Profile for b > Reviews

Content by b

b

Huawei Ascend P2 Smartphone (Touchscreen, 1.5 GHz Quad core-Prozessor, 1 GB RAM, 13 Megapixel mit Full-HD HDR Movie Support, Android) - black

3.0 out of 5 stars What A Breath Of Fresh Air, 15 Sept. 2013
I've had a few smart phones in the past including a Sony, Samsung and HTC. I've got this phone on contract with Three for 24 months. I researched the phone before I decided which one to get, it was out of this phone or the Samsung S3, which was similar in spec but costed more.

I got this phone on a 24 month contract with Three, it's a great deal and as it's a 4G phone I'm going to get a free upgrade to 4G when Three start offering the service.

All I can say is WOW, I love this phone I'm so glad I chose it over the S3, I got this phone in June, so I've been using it for three months now so I've put it through it's paces. The phone admittedly over heated but only once and to be honest it was my fault because I was running so many apps at once it was a strain for the phone, but I got a warning message telling me the battery has over heated and will switch off in a couple of secs.

This phone is amazing value, I find the performance quite good, and multitasking hasn't been an issue for me. Unlike the chap who reviewed this phone before me, I never had an issue with the data connection dropping every so often, the phone seems quite stable and solid. For a 4G phone this phone is priced very well and has a cat4 4G chip which means you'll be able to reach a theoretical speed of 150Mbps, which is the fastest on the market at the moment.

Unlike A Samsung the phone battery is not removable some people may see this as a bad thing as you won't be able to swap the battery out if you need more power on the go, but the battery is good enough for me, it's a 2420 mAh battery which is quite a decent amount of power, if you do simple things like setting the brightness to automatically adjust then you can get save some power and make the battery last longer, but after a typical days works assuming your constantly connected to your 3G data you will need to charge it.

The phone only has 16GB of data, and it can't be expanded and there isn't a version with a bigger memory capacity available, but this should be alright for most people, unless you are want load your device with lots of music the memory should be more than enough. I have lots of apps on mine and lots of pictures and I still have plenty.

The phone is quite thin, and sometimes I think too thin I have a leather case on it now so this has resolved the issue, but before I had the case I was always worried the phone will slip out of my hand and the curved sides didn't help it made it easier for the phone to slip out of my hand, and I don't have small hands.

It comes with android 4.1.2 this isn't the latest version but that's not an issue for me the phone seems to be quite fluid, but the phone comes bundled with it's manufacturers software on top of the android OS which is called Emotion UI and the latest version of that is 1.5. It has changed the look and feel of the android OS the most out of any of the other manufacturer interfaces like Samsungs touchwiz and HTC's sense. Emotion UI does make it seem to lag at times like loading the camera apps only takes a few secs but it feels like it should be instant for a phone with good specs like this, it may be a little annoying but it's not a deal breaker for me.

The camera is amazing it takes crisp pictures and has lots of settings for you to play with including HDR and this phone can record in full 1080p HD with 30 fps which is what you get out of a high end phone which costs much more than this device.

The build quality feels good, it's plastic but it feels solid, when you hold it in your hand it feels good.

It has an IPS screen which is similar to the displays the iphones have. The display is 720p but it's good, I really see the difference between this screen and the amoled screen I had before, the pictures look crisp clear and fresh.

This phone supports b, g and n wireless standards but doesn't support ac which is the latest standard. But unlike a lot of other phones this supports dual band which can be a great benefit as most routers nowadays have this feature built in by default, and if you are a heavy bandwidth consumer e.g. downloading big files or streaming movies online then you will be able to connect to your WiFi network and use the net on the device without experiencing a slowdown, which is great.

If anyone would ask me if I would recommend this phone to someone I would say yes, sure it has a few issues, no phone is perfect but the issues with this phone are so small they don't really bother me and it's not a deal breaker in my opinion.

If I had to give this phone a rating out of five I would give it a solid four, amazing features and good value.

I hope this company release more phones and they become available to more people because I was impressed with this phone, I would definitely get another Huawei phone after the experience I've had with this one.

UPDATE:

My contact has finished with this phone and I need to let everyone know some issues with this phone. The phone feels alright, but cheap you can use a case if this really bothers you. Also this phone has rubbish support from Huawei, the version of android it has is the one that will remain on it, Huawei have no intention of updating it, to them it's an old legacy device now. The phone has 4G but the 4G is only compatible with EE and 3 networks. If you're on any other network then you won't have 4G access due to the bands this phone supports. Also when I first got this phone I noticed some apps I used quite frequently weren't compatible with this device, for example the Sky+ and SkyGo app weren't compatible, however sky has updated the app and they now work with this device.

