Profile for quillerpen > Reviews

Content by quillerpen

quillerpen (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
White Storm: Book 3 (Gemini Force I)
White Storm: Book 3 (Gemini Force I)
by M. G. Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet!, 20 July 2016
The third of the Gemini Force books and, in my opinion, the best.
Ben Carrington is now an active member of the Force and the situations he finds himself in are more believable. The author also deals with the question of operating a secret rescue service in an age of the internet and videophones. The book sets a cracking pace that should keep teenage readers hooked, incorporating characters and incidents from the previous two books. The climax is exciting and satisfying but at the same time leaves the possibility of further Gemini Force adventures.

Peshwari Nans: Beyond the bucket list
Peshwari Nans: Beyond the bucket list

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson for us all!, 9 July 2016
The heart-warming and hilarious story of two indomitable sisters, Esther and Minnie, who set off to travel by road from the East End of London to Raipur in India in 'Vivien', their classic Morris Minor Traveller.
I was lucky to meet author Stephen Haughan at a recent Morris minor rally and he told me that someday he wants to to the same trip himself. I wish him well but hopes his trip does not have quite as many 'hiccups' as that of Esther and Minnie.
PS My favourite lines from the book:-
Esther: What's got into you?
Minnie: Life!

Two in the Bush
Two in the Bush

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing animals to life, 7 July 2016
This review is from: Two in the Bush (Kindle Edition)
I must have first read this back in my teens but re-read it more recently when I was planning my own trip to New Zealand.This book furnished me with a 'must-see' list of exotic sounding creatures - Takehe, Kea and Tuatara. Durrell's writing brings the animals to life and his descriptions (especially when someone's sock fell in the soup) have me laughing out loud.

Down Under: Travels in a Sunburned Country (Bryson)
Down Under: Travels in a Sunburned Country (Bryson)
by Bill Bryson

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely chatty style, 7 July 2016
I've read several of Bill Bryson's books and enjoy his chatty style. It always comes across as if you've met him in the pub and he's telling you about his recent holiday over a pint. I loved his take on Australia, and when I got to the part where he encountered cricket on the radio, I had to phone my father (an avid cricket fan) and read it to him!

DBPOWER Full Color HD/LED Ready Projector Maximum 30000 Hours 2000 Lumens Support 1080P 720P, Native Resolution 854 and 540, Contrast 800:1, Home Theater with USB, HDMI, AV, VGA Input for PS3, XBOX360, Bluray DVD Player, Wii, PC/Laptop, TV

4.0 out of 5 stars Good machine, terrible instructions!, 15 April 2016
I ordered this machine last week and it arrived promptly - 2 days ahead of the expected delivery date. I used it last night to give a talk and it works well. The only thing that lets it down is the atrocious instruction book which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, badly translated (I'd guess from Chinese) and full of typos. E.g.< AFTER INTER INTO STAY SITUATION, THE PROJECTOR UNDER AUTO PROTECT, AUTO RELASE HOT, THE INDICATOR LIGHT IS FLASE SITUATION, BUT HERE, THE PROJECTOR IS UNDER AUTO PROTECT SITUATION, NOT ACCEPT ANY ORDER, IF NEED TO START UP AGAIN, MUST WAIT FOR FINISHED THE RELEASE HOT.> Huh???
To save anyone else the hour I spent pulling my hair out, here are a coup[le of things the book does not tell you 1) you need to plug-in/connect up whatever source (USB'HDMI lead/whatever) before you switch the projector on, then 2) press the 'source' button on the top of the machine and use the remote to switch to the one you want to use. After that it will work quite happily the next time you turn it on.

