Profile for Iona Main Stewart > Reviews

Content by Iona Main Stewart
Top Reviewer Ranking: 164

Iona Main Stewart (Odense, Denmark)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Are You Dreaming?: Exploring Lucid Dreams: A Comprehensive Guide
Are You Dreaming?: Exploring Lucid Dreams: A Comprehensive Guide
by Daniel Love

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive account of lucid dreaming, though I found it quite boring, 15 Oct. 2016
I'm extremely interested in lucid dreaming, but I only got halfway through this book. I just didn't find it particularly exciting or readable, though I might have persevered more with it, had the library not been pestering me to return it.

But I concede that the author writes well and gives us a comprehensive and detailed account of the various aspects of the subject, including an interesting “brief history” of lucid dreaming.

One of the aspects the author finds important is reality testing. We are instructed that if we keep testing whether or not we are awake or dreaming in our everyday waking life, then this will eventually affect our dreams, so we will find ourselves doing these checks there too, with perhaps a positive result, i.e. provoking lucidity.

Though, as far as I'm concerned, it all seems rather ludicrous, since when I'm awake I always know that I am, since my dreams are always very vague and “dreamy”; In dreams I rarely see anything clearly or focus on people's faces. I had a dream the other day featuring the well-known American physician, Dr. Mercola. I had some coconut oil with me in a gym, and he suddenly came over and started using it without asking my permission; I didn't see his face, just knew it was him. I did see the coconut oil, first in one place, then in another. Daniel Love has various strange, but presumably effective, tests, morphing text test, digital watch test, and the nose pinch test, he advises us to use several times throughout the day.

He declares that the reality test is the “core of lucid dream practice”.

He divides lucid dreams into two categories, DILDs and WILDs.

DILDS (Dream Initiated Lucid Dreams) are by far the most common form. The experience is of discovery that you are dreaming whilst dreaming. “ – they are triggered by the dreamer noticing an inconsistency (a dreamsign) during the dream, which brings them to the realization that they are dreaming”. Ha, ha, I can dream about all sorts of strange things, but they all seem perfectly normal to me in dreams, and I certainly don't realize I'm dreaming for this reason. Last night I dreamt that I was sitting at the back of a minibus with Bill Clinton and Helen Mirren sitting together at the front, It didn't seem strange to me that I was in a little bus together with these famous people.

WILDs (Wake initiated lucid dreams) are more elusive, and are experiences where you fall asleep “consciously directly into a dream”. You slip “with full awareness into a dream world”.

He informs us of the substance galantamine which can help to elicit lucid dreams. The net tells me that it is a substance given to Alzheimer`s patients!; I'm not sure how safe it is to take, or where I would get hold of it. Fortunately, I'm not sure that my doctor would give me a prescription for it!

He doesn't mention guayusa tea, which can apparently help tremendously, if you drink enough of it. It is also marketed under the name “lucid dreaming tea”. It hasn't helped me at all, but then I only drink a single cup of it, since it contains a lot of caffeine, and I don't want to have to keep drinking it so as to avoid withdrawal symptoms. However, I have found that drinking a single cup of mugwort tea greatly improves dream recall.

I found the chapter on lucidity techniques rather boring and this is where I got stuck in the book.

I can't recommend the book, though readers who persevere may well find many interesting and helpful things in it.

The End of Diabetes: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Diabetes
The End of Diabetes: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Diabetes
by Joel Fuhrman

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read on nutrition for a long time!, 5 Oct. 2016
This is one of the few good books around about how to tackle and heal diabetes – I have previously reviewed quite a few atrocious books on the subject, particularly those published by Reader's Digest.

First, I will point out a few minuses about the book. Dr. Fuhrman is not yet privy to the new research regarding cholesterol and saturated fats; both kinds of cholesterol are necessary for our bodies, and when high cholesterol is found in persons with health problems, this is because the additional cholesterol is coming to the rescue. Low cholesterol can be deadly. Also, consuming cholesterol-containing foods does not affect our blood cholesterol (see the books mentioned at the end of the review). However, the author's lack of knowledge about these points does not affect the excellence of the book.

