each! However, I have found reviews from others on many of the other sets to be both informative and interesting, so I hope my views on this will likewise prove useful.

I heard Lambert, Hendricks and Ross at the Antibes Jazz Festival in 1961 along with Count Basie, Ray Charles, Bud Powell, Les McCann and a host of others whose names I have forgotten. Returning home to Blighty I immediately bought a copy of 'Lambert, Hendricks and Ross - The Hottest New Group in Jazz'. I have enjoyed it for many years but as the time had come for a replacement it was a no brainer to go for this vastly inexpensive box set. The albums included are;

'Sing a Song of Basie' from 1957. Their sensational debut album with the Basie band rhythm section to hand.

'Sing Along with Basie' from 1958. This time with the entire Basie band itself.

'The Swingers' from 1958. A marvellous rhythm section led by my favourite West Coast pianist - Russ Freeman. Love track 4 'Jackie' - it's all about the mouse on Annie's blouse.

'The Hottest New Group in Jazz' from 1960. Here we have a rhythm section with guest appearances from Harry Edison no less (trumpet) and Pony Poindexter (alto)

'Sing Ellington' from 1960. Same musicians as above.

'The Real Ambassadors' from 1962. Not a lot of LHR on this album. Despite the recording being well known, it was new to me and I like it. Most tracks feature Louis Armstrong both singing and playing, and/or Carmen McRae. Dave Brubeck is also part of this party, and backs most of Carmen McRae's tracks. I am not too familiar with the latter but have to say I greatly enjoyed her contribution here.

'High Flying' from 1962. Just a piano, bass and drums here.

As we speak I have listened through all the discs only twice so am still on a learning curve with all the albums except 'The Hottest New Group in Jazz'. Nevertheless I can thoroughly recommend this boxed set. The sound is good, my jewel case is absolutely fine and, best of all, the jazz is excellent.

6 Classic Albums
6 Classic Albums
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Music Forever!, 26 Nov. 2013
This review is from: 6 Classic Albums (Audio CD)
First and foremost I have to admit to being a vinyl junkie - if it's available in good condition then I'll have it thank you very much. So it was that not a week ago I was looking into a new vinyl replacement for my well worn early Blue Note (mono) copy of 'The Connection'. Yes, such a thing is available but for mega bucks. Similarly for 'Shades of Redd' which, belatedly, I fancied adding to my collection.

The solution?

The solution was to buy - at a give away price really - the above box set. Ok it's in CD format and there isn't a thick booklet the like of which the 'Proper' people provide us with, but it is undoubtedly excellent value. No problem with the jewel case. So what do you get?

1) 'Introducing Freddie Redd' - originally a 10" Prestige LP from 1955 containing 20 minutes of trio tracks. Nothing missing here.

2) 'The Connection' Blue Note from 1960 - nothing missing. (Anyone else see the original production when it came to London all those years ago?)

3) 'Shades of Redd' - Blue Note from 1960 with both Jackie McLean and the superb Harold Floyd Brooks aka 'Tina'. Definitely a 5 star album. Again no missing tracks.

4) 'Gene Ammons All Star Sessions' - with Sonny Stitt, Art Farmer and others with a Freddie Redd rhythm section from 1956. There are 2 tracks from the 1993 CD reissue not here; 'When I dream of you' and 'A lover is blue'. An excellent album.

5) 'Howard McGhee - Music from the Connection' How interesting is this! A 1961 album put together by Howard McGhee with 'Tina' Brooks again and a Freddie Redd rhythm section. All the same tracks as on the original recording but a different take on them. Both Tina Brooks and Howard McGhee are on sparkling form. An excellent album.

6) 'Rolf Ericson and his American Stars' recorded in Sweden in 1956 with Lars Gullin and a Freddie Redd rhythm section. The original rhythm section had recorded 4 tracks previously (not here) before being sent back to America - apparently in drug related trouble. A worthwhile album if not essential.

7) 'Art Farmer - When Farmer Met Gryce' - another 10" LP from Prestige again dating from 1955. You thought the pianist on the date was Horace Silver? Well you're right - in that there was a second album with exactly the same title on which Horace Silver took the honours. I have really enjoyed these 4 tracks, although it was the Horace Silver album I used to own.

