Profile for jenchris50 > Reviews

Content by jenchris50

jenchris50 (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
niceeshop(TM) Fashion Vintage Charm Rose Flowers With Leaves Alligator Clip Hair Clip-Antique Bronze&Black
Offered by niceEshop

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty though., 4 Sept. 2014
Some of the stones not very well glued so they're out of place and this is *way* too heavy for a head. Pretty though.

GIZZY® Ladies Crin Flower Fascinator on Hair Clip and Brooch Pin (Black)
GIZZY® Ladies Crin Flower Fascinator on Hair Clip and Brooch Pin (Black)
Offered by Top Brand Cosmetics UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars It was perfect, not too big, 4 Sept. 2014
Bought this for a funeral. It was perfect, not too big, and sat beautifully on short hair. It also worked as a brooch for the dress at the wake. Excellent.

Plus Size Womens Bow Ruched Sleeveless Ladies Shift Bodycon Mini Dress - Black - 20-22

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it but, 4 Sept. 2014
it was too small. Nice heavy fabric, bow was a bit... strange, but nevertheless it felt nice. Biggest problem was that it was *way* shorter than described. I'm a chubby 5"2 and this was halfway up my thighs. Not pleasant and scary to small children. Shame. I gave it to my luscious niece.

Power-TEC 92329 Magnetic Ruler 605mm
Power-TEC 92329 Magnetic Ruler 605mm
Offered by Direct hardware

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. A bit long for my needs but easy ..., 4 Sept. 2014
Great. A bit long for my needs but easy to cut in half.

Cambridge Sciences StarPAD 6, 4G Tablet PC Quad Core CPU, 1GB RAM, 16GB Memory, Android 5 (4G)

3.0 out of 5 stars So I'm disappointed more than happy, 4 Sept. 2014
I thought I'd already started a review, but apparently not! Well anyway...

I suspect that there is a hierarchy of StarPAD 10s, even though they are all described as 10 SE. And I appear to have bought the bottom tier. Which is disappointing and a bit confusing. Normally there is some indication in the model no of the spec inside the box.

So I'm disappointed more than happy, and here's why.

Contrary to some of the answers given, on opening the box it was clear there is NO keyboard cover included. The contents list shows there isn't one so I couldn't claim to be too disappointed. I checked Cambridge Sciences website, and this seems to be standard.

However what is *not* standard is that there is supposed to be an HDMI port on the machine - and there isn't. Again this is shown on the spec list, and on the manufacturer's website, but there just isn't. Only a micro-USB port and an earphone whatsit.

And all this is made extremely confusing by the generic "one-size-fits-all" operation manual, which covers everything from StarPAD 7s up. So there's no indication in the book of the fittings to expect on the model you receive.

The very first thing I had to do when I took it out the box was clip the back on. No, not the bit where the SIM and SD cards go - the actual back. The top half was hanging off. Not at all what I was expecting.

I should probably have sent it back at that point, but it does have some redeeming features. Whether these will be enough to make me edit to give more stars in coming months, we will see.

One last con - the volume is just plain weird. It has to be right at the top end to hear anything at all. 3 clicks down from the very top and you can't hear a thing.

Now those pros.

Firstly, the screen is huge. Looking at some of the screen protectors out there, it seems clear that there are differing sizes of 10.1" screens - this is one of the larger ones. So there screen frame is only about 1cm deep the whole way around. This is wonderful.

Definition - pictures are crystal clear, as far as my aging eyeballs can determine.

Sound - I've already covered volume; the sound is a bit tinny but clear. I'd recommend using headphones - they really make the sound come to life.

Screen - well wow. This is a massive redeeming feature and deserves a second visit. It's *extremely* sensitive. I don't know if it was the quality of screensaver I used to have on the Playbook, but sometimes my fingers would end up sore. Sometimes I swear I only have to hover over a button for it to be pressed. It's true this makes using the keyboard a tad interesting, but I'll get used to it (and I expect when the screensaver arrives, that'll make a difference).

