Profile for Dave B > Reviews

Content by Dave B

Dave B "Victorian Dad" (York, UK)

Draper 37870 7-Piece Pipe Flaring Tool Kit
Draper 37870 7-Piece Pipe Flaring Tool Kit
Offered by Bamford Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine with Kunifer pipe, 14 Feb. 2016
Bought this to make all new brake lines for my classic vehicle. Used with Kunifer pipe and it did the job (about 12 double flares) with no real problems. I doubt that it would be strong enough to flare steel pipe, but for copper/kunfer it's fine. I only used the 3/16 die and it did tend to get stuck, but gentle straight pulling/twisting with pliers always coaxed it off the pipe without breaking. Overall quite happy and saved me a load of money compared to buying a set of made up brake lines.

Bosch PMF 190 E Multifunction Tool with Cutting Discs, Saw Blades and Sander Sheets

1.0 out of 5 stars Great until it died..., 14 Feb. 2016
Like many others have described in the reviews here, I liked this tool very much - it's incredibly useful for some jobs - but then it simply stopped working for no apparent reason. Its just out of warranty and I'm guessing that repair will not be cost effective. Poor value given that its only been used a handful of times.

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Rome
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Rome
by Adele Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, 2 May 2010
We recently spent two weeks in Rome. One week planned and a second week due to the Icelandic volcanic ash! We used this to plan our days out and tell us as much as we wanted to know about all the sights.
The book has some interesting sections in the front about Rome's history from different perspectives, but most of it is an area-by-area guide, with good illustrations highlighting the places of interest (numbered), with some of them starred. All the numbered sights then have further information easily found within the section. As you would expect, some of the bigger attractions, such as St Peter's, The Forum etc. have several pages devoted to them.
There is also a section that describes some suggested walking itineraries, plus a general section of other useful info in the back - we liked the bit on when/where to find street markets.
The only negatives I can think of are that the book is a bit heavy - certainly too big/heavy for a pocket, so I mostly carried it my backpack between stops. Partly because of this and partly because they are on separate pages, the maps in the back aren't much good to use for getting around. I found the perfect combination was the Eyewitness guide plus the excellent Time Out waterproof map.

Bridgedale Socks Junior Trail Grey/Blue - Large 1 - 3 UK
Bridgedale Socks Junior Trail Grey/Blue - Large 1 - 3 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good socks, good price, 2 May 2010
These socks have proved very popular with my daughter. They have been worn and washed a lot but are still in good shape. Good price too - I have really struggled to get reasonably priced kids' trail socks from the High Street outdoor gear shops.

The Rough Guide Map Rome (Edition 2)
The Rough Guide Map Rome (Edition 2)
by Rough Guides
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Indestructible, 27 April 2010
Saw the other reviews for this map before I bought it and agree completely with the good things said about it. We were two weeks in Rome (thanks to the Icelandic ash cloud) and I carried this map everywhere. It still looks great without a single rip. I found the bus numbers written next to roads incredibly useful in working out which ones to catch. Watch out for tram number 3 that doesn't seem to run any more though! I only used the main map side, so can't comment on any of the other 'useful stuff' on the back. If you're going to Rome, buy this. You won't be disappointed.

Cassandra Luxury Animal Striped Hot Water Bottle Cover - Colours May Vary
Cassandra Luxury Animal Striped Hot Water Bottle Cover - Colours May Vary

2.0 out of 5 stars Funny smell, 18 Jan. 2010
Looks great but the fabric has a strange (and not very pleasant) smell that doesn't disappear with washing. Not the sort of thing you want to cuddle up to...