I had a few issues with this device during the 2 years I had it for, firstly when I left my house and my phone was connected to my wifi the phone wouldn't automatically connect to the 3G network when I was out of range. I had to restart my device in order to use the 3G data from my network, I tried resolving this by restoring to factory setting but it didn't work I tried everything I could but nothing really helped it. It was quite strange because this issue didn't happen all the time sometimes it had no problem connecting to the 3G network when I went out of wifi range, but this was really annoying because I wouldn't get any of my emails and had to restart my phone more often then not.

I also used an app called Zedge and it always used to crash and restart, I had friends try the app on their phone and it was alright they didn't experience any of the issues I had. I also noticed the phone became really slow over time, sometimes it took a long time for my email app to load about 15-20 secs and sometimes it took the keyboard to load about the same time as the email app. The camera app took way to long to load as well, and it got to a point where I would use a friends phone if I wanted or needed to take a picture. This phone might be alright for an average person who just wants it to make calls and text people, but for people that want to do lots more I wouldn't recommend it. The phone is not bad, but it's not great either it's an average experience in my opinion and would suit someone that just wants to use the phone for the basics.

Also I had a friend that also had this on a contract with 3, he rooted his phone so he could remove some of those rubbish space wasting apps. As he and I got this phone for the 4G that 3 was going to launch in about 6-10 months of getting this contract we both thought that this phone would work out of the box with the 4G when it was released to the public for use. We were very wrong nearer the time I rang up 3 about this and they told us we would get an update for our phone so we can use their 4G network, I asked if this would be an update from them or from the phone manufacturer and they said it was from the manufacturer. Apparently according to them even though the phone had the 4G chip, it wasn't enabled and the update would enable it. About a month or 2 after we got the update and I was able to successfully update and was able to use the 4G network.

However my friend who had the rooted his phone was unable to update his phone he would always get a message that had something to do with the default internet browser, which he had removed. He tried many things and nothing work he couldn't get the phone to update, and one of the reasons he got the phone was so he could use 4G, so he decided to buy another P2 which was unlocked and not from the network to see if it would work, he couldn't claim for insurance because rooting the device was a violation of the terms and conditions. He got the phone put his sim in and he was still only getting 3G, in fact on the network locked P2 he was getting 3G and H+ and sometimes H, but on the unlocked one he only got 3G and H. He contacted the manufacturer about when the update will come to unlocked devices and the man didn't sound sure but he said in a week.

The update never came, and through my friends entire 24 month contact he was never able to use 4G on his P2. He even tried making sure he had the correct 3 network settings but nothing seemed to help him. Something funny happened though, after his contract expired and he upgraded his daughters phone was damaged and sent for repairs, and during that time she didn't have another phone and he gave the P2 for her to use while her phone was being repaired. His daughter was on EE, and when she put her sim in she immediately got a 4G connection, no update needed or nothing.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Nuketown 2025 Edition (PC DVD)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Nuketown 2025 Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by PlayAllGames

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite Buggy, Issues With Windowds 8, 9 Dec. 2012
This has loads of bugs in it even though a few patches have already been released for it. There's some compatibility issues with windows 8, it installs fine and everything but multiplayer doesn't work it takes long to load the matches and when it does finally finish loading you get disconnected with an error saying you have been disconnected. I hope Treyarch sort this out soon, it's a shame that Windows 8 users can play multiplayer, hope they release a patch soon.

Far Cry 3 - The Lost Expeditions Edition(PC DVD)
Far Cry 3 - The Lost Expeditions Edition(PC DVD)
Offered by marxwax

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Game, But Buggy, 9 Dec. 2012
Good game, unfortunately it's buggy. I have a windows 8 system and it works fine, I just experience some lag online sometimes and it's quite annoying, and it feels like the game gets quite laggy when I aim at someone people, it says it's windows 8 compatible and it us but hope the bugs get patched soon.

Trust Pulsion XL 2.0 Speaker Set for PC, Laptop - Black
Trust Pulsion XL 2.0 Speaker Set for PC, Laptop - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars These are a great buy!!!, 16 July 2012
These speakers are great, they are high quality and good value for money, I am really glad I purchased these. I have read many reviews about other speakers and many people have complained that the plugs are so big, they block the use of other plug sockets near them. The plug is smaller than a lot of other speakers, it's a medium size which is perfect in my opinion. They have great sound and base. The delivery service was great, really fast shipping. I highly recommend these speakers to anyone.