Profile for David Parker > Reviews

Aputure Amaran Halo AHL-HN100 CRI 95+ LED Macro Ring Flash Light for Nikon DSLR
Aputure Amaran Halo AHL-HN100 CRI 95+ LED Macro Ring Flash Light for Nikon DSLR
Offered by LKdeals

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically useful ringlight!, 21 Oct. 2015
Aware of the vignetting that this device causes with larger diameter lenses I bought it anyway as I needed it for a specific job where cut-off wasn't an issue. I am using it for photogrammetry - creating a CGI, 3D object from many viewpoints (sculpture in museums where flash is banned). For this reason I didn't use the 'flash' setting, which is a bit of a gimmick actually. For the price though, this is an absolutely invaluable tool with a wide variety of uses!
I want to suggest that Aputure take the next step and produce a companion ringlight with an aperture big enough to sit behind the front edge of lenses that have a diameter of 77mm, getting rid of the vignetting altogether. I know that a number of buyers have complained about this also. If they could also double the light output, it would be a unique and world-beating ringlight.
Buy without hesitation - it's a bargain

Selfie Stick, TaoTronics Bluetooth Remote Shutter Extendable Monopod Universal for iPhone Samsung and other IOS and Android Smartphone
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! Peering into inaccessible spaces a great bonus., 12 April 2015
I was sent this Selfie Stick by the manufacturers for review, but I am really very impressed with it. The build quality is excellent - very solidly built but lightweight and compact. I've tried it with both Android and Mac smartphones and once the appropriate software was installed the TT-SH10 had no difficulty linking up. The ability to swivel and rotate the phone easily makes this stick a delight to use - it's clearly been very well thought out. An unexpected but valuable bonus of this device is to enable viewing into inaccessible spaces. We have a very restricted loft space and it's difficult to view the interior to check on roof leaks and the interior of the water tank. The TT-SH10 is the perfect solution to this dilemma. There must be a thousand other such situations where peering around otherwise impossible corners is now a doddle! I haven't said what fun this device is to use - if you have children, they will absolutely love it, it will keep them creatively occupied for hours. The stick is worth it for this alone!

Car Mount, TaoTronics Universal Air Vent Holder Smartphone Car Holder, Car Cradle for iPhone Samsung Galaxy Nexus LG Nokia Xperia Moto HTC, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant solution to an irritating problem, 12 April 2015
I was sent this item for review and have no hesitation about recommending it. For me it is the perfect hands-free solution and is especially valuable when travelling abroad in a hired car and wanting to use google drive/maps, where you either have to place the phone on the passenger seat or prop it up in the drinks holder - neither of which are satisfactory or safe. When mounted correctly the phone is very secure and easily positioned to the correct angle. The spring-loaded clips hold the phone very securely and I have no worries about it falling off. Being rubber coated the clips won't scratch the phone. The build quality is excellent and I've no doubt I shall be using it for many years to come. All in all, this is a simple yet ingenious solution to an irritating problem. I won't be leaving home without it.
Comment Comment | Permalink

StarTech 2 Port USB DVI KVM Switch with Audio and Cables
StarTech 2 Port USB DVI KVM Switch with Audio and Cables

1.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully made but badly designed, 15 Mar. 2015
Beautifully made but badly designed switch. Be warned, it doesn't work with a wireless mouse/keyboard. The supplied cables are so stiff that they have a 'life of their own' and cannot be bent into a tidy configuration, and being opposite the monitor output cable, make for a large cumbersome mess on the work surface. The four footpads on the base of the unit are therefore an aspirational joke unless you plan to place a heavy weight on the unit. The mic/speaker cables are the same length as the DVI cables, which as I say are very stiff, so the smaller cables are constantly under tension of being pulled out by the larger cables. The mic/speaker cables need to be twice the length they are. Almost the worst feature of the unit is the constantly flashing changeover switch - I found this so distracting that even if the switch worked I would still have returned it. Finally, the cost - I replaced this switch with an Aten CS682 from the very helpful kvmswitchdirect. It's £30 cheaper and works like a charm.

Desk Lamp, TaoTronics Table Lamps LED Elune Touch Control, 5-Level Dimmable (4 Lighting Modes, Flexible Arm, 1-Hour Auto Timer, 5V/1A USB Port, Foldable Lamp) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, functional and very versatile lamp, 5 Jun. 2014
Had I not been sent this lamp for review I might have remained ignorant of what an excellent device it is. The dimmable, variable colour temperature control may seem like an unnecessary embellishment but actually it is extremely useful. The bright higher range of 5000K is perfect for hobbies that involve painting, since our eyes can't accurately perceive colours in tungsten light - 3200K, which is typical ambient room colour-temperature. I use it mainly for reading so have it on the lower setting, and the dimmer facility helps adjust the light perfectly. Because the light comprises several rows of LED's the light quality is also very soft and easy on the eye. I like the fact that the base is very solid and stable with a soft under-surface that prevents table and shelf surfaces being scratched. My only suggestion for improvement would be the inclusion of a small battery to accumulate the A/C charge when not in use. Otherwise this is a terrific light and super value at £40.

ZBrush Character Creation: Advanced Digital Sculpting
ZBrush Character Creation: Advanced Digital Sculpting
by Scott Spencer

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an outstanding book!, 31 May 2011
I cannot praise this book too highly, the tutotials on the DVD are worth the price alone. Scott Spencer is a superbly gifted teacher, clear, fluid and inspirational. As a Zbrush virgin I was able to make progress very quickly, but when I hit a small snag I contacted the author who promptly supplied me with a short bespoke video to clarify, and a promise to make a small edit in future editions! Now I call that service above and beyond the call of duty. Apart from the book being in colour, essential when discussing polygroups, another plus about this book is it's perfect physical size. It can be laid open on the desk without the need for masses of paperweights and the binding is flexible enough to 'relax' when open. Rush out and buy a copy without hesitation!