Profile for Andrew John Walker > Reviews

Eubank: The Autobiography
Eubank: The Autobiography
by Chris Eubank

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our greatest Englishmen, 24 Mar. 2015
I have read a lot of sports autobiographies over the years. Chris Eubanks is one of my favourites.

It is not just about boxing, his personality and views flood onto the pages. He is obviously a well read individual and a deep thinker.

It is also laugh out loud funny at times. He has a unique sense of humour and some of his recollections about homeless people, views on cars and chocolate bars had me in tears.

To sum up.... Chris is a national treasure. Great book.

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI) [DVD] [1977]
Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI) [DVD] [1977]
Dvd ~ Mark Hamill
Offered by Rikdev Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Ahhhhhrrrg!, 16 May 2014
I thought I was buying the original theatrical versions. No mention on Amazon or on the box about it being the special editions from the 90s. I do not want to see a CGI Jabba or CGI Dewback, Greedo shooting first or any other stuff that George Lucas has decided to drag his balls across. 1977 release should mean as it was in 1977, with warts n all.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2015 8:13 AM BST

The Vikings
The Vikings
by Magnus Magnusson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book about the Vikings!, 17 July 2013
This review is from: The Vikings (Hardcover)
Having just watched the new Vikings TV show, i had the urge to read about the exploits of the Vikings. The first book i came across was a second hand copy of Magnus Magnusson's book, so after a quick click, i had bought it off amazon.

I read the book in a couple of nights at work. I found it very easy to read. It has details of their push and colonial exploits into England, Iceland, Greenland and information about Vinland expeditions. It is colourful and informative with details about individual vikings and kings. Also, there are engaging sections about archaeological digs and interesting treasures that have been found.

A fantastic read, Magnus is obviously very passionate about his heritage. It is a 'must buy' for anyone interested in this time in history.

Blood for a Dirty Dollar
Blood for a Dirty Dollar
by Joe Millard

3.0 out of 5 stars The man with no name returns...., 12 Feb. 2013
I never knew that they did spin off books from the dollars films, but I found out a few months back. Because I am such a fan of the films, I quickly snapped up some of Joe Millards books.

'Blood for a dirty dollar' is a good read and it has the wit and cunning of the films. It also has interesting characters straight from the west such as Sheriffs, bandits and gunslingers. It Also has a bit a humour along the way.

I was however, a bit put off with a castle in the storyline and bad guys in medieval armour. I think that slightly made it less wild west for me. I do not think it belonged.

So, not as good as the films by any means. But then what is?

The Little Prisoner: How a Childhood Was Stolen and a Trust Betrayed
The Little Prisoner: How a Childhood Was Stolen and a Trust Betrayed
by Jane Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars a very shocking but brilliant read..., 9 Feb. 2013
First thing.. I cannot understand the people who have reviewed this book badly, and are also critical of Janey. They do not seem to grasp what happens when a person is psychologically ripped to pieces and abused from being a youngster. It must destroy your confidence and make you believe there is no hope. This book highlights the the effects that her abuser had on her and details her state of mind. I think some people lack some basic human empathy. Part of having that ability is to imagine what you would do in such a situation.

The book is a uncomfortable read, and I worry about Britain and a minority of people in it. Where do characters who are this evil come from? Janeys mother and some of her brothers should hang their heads in shame. They really should be in jail with the step-father.

But books like this need to be read. The author herself mentions how 'A child called IT' moved her. Hopefully Little Prisoner will help other people understand situations better and gain strength.

At least Janey has broken the chain and now seems to have a brighter future. Good luck to her and her family!