Finally the quality. The satiny metallic bit on the back will need hiding, even after only 3 days. It's going to be horrible to keep clean, even in a bedroom with no food and clean hands. Not impressed by the back hanging off by arrival; but I can be forgiving. To hold it, it seems light although a bit slippery. Compared to the Playbook it's a bit plasticky.

Now for the stuff you need to make your own minds up about. For years I've had to deal with "can't do this, can't do that" on the Blackberry Playbook, and I fully expected that Android would enable me to do everything I ever wanted ever. Of course it doesn't. For one, despite being Audible compatible, it won't play Amazon Prime streamed films and tv - and this is very disappointing. I'll have to pay for Netflix I expect. I should have done my homework here. Having said that, if I'd known, would I have paid more for an iPad or Galaxy whatever? Not On Your Life. I just don't have that kind of money.

So in short - it is what it is. It is within my means, and offers a galaxy of stuff Blackberry didn't support on the playbook. I'm actually undecided about whether this is a 2-star or 3-star - I don't dislike it enough to send it back, it could just take a bit of getting used to... meh I'll give it 3 for now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2014 8:31 PM GMT

Cambridge Sciences StarPAD 3, 10.1-inch Tablet PC Quad Core CPU, 1GB RAM, 16GB Memory, Android 4.2 (3G)

3.0 out of 5 stars Step by step...., 1 Sept. 2014
I've just taken the tablet out of the box for the first time. I'm a bit bemused as I expected this to come with the clip-on bluetooth keyboard, but it hasn't. So far the first thing I've had to do is clip the plastic frame back on to the device - hope this is not a sign of things to come.

I've removed the edge carefully to install an SD card and Sim card. There are no instructions for doing this, but it just needs prising off carefully - I do hate this kind of clip-on stuff, it's so easy to break the connectors. I'll report more in a minute - it's dinner time!

Puzzle Mates Portapuzzle Pro Jigsaw Puzzle Accessory (Up to 1000 Pieces)
Puzzle Mates Portapuzzle Pro Jigsaw Puzzle Accessory (Up to 1000 Pieces)

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed :-(, 5 Jun. 2014
This product promises big, but just doesn't deliver.

It feels extremely churlish to write this review, as it was bought for me as a 50th birthday present, but the truth is, it's incredibly disappointing.
My birthday was in December; I hadn't had it 5 months before it started falling to pieces. So far the plastic edging has cracked where it was carried horizontally from one table to another; and 2 of the 4 velcro strips that keep the lid shut tight have come away from the little glue strips used to affix them. Result is that I've found pieces of puzzle on the floor, very luckily I haven't lost any.

What the other critics say is true. It's flimsy, poorly executed, and the slots into which the lid folds to become a stand are too shallow to do the job securely.

I've given 2 stars only because I like being 50 and the basic felt puzzle board is ok if you have a good table to support it (in which case you probably don't need the thing in the first place. So 2 stars is probably me being overly generous.

I'm sorry, Puzzle Mates. Build better, charge more, and puzzlers will be much happier.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy, 6 May 2014
The hinge was already broken when I took it out of its wrapping. Plastic boxes should be able to withstand being opened and closed a few hundred times, but sadly this one isn't. You also have to be careful about the size of cardboard bobbins you buy, as sizewise it's *just* deep enough. Won't be buying another.

KnitPro 20 cm Nova Cubics Double Pointed Needle Sock Kit, Shiny Brass
KnitPro 20 cm Nova Cubics Double Pointed Needle Sock Kit, Shiny Brass

5.0 out of 5 stars Knittastic, 6 May 2014
I started using Cubics by accident (long story, I'll tell you one day). Anyway, these are lovely. They grip better than round needles to the point that at long last I can cast on without worrying about twisting my stitches. They're an investment and I love using them.

High Grade Wham Purple Square Washing Up Bowl Kitchen
High Grade Wham Purple Square Washing Up Bowl Kitchen
Offered by Mixles

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 6 May 2014
It's purple. It holds water. It's got decent carry handles. It's square. What's not to love? And it's purpley purple purple.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16