Profile for cougarric > Reviews

Content by cougarric

cougarric (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Wireless Microphone (Xbox 360)
Wireless Microphone (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing, 24 Feb. 2010
I bought this for use in Beatles Rock Band as I already had a wired mic from Rock Band itself.

I expected this to do the same as the wired one except having the freedom of being wireless. However, whilst this is true, there is a major problem with the "tambourine" element of it. It simply does not register correctly and fails to be usable at any point of these sections in songs.

Shame really, but it is not worth buying.

Silver Spoons & Broken Bones
Silver Spoons & Broken Bones
Offered by PressPlay

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 July 2008
Just to set the scene, I am late 30's and a fan of rock/metal in general. I can enjoy anything from Matchbox 20 to Metallica.
I wasn't expecting too much from Stone Gods, but seeing the Classic rock review made me sit up and take notice. I'm glad I did.
The first few listens were encouraging. Burn The Witch being the best. Similar to the Darkness in terms of riffing but this time supporting by the awesome rock vocals of Richie Edwards. A perfect match.
The songs are all great. Not a single filler, and a lot of variation, but not too much so that you find the album disjointed.
There's a few potential commercial singles, but thankfully they sit nicely with the rest of the (heavier) songs and don't sound out of place at all.
I'd played the album around 10 times when it suddenly became a "repeat play" album - something which doesn't happen too often with me these days. The only song I do skip is the final one O Whereo my beero, which is ok but a little pedestrian compared to the sheer quality before it.
I checked out how the album and singles had done just now and couldn't believe how lacklustre the sales have been. The Darkness' hype obviously made the difference because this albums kicks both of their albums into touch and deserves so much more.
Awesome songs, awesome singing, awesome riffing. Buy it.

Humanity - Hour 1 [Limited Edition]
Humanity - Hour 1 [Limited Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album but don't waste your money on the Ltd edition, 5 Jun. 2007
The Scorps sound fantastic on this album. There's a great balance between the heavy and the more ballady stuff, and some of the songs are the best they've written in some time. Love will keep us alive is an awesome ballad, and by rights should be a huge hit. Opener Hour I is a powerful beast of a song that starts it off in good style, whereas the final one Humanity rounds it all off nicely.

In terms of comprisons to other Scorps albums, I can't really find any. It's certainly latter day in sound but it's still different to any other recent one.

Anyway, the main reason I've posted this is to warn people off buying the Ltd edition version. It's not worth the money. A 13 minute behind the scenes, a new song, which incidentally can only be played on the dvd and can't be burnt to cd, and a picture gallery that repeats after about 20 pics. Not good for the extra £6.

Great album though.

Fuzion Frenzy 2 (Xbox 360)
Fuzion Frenzy 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by marxwax

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a party game, and it does that well enough., 20 Feb. 2007
The game by itself certainly doesn't push the 360 to the limit. Although in HD, the gfx are fairly poor and not that well animated. 2/5 for that.
However, get on xbox live and play with 3 others and the fun aspect kicks in. Quick and simple games which anyone can pick up straight away, make this an ideal game for when you have friends around.

Need for Speed: Carbon (Xbox 360)
Need for Speed: Carbon (Xbox 360)
Offered by PROGAMES

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 28 Dec. 2006
I wasn't expecting much from this game until I tried the demo. So, I went out and bought it, and glad I did.

Pros

The handling is superb and intuitive

The graphics are amazing.

The presentation is immaculate.

The races are quick and it's easy to progress through without getting stuck for ages on a frustrating race.

It's great fun

Cons

None I can think of. Some people have compared it to previous versions. I haven't because I haven't played any of the recent ones, so it's an open minded opinion.

It's basically a very slickly presented, very playable game. I've only played offline at the moment as I have been engrossed in single player. But everything about that is spot on.

Blood Sweat and Towers
Blood Sweat and Towers
Offered by davidw_1212

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer album, 16 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Blood Sweat and Towers (Audio CD)
Apart from the negative creep who gave this one star this album has been getting great reviews on here, and rightly so. It's brilliant.

Having first heard the band on the TV show they are in I didn't realise how much I'd learnt the songs by the time I got the album. Each one is excellent and fresh. They don't sound like a throwback band at all, more like they're re-inventing something already great.

You get the standard punk rock tunes (albeit very good ones) mixed with a bit of acoustic and a bit of balladry, all making a nice tight varied album.

If you are a fan or punk you'll like this and even if you're not, the band has enough tunes to get even the casual music fan interested. And I haven't even mentioned how bloody entertaining they are to watch!

Great, get it!

Strand Aspex Contour 3 - 680 Glass Entertainment Unit / TV Stand for TVs up to 28" ( 37" LCD / Plasma TVs with overhang ) with 3 toughend glass shelves

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stand at a great price, 5 Dec. 2006
I bought this for a 28 Sony Widescreen CRT. I was concerned on whether the TV would dwarf the stand a little, but when it arrived I was very pleased. It's a perfect fit and because it's glass it doesn't dominate the surroundings.

It looks smart, was easy to set up, and is cheap. Perfect!