It primarily addresses the problems endured by type 2 diabetes patients, though the author's diet solution can also assist type 1 diabetes patients, and all others, too.

Dr. Fuhrman has worked with and assisted thousands of patients to reduce their weight and eradicate their diabetes; in fact, he advises hundreds of other doctors so they too can help heal their patients of the disease,

His system is based on the equation: “Your Health future (H) = Nutrients (N)/Calories (C). This means that one's health is determined by the nutrient-per-calorie density of one's diet, “When you eat more foods that have a high-nutrient density and fewer foods with a low-nutrient density your health will dramatically improve and your diabetes will melt away.”

He calls his diet “Eat to live”, and I see he is the author of a book of that name.

This book presents a fascinating, successful case history at the start of each chapter.

The author gives precise instructions regarding reducing and completely cutting out insulin and other medications.

The diet he recommends is a vegan diet, though one can eat a few non-vegan products, if desired. It is a vegetable-based diet composed mostly of “greens, beans, nuts and seeds”.

With this diet, there will be no highs or lows in blood sugar. The patient will be able to reduce medications in the first week, and typically by 100 % within six months. The need for insulin is eliminated, usually within the first week. The patient will gain a normal, lean body weight, a normal life span, the reversal of diabetes and prevention of diabetes-related complications.

“The bottom line is this; you can get rid of your diabetes, not just `manage` it.”

The author informs us that following a good diet and exercise plan as a remedy should not be labelled alternative medicine. “It is simply the way all properly educated doctors should be practicing. Everything else should be called malpractice medicine.”

I love Dr. Fuhrman's strict, uncompromising attitude and statements, also as regards the necessity of exercise. “Exercise is your prescription of choice.” Type 2 diabetes is caused by too little exercise and too much fattening food. There is no excuse for not exercising. Time is not an excuse. “If you have time to take a shower, brush your teeth, and go to the bathroom daily, you can put aside ten minutes twice a day to exercise.” Walking up flights of stairs is the very best exercise.” He gives us precise, detailed instructions regarding other easy ways to exercise.

He calls his diet a “nutritarian” diet and compares it to the SAD (Standard American diet) – an appropriate name! The SAD consists of foods from low-nutrient, high-calorie processed foods, animal products, dairy products, and sweets; whereas natural plants such as vegetables and beans contain thousands of protective micronutrients, such as antioxidants and phytochemicals. “When we eat a diet rich in colorful plant foods, we glean a full symphony of nutritional factors that enable better cell functions and resistance to aging and stress.

“Micronutrients are nutrients that appear in trace amounts in foods but are essential for health and growth and that do not contain calories.”

The secret for losing weight and improving your health is not to count calories, but to focus on micronutrients. “True health lies in a high-quality diet – eating foods packed with micronutrients.”

He explains the difference between true hunger and toxic hunger.

He is a wonderful proponent for eating a vegan diet – we must eat more foods rich in vegetable protein and less of the foods with animal protein. He has devoted several pages to the advantages of going vegan.

We learn about resistant starch; this is difficult to digest, and the more resistant starch that reaches the colon undigested, the fewer calories are absorbed from that food. Calories from resistant starch are listed on the food labels, but almost 90% of those calories do not get absorbed and they do not raise blood sugar at all. Resistant starch is especially associated with one type of SCFA (short-chain fatty acids) called butyrate, which “offers a wide array of health benefits, including strong protection gainst colon cancer”. It improves diabetic glucose numbers the day after it's eaten.

Beans are the very best source of resistant fibre, and the resistant starch found in beans powerfully reduces hunger.

The book contains recommended menus, including really good recipes.

It comprises much, much more than I have had space to mention, and I recommend it highly. It's the best book on nutrition I've read for years!