Overall sound quality is good. I sometimes wondered whether some of the tracks on the Gene Ammons album had been taken from different sources, but I am not grumbling. In fact, not grumbling one little bit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter Skellern's Masterpiece without a doubt, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Oasis (Audio CD)
If you listen to any or all of Peter Skellern's recorded output you will not find one single track on which he does not demonstrate musical playing and originality of the highest order. The main body of his work was recorded on Mercury records, and it is mainly on Mercury you will find examples of his finely crafted mature style; for example 'Skellern' from 1978 and 'Still Magic' from 1980. What a story teller he is! What a musician! Just listen to the arrangements - brass bands, heavenly choirs, various keyboards et al - and then try to work out just how he did it.

But it is on WEA Records (Warner) that we find 'Oasis', his masterpiece. 'Oasis' is a romantic, musical suite of pieces loosely themed around the progress of a love affair. In the title piece 'Oasis' the lovers 'draw up these moments from wells of delight, and drink from each other then thirst for the night'. In the final piece we learn they are 'sun tanned, wind blown, honey-mooners at last alone'. Ah.........!

With customary brilliance Peter Skellern wrote this suite with two close collaborators in mind; the world renowned cellist Julian Lloyd Webber and the Welsh soprano Mary Hopkin who some years earlier, at the tender age of 18, had recorded 'Those were the days'. I shouldn't doubt for a moment that Peter was most attracted to the wistful nostalgia that Mary had conveyed so well on her number 1 hit song. The tree of them - together with guitarists Mitch Dalton and Bill Lovelady - recorded 'Oasis' in 1984 and were marketed as a 'super group'. After the recording was released a UK tour was planned but Mary became ill. The tour was abandoned and the group disbanded. I would feel certain that - because of this - 'Oasis' has remained in relative obscurity bar from those fortunate few like myself who have come to know it and love it through the recording listed here. Frederic Delius would have loved this music - I can just see the smile on his face as he listened to the cello and choir in those closing gentle, chromatic chords of the title track, 'Oasis'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2015 6:14 AM BST

Gershwin Collection
Gershwin Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it!, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Gershwin Collection (Audio CD)
I have just bought an inexpensive used copy of this CD. When it arrived the tatty condition of the cover and booklet plus Julian Steven's 3 stars only review made me wonder what I was in for. I need not have worried - this is a superb CD, definitely equal to 'Discovered Again' and 'Mountain Dance'. 5 stars for me.

Julian sums it up well with his comments regarding the legendary line up. I agree with him entirely on that score, but I think he must have been unlucky with his copy if he found the recording to be on the rough side. Mine sounds warm and sunny, with the tone of Eddie Daniels' clarinet in track 2 'Soon' just right in my opinion. (I might add I am a grade 6 clarinetist!) I liked the one track that Julian didn't, but I didn't much care for the rather severe track 7 'My Man's gone Now'. It was a nice touch to include a Gershwin piano roll at the very beginning.

I have just purchased a second inexpensive copy of this CD from an Amazon seller at a cost of £2.75 including postage. Even if the cover, booklet and jewel case are tatty, I know the music will be magical. Get yourself one while they're so cheap!

Skellern
Skellern

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Skellern (Vinyl)
This is wonderful vintage Peter Skellern. I have it on vinyl, but I'm sure it's equally good on CD - that is if you can afford a copy!. My favourite recordings of his are this one, 'Still Magic', 'Astaire' and of course his superb masterpiece 'Oasis'.

If you think I'm simply a soggy old romantic you may have a point. However other favourites include the Berg 'Violin Concerto', Frank Martin's 'Passagaclia' (quite a tough nut) and anything by Bud Powell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter Skellern's Masterpiece without a doubt, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Oasis (Audio CD)
From a marvelous musician this is his superb masterpiece. I agree with another reviewer who said it deserves to be ranked with the very best of The Beatles and the Beach Boys. I am a classical musician (practical) and a modern jazz lover, so this must be really good to enthuse me so much! I have it on vinyl, cassette but not yet on CD. Tres expensive! I was really lucky recently to be able to buy a copy of the score from an American seller on Amazon.com, so I am at last able to understand (and play for myself) the beautiful chord sequences. Thank you Peter - so far as I am concerned you can come out of retirement any time you like!

Still Magic
Still Magic

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Still Magic (Audio CD)
This is wonderful vintage Peter Skellern. I have it on vinyl, but I'm sure it's equally good on CD - that is if you can afford a copy!. My favourite recordings of his are this one, 'Skellern', 'Astaire' and of course his superb masterpiece 'Oasis'.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5