V
V
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but brilliant!, 13 Jun. 2006
This review is from: V (Audio CD)
I have fought the cause for this album many times over the years. Many Live fans dislike this album. Some of us, however, rate it highly.

There are comments about silly electronic noises ruining the album. I don't agree at all. Yes, there are sounds on there that aren't on a normal Live album, but they don't interfere, in fact I'd say they enhance the sound and create a new flavour to Live's catalogue.

The songs are as strong as any Live album so far, except perhaps Throwing Copper. The rockier ones such as Flow and Deep Enough are as strong and as heartfelt as earlier tracks like Stage and Lakini's Juice for example.

The album has a lot of variety, and the majority of it is excellent. However it is let down by Ok and Ride. Thankfully the final two tracks - Overcome and Hero of Love soon clear up the mess.

As an authentic Live album I'd say this album will disappoint some. However, if you can listen to the quality of the songs within you may get something from it.

As an album in it's own right, I'd recommend it to any rock fan. It's got great melody, emotion and an up vibe that I think the band needed at this time. It must have worked because they followed it with the equally great Birds of Pray.

Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones - Black
Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones but unreliable, 19 Jan. 2006
The sound on these headphones is great. The bass is particularly good. They fit nice and don't fall out of my ears when tugged gently. Also good is the little plastic case for keeping the phones in when not in use. This really does stop the wires tangling. So far, so good.
However, after about 12 mths I noticed the left earphone wasn't as loud. I put this down to my mp3 player and reset the balance on that to compensate. The levelled the volume but at the same time made it quieter overall. A few days later the sound seemed to correct itself and I continued to use the headphones without any problems...until now. After approximately 18 mths the same thing has happened except this time it hasn't rectified itself. I tried my mp3 player with different headphones and found that it wasn't to blame after all, it was the Sony headphones. I have listened carefully and it is the bass in the left headphone that has reduced.
Over the years I have chosen Sony as my preferred brand. I have bought numerous sets of headphones and each time they have stopped working properly due to bad connections. I look after my phones, taking care not to damage them but they still manage to give up after a relatively short period of time. I like to pay a bit more if I am getting quality, which I am in terms of sound and comfort, but this cost makes it all pointless when they barely last.
5/5 for the sound/comfort
2/5 for the value for money

One Way Ticket To Hell ... And Back
One Way Ticket To Hell ... And Back
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten bona fide hit singles on one album!, 1 Dec. 2005
I'm lost for words. This album is brilliant!
I bought it not expecting too much. Sure I liked Permission To Land but even then I had to be in the right mood to listen to it.
The first few listens didn't bode too well. Usual Darkness I thought without the hit singles. Then it suddenly hit me whilst listening to the horribly titled "Bald". This song is awesome and possibly the best hair metal song in the last 20 years. It has everything, dynamics, harmonies, brutal guitar riffs and a wonderful song structure. 10/10 for that and a good reason alone to get the album.
I ended up playing "Bald" non stop and neglected the rest for a few hours. The rest can't compare to that I thought. But after play number twenty odd I decided to play the whole thing. The whole album now sounded immense, with great track upon even greater track coming one after the after. The title track and single is better than I first thought and fits in with the album nicely despite nothing else on it sounding remotely like it.
My opinion on the album track by track is...
The Pan Pipes Opening: 9/10 love it, a great intro
One Way Ticket: 8/10 not as good as previous singles but still damn good.
Knockers: Possibly my least fave. It is getting better each play though.
Is It Just Me?: 9/10 Awesomely catchy. Single perhaps?
Dinner Lady Arms: 10/10 This is definitely a single. Brilliant catchy song with some great "woaaah's". If you know what I mean.
Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time: 8/10 A mid paced ballady type thing. Not my fave but could also do well as a single.
Hazel Eyes: 8/10 Hated it at first with it's overtly scottish jig sound. It's growing on me now and despite it still being slightly annoying and cringeworthy it is still a good and definitely unique song.
Bald: 11/10 What more can I say about this one. It is the best song I have heard in ages.
Girlfriend: 10/10 It'd take a good song to follow "Bald", and this doesn't stand out as a letdown. Great chorus again and as good a single as you'd find.
English Country Garden: 9/10 As good as girlfriend but loses points due to an ever so slightly cheesy edge. On the whole its brilliant though.
Blind Man: 9/10 Boring ballad. I thought so at first but this has really grown on me (that phrase is catching!) and it is now a great end to an awesome record.
Some would deduct marks for the short length of the album (approx 35 mins), but I see it as a bonus. Why have 30 mins more music if the quality suffers and you only end up playing it once or twice a week? I've had this album on repeat play for three days now, something which I could never do with any of the 60+ min releases these days. Most will say that more music on a cd equates to better value, but the time I'd spend listening to short but excellent albums will far outstrip the time spent listening to the latest triple cd extravaganza from the latest trend setting quantity over quality artist out there. So there you go. The Darkness are VFM too! and they sound even more like early Queen than ever now - forgot to mention that before! :-) )
Oh, and a special mention for the cocaine snorting at the start of the title track. These guys crack me up!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5