Additional reading: 1) “Fat and cholesterol are good for you” – Uffe Ravnskov. 2) “The great cholesterol con” – Malcolm Kendrick

How Enlightenment Changes Your Brain: The New Science of Transformation
How Enlightenment Changes Your Brain: The New Science of Transformation
by Dr Andrew Newberg

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile and inspiring, except for the authors' use of the word "enlightenment", 4 Oct. 2016
At first, I thought this was a great book right up my street, but then it began to bother me that the authors hadn't really defined “Enlightenment” to my satisfaction, and seemed to be using the word incorrectly. I couldn't find a definition of “Enlightenment” with a capital “E” in any of my dictionaries either; The Oxford English dictionary merely states “knowledge and understanding”.

What I understand by Enlightenment is a certain highly advanced state of being, which happens at a certain point, or perhaps gradually, I wouldn't know, where the enlightened master has special understanding and powers. On the net, I found the definition “ a final spiritual state marked by the absence of desire or suffering” (in Buddhism).This is the best I can find for my understanding of the term. When I think of Enlightenment I think of David R. Hawkins, who in his books has described to us the advanced spiritual states he experienced, and his special healing powers.

The authors of the present book talk merely of “big Es” and “little Es”. In the book, we are given examples of some of these experiences in the persons' own words. In one account, God testified to the experiencer “that the Heavenly Father” does not exist”. How can God testify that He does not exist, or what is meant by the “Heavenly Father” if the two are not one and the same? Einstein had a special experience in connection with a book on Euclidean geometry. Most of these so-called “enlightenments” were absorbing to read, though one person's account (by an atheist) was dismissive of the very existence of spiritual experiences.

Throughout the years, I myself have had many wonderful spiritual experiences, including one at age 14 that Susan Shumsky assures me was a unity consciousness experience, but I have never thought or felt that any of these had to do with Enlightenment, nor did they lead to it.

Perhaps it's all a matter of the definition of “Enlightenment”. But I do feel that the authors' use of the word is misleading, thus, in fact, the whole premise and title of the book may be misleading.

During a meditation, Andrew Newberg himself had an intense spiritual experience where he found himself immersed in a “sea of Infinite Doubt”. He had wanted to eradicate doubt but discovered that “the only certainty is Doubt”. But in this Infinite Sea, everything was unified and connected. It was the most comfortable and blissful experience had had ever had.

The authors establish that spiritual experiences (I won't call them “enlightenments”) relate to specific neurological events that can permanently change the structure and functioning of the brain. “ --- there is something very powerful going on inside the brain.”

What they term “Enlightenment” “ appears to involve a sudden shift of consciousness that temporarily interrupts the way the brain normally responds to the world.”

The chapter entitled “What is Enlightenment?” is excellent; spiritual experiences of Tolstoy and Richard Bucke are described and William James'”Varieties of Religious Experience” (my favourite book in my adolescent years) is referred to. Bucke identified common elements of the “cosmic consciousness” process, which included:

- A subjective experience of inner light”
- A deepening of moral or spiritual values
- An increased sense of intellectual illumination
- A feeling of immortality or eternity¨
- A loss of the fear of death
- A loss of the sense of sin or guilt
- An instantaneous awakening
- A lasting transformation of personality
The authors' foremost interest is, of course, the effect of spiritual experiences on the brain. They studied a group of Pentecostals who engaged in “speaking in tongues”. First they began to sing and dance as gospel music was played. This was associated with “increased frontal lobe activity”, but when they began to speak in tongues, “activity suddenly dropped in the frontal lobe”. When this happened, “they immediately felt an intense sense of unity” with something beyond themselves – the Holy Spirit”, surrendered themselves to the experience and felt transformed and healed.
They also found a drop in frontal lobe activity when they examined Sufi practitioners engaging in “Dhikr” – a powerful chanting and movement meditation.

Decreases in parietal lobe activity can also allow a person to have intense feelings of unity consciousness. In brain-scan studies of various spiritual practitioners, changes in the thalamus were also seen during specific practices like prayer and meditation, together with long-term changes in the function of the thalamus in people performing contemplative practices over many years.

