Profile for MichalKR > Reviews

Content by MichalKR

MichalKR

Nike+ SportWatch GPS powered by TomTom - Black/Volt (discontinued by manufacturer) (discountinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for most of the runners, 13 July 2011
I have them from last week, synced 5-6 runs and I already love them. Veeeery easy to use, nobody would be left behind, everybody included:) Simple and clear menu. I bought them after I read quite a lot of reviews on various Garmins and Nike+ GPS (mine first GPS watch) and I feel I got what I wanted and expected. If you want to read really comprehensive reviews and comparisons, google dcrainmaker and you will find on his webpage all and beyond info on this and other GPS watch. Here are just my few notes from fresh experience.

GPS: Pick-up of the signal is quick, each time after maybe 100m of walk. I used them also without foot sensor and it lost the GPS signal only after 20m in tunnel under highway, otherwise perfect connection. I ran this morning in the rain, using also foot sensor and I had absolutely no issue at all with GPS signal and/or foot sensor. You can cheaply buy pouch sensor that fits all trainers also on Amazon.

Data: you can see on the display during the run all the usual data. Please note, that originally they didn't have the average pace, but that's changed via a firmware update, so the first time you connect them to your computer, they would be automatically updated, if they don't have the latest firmware.

Heart sensor: I'm using the one from Polar, after initial adjustments (I have never wore one before) it's working reliably.

Battery: I read it's better than most Garmins, but don't expect any miracles.

Requirement: availability of computer - for charging, setting etc. you can't do it without it.

Nike+ webpage: here I have an objection, sometimes it's hard to log in (although the sync worked automatically and always perfect insofar). Beta version is also available and that looks very good. Overall I love that it's not too scientific, but more like play and have fun, including setting up goals, participate in different challenges (by running and syncing your runs), but still contains all the data that I need and that keep me in touch with my runs. Maybe a real pro would need more, but for as general public that's fine enough.

I would gave it 4 stars, because the webpage reliability should be better, but I'm simply so satisfied, that I need to give them status of - I love it! - based on all the above, plus it's so nice after the run to see the sparkling stars message on breaking the record or other encouraging message.

If you want to have nicely looking GPS watch, that are easy to use and still giving you all the data you need, I guess you will not regret buying them.

UPDATE 30.08.2011: After running with the watch 420km, I'm lowering the rating from 5 to 3 stars:
- automatic connect and upload of runs is not working anymore (not unusual as I see), I need to manually open application and then it uploads
- current pace is completely unreliable, floating too much
- this morning all my runs have been deleted from the watch, while connected to my mac. Fortunately they remained on website.
- interval running doesn't include warm-up and coold down setting and as I want to keep the total mileage becuase of my endurance plan I follow, I don't want to start them after warm up
- "quick start" with shoe pod is not working as declared - if chosen, the watch stop trying to link the satellite. I thus don't have GPS data (elevation etc.) on one of my longer runs (25km), which is not nice.
Will keep you updated, if I decide to return them or not.