Profile for G. M. Collins > Reviews

Content by G. M. Collins

G. M. Collins "jackdaw" (Wigginton, Nr. TRING, HERTS United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Universe - The Mega Collection: Series 1-5 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Universe - The Mega Collection: Series 1-5 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]

3.0 out of 5 stars A great collection, 20 Nov. 2011
I have been interested in Astronomy since I was about ten years old and have watched most episodes of The Universe on TV.

The images are incredible and most thought provoking.

The reason I have awarded only three stars out of five is because, for me, the loud added whiz-bang Sci-fi type sound effects, the intrusive music and regular pronunciation of Saturn as Saddurn distracting and irritating.

Having said that, the discs are well worth the money and mostly spectacular.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2012 1:18 PM GMT

SOE's Ultimate Deception : " Operation Periwig "
SOE's Ultimate Deception : " Operation Periwig "
by Fredric Boyce

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book..., 1 July 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It introduced me to an aspect of WW2 about which I knew precious little. It is easy to read and puts one more piece in the jig-saw puzzle of secret attempts to confuse the Germans.

Soe: The Scientific Secrets
Soe: The Scientific Secrets
by Fredric Boyce

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredible detail for researchers..., 1 July 2011
I'm afraid I don't rate this book highly. I soon tired of reading the individual cradle to grave life histories of the characters involved. I waded through many pages and then started getting bored finally skip reading until page 206 when the kind of information I wanted began.

Winston Churchill's Toyshop: The Inside Story of Military Intelligence (research)
by Stuart Macrae

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener..., 17 Jun. 2011
Stuart Macrae's 'Winston Churchill's Toyshop' is a wonderful book about the struggle some very bright people had to invent, produce and test some essential devices in the face of inter-departmental jealousy. The book deals with the inventions themselves, the characters and the political and military ineptitude rife during WW2. I simply could not put the book down until it was finished.

The book describes how Winston Churchill was able to focus on what was required and was prepared to put his personal authority, as and when necessary, behind the projects.

Another book on a similar theme you would probably enjoy is 'The Secret War of Charles-Fraser Smith, The 'Q' Gadget Wizard of World War' published by Michael Joseph ISBN 0 7181 2451 0

What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography
What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography
by Alan Sugar

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read..., 5 Nov. 2010
It may seem odd but I have watched 'The Appentice' only once, for some reason I just did not relate to the programme. Having said that I have always had great admiration for Alan Sugars and his ability to see the wood for the trees. The insight into the life and the growing up of a young boy of a not too wealthy Jewish family was fascinating. Even at an early age Alan's brain was tuned to spot opportunities and how to use them to best advantage. That should be a lesson to us all, although I think entrepreneurs are born and cannot trained.

I was in my teens and twenties at the same time as Alan was having his ideas and turning them into items to sell in vast numbers at the expense of his rivals. It was an exciting era when technology was entering our homes and offices in a way that had never happend before, and all at affordable prices.

Alan's excellent book reflects his way of saying, doing, planning and marketing things and how to cope with business adversity. His obvious love of his family is a credit to him, the world would be a better place if there was more of that.

The reason I awarded four stars rather than five was because of my total lack of interest in the game of football and its politics.

Once started, I could not put the book down, it is compulsive reading and a fantastic bargain at Amazon's price.

Wonders of the Solar System
Wonders of the Solar System
by Brian Cox

4.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring book..., 5 Nov. 2010
Many years ago, when I was about twelve years old, my father bought me a book about science with many pages on Astronomy which interested and inspired me to look at the night sky and to wonder what is up there? How far away those pin-pricks of light are and above all is there life other than on Planet Earth?

That interest once awoken has never gone away. Technology has improved at an incredible rate since the 1950's and many questions have been answered and many more asked.

For me, Brian Cox's book replaces my old and now long lost tome. It should serve to inspire future generations of youngsters and to claify things for an old codger like me.

A Car Is Reborn - Jaguar [DVD]
A Car Is Reborn - Jaguar [DVD]
Dvd ~ A Car Is Reborn
Offered by Special Interests

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informative..., 9 Aug. 2010
I found this DVD both entertaining and informative but had it been all the material from the fifteen episodes, seven and a half hours, it would probably have driven me mad?

I would have liked to have been able to switch off the irritating and unnecessary background/foreground music and I did not appreciate the times when Mark Evans shouted his narration.

Having had my niggles and moans I can only say that I really enjoyed watching a true British classic car being brought back to life.

The British Motorcycle Directory: Over 1,100 Marques from 1888
The British Motorcycle Directory: Over 1,100 Marques from 1888
by Roy Hunt Bacon

4.0 out of 5 stars One well worth adding to your library..., 9 July 2010
An excellent book well worth having especially at Amazon's sensible price. I would have awarded it 5 stars had there been more photos. For instance there is no illustration of Rudge Whitworth's Multi, the machine that they made for more years than any other model. And similarly, no illustration of the Trusty Triumph Model H.

Beowulf - 1 Disc Edition [2007] [DVD]
Beowulf - 1 Disc Edition [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Winstone
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars What is all the fuss about...., 25 Jun. 2010
A thoroughly boring film which I have not managed to watch all the way through yet.

Strictly For Grown Ups
Strictly For Grown Ups
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars A real flashback to simpler days..., 25 April 2010
This review is from: Strictly For Grown Ups (Audio CD)
I have not heard Paddy Roberts songs since the 1960's and what a pleasure it was to do so. Listening to all those almost forgotten songs brought back so may happy memories of my slightly misspent youth.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6