There is a chapter entitled “Channelling 'supernatural entities'” where we are told about mediums communicating with the dead. I do not deem the phrase “supernatural entities” appropriate in this context; What do they mean by “supernatural”? “Entities” is also a strange way to describe spirits of the dead.

I didn't see the relevance of communication with the dead in a book purporting to be about enlightenment, but it turned out that the brains of these mediums showed a dramatic decrease in frontal lobe activity, similar to that observed in the Pentecostals when speaking in tongues.

In the latter part of the book, we are given various techniques for preparing for, or provoking, “Enlightenment”.

In conclusion, I would state that I found this to be an absolutely worthwhile, inspiring and very readable book about spiritual experiences; I just didn't agree with the authors'use of the word “enlightenment”. I would highly recommend the book.

P.S. I also think the authors should have talked to a few genuine enlightened masters and studied their brains.

GENIUS INTELLIGENCE: Secret Techniques and Technologies to Increase IQ: Volume 1 (The Underground Knowledge Series)
by James Morcan

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, stimulating book!, 27 Sept. 2016
I like this book because it's short (as opposed to this review), simply and clearly written, and addresses an engrossing subject.

Throughout the book the authors refer to their thriller series, The Orphan Trilogy, in which the lead character, Nine, and the other orphans are trained to have genius intelligence.

Previously, we believed that genius was solely a matter of being born with superior genes, but now we realize that genes can be both activated and deactivated, and through the “new” science of neuroplasticity our brains can be changed and much improved by the formation of new neural pathways.

We learn about “polymaths” – “geniuses in a wide variety of fields”, one notable example being Leonardo da Vinci, and polyglots, persons with the ability to master multiple languages; we're also instructed about the power of the subconscious. “Every genius throughout history – Tesla, Einstein, Da Vinci – tapped into the infinite power of their subconscious minds.”

Learning is much more effective when brainwaves such as alpha, gamma, theta and delta are activated, which occurs when subjects are “laughing, daydreaming, meditation, singing, dancing or spontaneously moving about”.

There are chapters on speed-reading, brainwave entrainment, brain gland activation, polyglots and savants, virtual reality, superluminal particles, Ormus, sensory deprivation, the high-IQ diet, smart drugs, etc, etc.

The authors state that a common goal in most brainwave entrainment technologies is hemispheric synchronization. This is the harmonization of the right and left hemispheres of the brain; “ --- when individuals have both hemispheres operating in similar brainwaves like this they are far more likely to learn and digest new information.”

They refer to Dr. Patrick Flanagan's Neurophone which “is currently being sold as an aid to speed learning”. I would complement this by recommending Bill Harris's Holosync technology, which I myself have been using for about a couple of years; this system is marketed as having the same effects as meditation, only eight times more powerful. Holosync forms new neural pathways in the brain and gradually develops and heals us both mentally and emotionally. Using Holosync leads to awareness, and awareness leads to choice, so we don't keep doing the same harmful things automatically and unconsciously.

Holosync leads to transformation of the personality as a whole. We learn self-reflective observation, where we watch our consciousness. Harris indicates that the programme also leads to awakening since its various levels are called “Awakening” 1, 2 and so on. He doesn't promise that we will achieve genius intelligence, though he himself does seem to have become pretty smart; anyway, I would affirm that spiritual development is even more important. Newberg & Waldman in their book “How enlightenment changes the brain” state “self-reflective observation and awareness activates (sic) structures in the brain directly associated with Enlightenment and transformation.

The book under review deals of course with genius intelligence and not enlightenment, so please excuse my digression.

In the chapter on brain gland activation we are informed about Transcranial direct current stimulation, or TDCS, which “enhances motor skills, memory recall, and concentration”.

