Profile for A disappointed buyer > Reviews

Content by A disappointed...

A disappointed buyer "Kevin Robertson" (Hampshire)

The GWR Exposed: Swindon in the Days of Collett and Hawksworth
The GWR Exposed: Swindon in the Days of Collett and Hawksworth
by Jeremy Clements

5.0 out of 5 stars An objective and fine read. It should be essential reading to all serious students of railway history., 23 Feb. 2015
I found this book fascinating, A whole new light on what was going on at Swindon basically from 1923 to 1950 with a few excursions beyond that are necessary to effect objective comparisons elsewhere. Yes I am a Great Western enthusiast (at the end of the day I like all railways but we are allowed a favourite, and nothing Jeremy Clements has said alters that perception. We need to look beyond the romanticism of burnished copper and brass work along with gleaming coaches to see how Swindon had stagnated and how the powers that be were disinclined to either share knowledge or embrace new ideas. I note the author acknowledges his sources and to me that helps prove the points made. If you don't like it fine, that must be your choice (having said that don't shoot the messenger), but if I could I would give it MORE than FIVE stars.

Jobsworth: Confessions of the Man from the Council
Jobsworth: Confessions of the Man from the Council
by Malcolm Philips

5.0 out of 5 stars Now the public know why we are treated the way we are...., 10 Jun. 2013
Whilst this book may have been intended to show anyone who worked in local government in the 1970s (or thereabouts) they were not alone in the way the system behaved, it also goes some way to explaining why us, the ratepayers, were treated the way we were.

Now I can understand why it took weeks for a reply to a letter. Why I must adress said letter to the man in charge even though he would probably never see it, and why those who dispensed road tax always seemed to be such a surly lot.

Add to this the general bureaucracy of the time and I just have one question to ask, "Can I have a refund on my rates?"

Well actually I have another question, please Mr Malcolm Phillips, how about some more....? (I need all the information I can to sue the b*****s.)