Profile for Bugs > Reviews

Bugs

I've been high
I've been high

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking!, 27 Feb. 2016
This review is from: I've been high (MP3 Download)
Sublime! This will break your heart, it is so beautifully sung

The Beadle - A Novel of South Africa
The Beadle - A Novel of South Africa

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story of the veld, 14 Aug. 2014
A tender, moving, beautifully written story of innocence betrayed but ultimately uplifting. It has been described by someone far more literary than I as 'delicate and precise as the most accomplished needlework'.

King Lear [DVD]
King Lear [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian McKellen

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lear Initiation, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: King Lear [DVD] (DVD)
Dare I admit that this is my first introduction to King Lear: it was not one of the Shakespeare plays I studied at school. Anyway, with the help of an aid to the written work, I was able to view the DVD more fruitfully and very good it was too. It was passionate, atmospheric and conveyed the depths of human behaviour, both noble and heinous very well. It was finely acted by all parties but here is my one gripe: Ian McKellan gave his all to the character but his diction was unintelligible - couldn't understand a word!

Quartet [DVD]
Quartet [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars A Delicious Wallow, 4 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
As an elderly person who loves music and opera I was looking forward to the release of this dvd and it did not disappoint. It captured the foibles, cantankerousness and frailties of the characters with empathy and gentle humour. With such a stellar cast it was, of course, beautifully acted and setting was stunning. I thought the ending was quite clever in that the aging actors were not required to 'murder' the music but the sublime score was allowed to speak for itself. This was an hour or two of real pleasure.

AN ENDLESS STRUGGLE: Reminisciences and Reflections (One Man's Odyssey through Nazis and Hollywood Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Journey, 26 April 2012
Paul Kuttner invites the reader to accompany him on a journey from the seismic events of his youth in prewar Berlin to the present day in New York. Along the way we meet the colourful characters (many of them big names in Hollywood) that have shaped his life. Each anecdote and memory forms a piece in the mosaic of this fascinating autobiography

Verdi: Otello - Metropolitan Opera (Levine) [DVD] [NTSC] [1996] [2004]
Verdi: Otello - Metropolitan Opera (Levine) [DVD] [NTSC] [1996] [2004]
Dvd ~ Plácido Domingo

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragedy and Passion brought to life, 21 April 2012
The story of Othello covers every human quality,weakness, foible and evil and this production vividly realises the drama and passion as the story unfolds. The acting of the three main characters is superb. Placido Domingo, although perhaps not quite so tonally beautiful in the upper register as in his younger years, draws huge emotional depth from his performance. James Morris (whom I didn't know) is a wonderfully scheming Iago and in very fine voice throughout. Renee Fleming conveys the wronged Desdemona's despair and incomprehension at Othello's accusations of infidelity with heartfelt anguish and sings sublimely in the third act. The whole production is conducted superbly by James Levene and I wholeheartedly recommend this DVD.

Puccini : Tosca [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Puccini : Tosca [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Eva Marton

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, 25 Mar. 2012
I had reservations about choosing this recording because I was not familiar with the names of the performers and knew my husband would be sceptical. I needn't have worried. It is spellbinding. The tenor's voice is gorgeous and conveys great emotional depth as does that of the soprano. The whole production is wonderfully atmospheric and utterly absorbing; we were both in tears. (Is that a recommendation?)

Spider Truces, The
Spider Truces, The
by Tom Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars touches the heartstrings, 14 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Spider Truces, The (Paperback)
I wouldn't normally have thought of reading a book about a young man's rite of passage from boyhood to manhood but this was tender and lyrical in parts and raw in its realism in others. I can't remember the last time I was reduced to tears while reading, but it happened this time. What an accomplished debut novel!