In this connection, I would refer to Dr. Norman Doidge's two books on the brain (see the end of the review for details), which introduce us to many exciting and transformational items of technology such as K-lasers, LED lights, and the PoNS (Portable Neuromodulation Stimulator) which are currently healing severely brain-injured persons and transforming them from “idiots” to highly intelligent persons, potentially geniuses.

Some people seem to be born geniuses, but the authors point out that many of these have been exposed to special brain-training techniques in infancy/childhood.

Mentioned in the book are the famous tennis champions Venus and Serena Williams, who were trained by their father, Richard, from an early age with the explicit aim of making them tennis geniuses. Here, I would draw attention to the three Hungarian girls, Zsuzsa, Zsófia and Judit Polgár, who were deliberately trained by their dad, László, to be chess prodigies. He believed “geniuses are made, not born”. The middle sister, Zsófia, became an IM (International Master), the eldest Zsuzsa, became women's world champion, while the youngest, Judit, became a GM (Grandmaster) at 15, and the best woman chess player of all time. She was in the top 10 (of all players, both women and men) until she had her two children (babies do take up a lot of one's time and energy!), and in 2012 was still in the top 100. “She didn't bother competing for the women's world championship because she could have won it in her sleep.” (Stephen Moss)

The information on superluminal particles was new to me. We are told that “consciousness is a field of superluminal matter belonging to the true fundamental universe and --- our world is merely a subliminal holographic projection of it”.

Dr. Takaaki Musha claims that the superluminal field connects individuals with the “outer field of the universe”. “ --- he contends this may explain human consciousness as well as the collective mind of Mankind.”

Decoherence is explained to us. This measures the time to maintain the quantum coherence between particles. “If the decoherence time is long in an individual's brain, it permits the person to connect to the outer superluminal field easily”.

The relevance of all this is that Dr.Musha believes that decoherence time can be extended by mental training, whereby abilities like photographic memory and polymathing could result.

I admit I found the chapter on superluminal particles quite challenging.

An important chapter is that on Ormus, aka Orme or White Gold. Ormus is said to be a “secret method used to increase intelligence”. It balances both hemispheres of the brain and permits “whole brain learning”.

Ormus contains both gold and a number of other metals existing in the m-state – an unusual high spin state of matter where metals “don't form bonds or crystals but remain single atoms”.

Ormus is said to correct errors in the DNA and activate junk DNA (which is not junk at all, of course, in fact the opposite).

Neither had I heard of midbrain activation, which is achieved by the equal use of the right and left sides of the brain.

The authors state that millions of children in India, China, Malaysia and Singapore go to schools that specialize in activating the pupils' midbrains. “Such radical learning institutions are reportedly churning out geniuses by the veritable truckload” – Exciting!

In short, this absorbing book is well-written and absorbing; it introduces us to little-known information that will help us develop our brains and thus move towards genius intelligence. Highly recommended!

Additional reading: “The brain that changes itself” and “The brain's way of healing” by Norman Doidge, M.D. How enlightenment changes the brain by Andrew Newberg + Mark Waldman

Shadows Before Dawn: Finding The Light Of Self-Love Through Your Darkest Times
Shadows Before Dawn: Finding The Light Of Self-Love Through Your Darkest Times
by Teal Swan

4.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable exercises to teach yourself self-love, 15 Sept. 2016
A friend recommended this book to me, otherwise I would probably not have found it.

The author recounts her childhood and youth when she was abused by a “paedophile-sociopath”.

Subsequent to this abuse, Teal was addicted to cutting, was suicidal and loathed herself.

She realized she needed to learn to love herself, and thus this book presents “Teal's tool kit to self-love”. Self-love is the highest state of all. “If you begin to cultivate self-love, everything you have ever wanted for yourself and your life will come to be.”

The first tool is a useful question to ask ourselves. We should ask ourselves this question every day for a year whenever we need to make a decision. “”What would someone who loved themselves do?” Then, of course, we need to listen to the response we get and do that.
After the 365 days, it will be a habit for you to live your life in alignment with self-love.