Thunderbirds Thermal Flask
Thunderbirds Thermal Flask
Offered by scificollectorshop

1.0 out of 5 stars And in particular I would not recommend buying from Buy-For-Less-Online, 1 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Thunderbirds Thermal Flask (Toy)
Buy this if you just want it as a piece of memorabilia, but not if you actually want a usable flask. I am saying this because after less than 6 months of using this item, the seal tore around the cap, making it leak unless it is standing upright - not ideal for a flask of hot liquid you want to carry around in a bag! And in particular I would not recommend buying from Buy-For-Less-Online, who trade from the Frankley industrial Estate, Birmingham as their attitude to customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Black Horizon: Book 1 (Gemini Force I)
Black Horizon: Book 1 (Gemini Force I)
by M. G. Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Action all the way!, 16 April 2015
A clandestine rescue organisation operating from a secret base, funded by a billionaire and using state-of-the-art craft and equipment. Sound familiar? That is hardly surprising as the original concept was by Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson, a man who had more experience than most people in knowing what made an exciting story. Gerry's final illness meant he was never able to finish the novel he had been working on, but children's author MG Harris has taken his notes and produced an action-packed adventure.
The story centres around 16-year-old Ben and we are thrown in the deep end in the opening chapters with a dramatic skyscraper rescue that will have you on the edge of your seat. The adventure continues as Ben and the readers are introduced to the Gemini Force base, rescue craft and personnel. This is a self-contained story but also has some plot elements that will no doubt be carried over the the later books in the series.
The book has little nods that will amuse Ander-fans (my favourite was the pop group 'Rock Snakes from Mars) but will also appeal to young readers who like stories with plenty of action.

Alone: The Triumph and Tragedy of John Curry
Alone: The Triumph and Tragedy of John Curry
by Bill Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars well researched - but where are the happy times?, 15 Sept. 2014
As a fan of John curry's from the early 1970s, I read Bill Jones book with interest as I had my own memories of many of the events that it covered.
I give the author top marks for doing his research - getting hold of John's letters and contacting many of the people who were involved in his life. However, I came away feeling that he was so determined to show John as a bleak, lonely and isolated figure that the picture he paints is a distorted one. No-one can spend all of their life feeling miserable, but Jones seems to gloss over the few references to when John was happy in order to concentrate on the darker aspects of his life. This view shows little of the kind, courteous and gentle man we used to see after his shows - the man who gave an old lady a free pass to the theatre for his Palladium show; the man who arranged for a friend and I to have returns for a gala he was in when he found we hadn't been able to get tickets.
I would have liked more about the artistic side of John's work and wish the author had talked more to the choreographers who had worked with John about how they found choreographing for skaters and whether they had gained anything from the exchange.
So, in terms that John would understand, I give the book a 5.2 for Technical Merit, but only 4.8 for Artistic Interpretation

Takers: A Different Kind of Urban Vampire
Takers: A Different Kind of Urban Vampire

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh blood, 28 Sept. 2012
A refreshing new take on a genre which has become a bit hackneyed of late. Right from the start, the reader is drawn into Kel's dark and frightening world, and the writer uses her skills to make you see, feel and smell his surroundings with gritty realism.

The Fountains Of Paradise (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
The Fountains Of Paradise (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Arthur C. Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant visions, grounded in science and history, 25 Mar. 2012
I read this book when it first appeared, many years back, and it inspired me with a desire to visit Sri Lanka one day, to see the places mentioned in the book.
In this novel, Clarke combined his love of science with the love of the country he had come to call home. The idea of the space elevator is firmly based on hard physics (no transporter beams or other flights of fancy!).
I love the way that Clarke has interweaved the modern with the past. In the opening chapter, with the king in his palace and the monks on their mountain he conveys the timelessness and depth of history that Sri Lanka (thinly disguised as Taprobane for the novel) has to offer.
Even after many readings I can never read the passage where Morgan encounters the butterflies on the mountain without getting a shiver up my spine.
And last year I achieved my ambition to visit Sigiriya (the real-life Yakkagala) and see the places mentioned in the story for myself. Like the novel, they did not disappoint.

Page: 1 | 2