Each chapter presents a new tool.

Tool 2 shows us that we are deserving, tool 3 shows us how to make our number one goal happiness. Tool 4 teaches us how to “fill up our own cup”. To do this we use the question: “What are some ways that I can think of to show love to myself?”; we then write a long list of things, Examples are: Writing a list of positive aspects about myself which I really believe, Not doing things that I don't want to do, Trusting in my higher self, and that if I “let go and trust”, I will flow in the direction of what is best for me. Teal gives us many suggestions but we should of course write our own list.

We are given 29 tools in all.

I have given the book 4 stars instead of 5 because I didn't find it that easy to read. But I found it to be an exceedingly valuable book, since self-love is one of the most important things we need to learn, perhaps the most important. This is a book one needs to purchase, so one has ime to work with all Teal's various tools, Highly recommended!

Ormus Modern Day Alchemy: Primer of Ormus Collection Processes Reference Edition
by Chris Emmons

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomprehensible to me, may be valuable to others, 15 Sept. 2016
Ormus or Ormes (Orbitally rearranged Monatomic Elements) are “metallic microclusters in a non-metallic state consisting of one or more atoms ---- in a high-spin state that endows them with unusual properties such as superconductivity, superfluidity, supercurrent --- and magnetic levitation”.

Ormus has been proven to be “extremely beneficial to plants and animals, and people who have taken (it) report many healing, rejuvenating and spiritually enlightening effects”.

The book seems exclusively to consist of various methods or “processes” to “make” Ormus or perhaps, rather, to prepare it for use.

I found these to be extremely obscure and difficult. I give the book 2 stars instead of 1 star since it does seem to contain a wealth of, presumably valuable, information. But for me it was useless.

I understand, however, that Ormus can be purchased ready for use, though the quality of some of these products may be doubtful.

I cannot recommend the book except perhaps to scientists and/or extremely practical people.

Whatever Arises, Love That: A Love Revolution That Begins with You
Whatever Arises, Love That: A Love Revolution That Begins with You
by Matt Kahn

5.0 out of 5 stars Love your own heart and heal all other hearts!, 13 Sept. 2016
I first got to know Matt Kahn by seeing his videos, which I found to be enlightening; he told us that when listening to his words we received healing energy.

He also informed us that his words were channelled and often he didn't remember what he had said, since they weren't his own words. (I've experienced this myself on one occasion when spontaneously channelling advice to a friend.) Often he doesn't know what he thinks about a certain topic, until he is asked, after which the channelled words flow out of him.

In the introduction to this book, Matt tells us that also when reading his words we receive a transmission of presence /healing energy.

The teachings that emanate through Matt are always “rooted in the vibration of love”. He tells us that “an endless depth of harmony, ease, and grace has been encoded throughout this book to heal every particle of your existence, at the rate in which you allow love to enter your world”.

As a child, Matt interacted with higher dimensional beings and saw energies others couldn't see. He had “timeless encounters” with Jesus and conversations with deceased relatives. He regularly communicated with angels and Ascended Masters who visited him in his bedroom. He also met teachers and guides such as Melchizedek, Archangel Michael, Quan Yin, and St. Germain.

As a young adult, Matt was guided to deliver intuitive messages to people he'd never met.

In seeing the Archangels, Ascended Masters, and himself as “equal expressions of one eternal truth” a spontaneous awakening occurred within him.

He tells us he is blessed to support our journey, no matter how progressively or slowly our hearts desire to open.

The book contains powerful healing mantras created by the Universe to ensure our success. By reciting each mantra out loud, we are able to more clearly remember our eternal nature as well as fine tune our own intuitive guidance.

Matt's message is “Whatever arises, love that”. As our heart opens, we are able to see how every circumstance and detail of life has been created only to help us grow on a spiritual level.

All that is required is a willingness to open our heart. Cultivating unconditional love is an essential stage in the completion of our journey.

This is “a love revolution that begins with you”.

“When your heart is open, you are able to notice that anything you are feeling is part of a healing taking place within you”.

“ --- a willingness to experience each moment as an opportunity to heal clears out layers of cellular memory to make room for the emergence of heart-centered consciousness”.

The cellular debris cleared out of one person simultaneously assists in the healing of all.

Our highest purpose is for every emotion to be recognized as an opportunity to return to love for the healing, awakening, and transformation of all.

Here is one short healing mantra to be repeated:

“I accept that this feeling is only here to be embraced as it's never been embraced before”.

As in his videos, Matt invites us to say “I love you” to our heart. In a “soft, supportive, and gentle tone”, say “I love you” like a lullaby you would sing to a child, Say it for a two-minute period.

Your heart can be seen as the centre of the Universe.

When you love your own heart, the love is sent to all hearts in existence.

Matt explains how we can turn negative comments made by others into a gift; the value of honesty; and the healing power of compliments.

He tells us about the various types of inflammation we may suffer from and how love can dissolve them.

Once when I was on a course with an acclaimed “spiritual” therapist, he asked us to tell him what we were good at. I said that I was good at listening to others. But no, no, that was no good, he said, that didn't count, that wasn't anything of value. However, I knew that this was not true, and in this book Matt vindicates me. He explains that an awakened being knows listening to be the most direct way to remind someone of their highest value. “When listening you give others a chance to be on the receiving end of your loving attention, which allows their subconscious mind to match your vibration”.

The book is elegantly, divinely written, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It will provide you with healing, help to open your heart, and thus also that of others, and expedite your path of awakening. But I must warn you that it is no easy read, and it may take a while to digest its content.

The Mockery Bird
The Mockery Bird
by Gerald Durrell

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining story, just not hilarious like many of Durrell's previous writings, 7 Sept. 2016
This review is from: The Mockery Bird (Paperback)
At first I was disappointed by this book since it was not written in the “I” form like most of Durrell's books, and it was not as laugh-aloud funny as most of them.

But when I got into it, I began to appreciate it better. It is the story of Peter Foxglove, who is sent out as an assistant political advisor to the island of Zenkali, The colourful King of Zelkali is called “Kingy”, and the cast of the book is composed of various other eccentric and amusing characters, including a female Reverend who is not exactly meek and mild.

There are two opposing tribes on the island called the Ginkas and the Fangouas. The God of the Fangouas was a curious bird termed the Mockery Bird, which had been eaten to extinction by the French. (The French are notoriously fond of their food.)

At the same time as the Mockery Bird became extinct, a peculiar tree, called the Ombu tree produced a fruit that formed an important part of the Mockery Bird's diet: These trees also vanished except for one old tree.

There is a “baddy” in the book too, the evil Looja, and a disgusting unkempt scientist, Droom.

The British Government is planning to turn the island into an important military installation, and this will involve building a dam and an airfield.

Peter gets together with a sympathetic girl called Audrey and together they make an amazing discovery involving the Mockery Birds and Ombu trees.

This turned out to be quite an entertaining and enjoyable story with a moral associated with wildlife preservation, which was one of Durrell's areas of expertise.

I should warn you that some of the words used by Durrell are not today comme il faut, or politically correct.

The book is actually quite good, just not hilarious like many of Durrell's previous writings.

My Son and the Afterlife: Conversations from the Other Side
My Son and the Afterlife: Conversations from the Other Side
by Elisa Medhus M.D. M.D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating information that rings true for me, 6 Sept. 2016
This book tells of the communication between the author, a sceptical doctor, and her son, Erik, after he killed himself. This communication takes place with the aid of so-called spirit translators, first Kim and then Jamie.

Though Erik suffered from learning difficulties, Tourette's syndrome and bipolar disorder, he was a wonderful, non-judgemental person who could talk to anyone and listened to people with compassion. He had a big heart; he was loving, kind, understanding and willing to sacrifice for others.

After his death Erik began to visit friends and family in their dreams, communicated with them and played pranks on them.

Erik explains “that spirits can move objects by altering the energy field in front of or behind them”.

Erik uses at times rather obscene language, as he did when on Earth.

Elisa asks about the life review, and Erik tells her that you get to feel the “emotions and impressions that other people perceived of you. You get to see yourself, what you've done … You see yourself through other people. --- You're seeing through their eyes and feeling what they felt.”

There is sex and food on the other side, but it's “not physical like that” – it's different.

“There's no conflict in Heaven or Home. So when the human dies and becomes a spirit again, the ease of life is sometimes shocking --.”

There is Peace, Unconditional love, and telepathy. You can go wherever you want to go.

Other things Erik loves in Heaven are time travel, going back into your past lives, and the Akashic Records. “I go into (the library) and all my past lives, my future lives, my now lives, my afterlife lives are all finely tuned.”

In the Akashic Records, or the library, when you look for information it's like a never-ending page --- “You don't have to manually unroll it. The information just comes to you.”

Erik has a “welcome home” cake, and is offered therapy, which he accepts.

They can manifest anything they want. They imagine what they want to eat, and it's right there. They live where they want and how they want. (This fits in with Robert Monroe's descriptions of the afterlife in his three books.) They don't feel hot or cold, unless they want to. Thought creates reality instantly.

Erik says he's got “a very high level of enlightenment”. He figures he has one more lifetime to go and that's it.

He has a boat and his own place like a condo, a bachelor pad. They can “go out for pizza, have relationships, get married, it's just the same.” They have “their life's work as souls”, they travel and can have children. He has a leather couch and a big flat-screen television.

He informs us that anyone in spirit form knows what people on the earthly plane say. They eavesdrop on what we say, and on what we think and feel!

There are exciting chapters on death in general, on the life review, and on “the abilities of an untethered soul”.

Erik's life work now in Heaven is “bringing to light the story of teen suicide” and teaching and healing. There are spirits like counsellors who help people look at their life plans. They help those with torn energy to mend and heal.

In the afterlife there are energy healing centres, particularly for those who first cross over, or those who died of a sudden illness or had traumatic lives or deaths.

There are different areas of the afterlife based on different intensities and kinds of energies (again as described by Robert Monroe).

Atheists have a “narrower vibration – a different vibrational afterlife”.

There are fascinating, deep chapters on souls, the nature of consciousness, time and space, matter and reality, love and fear, the nature of higher powers and “who are we and why are we here?”

The human spirit is never born, it's just a piece of the whole. Prime Source has always existed. We are the parts and the whole, like a hologram.

The book was even better than I'd expected, and I can't recommend it highly enough – I found it to be extremely important for those seeking metaphysical knowledge.

Lawrence Durrell: A Biography
Lawrence Durrell: A Biography
by Ian S. MacNiven

4.0 out of 5 stars Lengthy, detailed well-written and interesting, 1 Sept. 2016
I got hold of this book as an unrenewable library book, and thus was able to get through only a little of it, in view of its size.

If the book has a fault, it is its excessive detail and prodigious size. It begins by elucidating Durrell's ancestry on both sides of the family and telling us of his upbringing in India.

We learn about the whole family, which we also know from little brother Gerry's entertaining books about their life on Corfu. The most interesting parts of the present book were, perhaps obviously, about Larry's many relationships, including with the famous Henry Miller.

Though I admit I haven't read the whole book, I have looked through it; I didn't find much, if anything, about Larry's daughter Sappho's claims of having an incestuous relationship with her father: I had read elsewhere that Larry was obsessed with incest, and such a relationship would certainly have explained Sappho's mental/emotional problems and her eventual suicide.

Perhaps it was a drawback that the author was a personal friend of Durrell's, since then it might have been difficult for him to go into the negative aspects of his character and behaviour, including his drunkenness and violence when drunk,

I would quite have liked to have read this well-written book in its entirety, but decided that despite its qualities life was too short to spend reading it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20