Profile for C. A. Kilgour > Reviews

Content by C. A. Kilgour

C. A. Kilgour "McCulloch" (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Doctor Who - The Trial Of A Time Lord [1986] [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Trial Of A Time Lord [1986] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Well I'm Buying It, 26 Jun. 2008
I bought this on VHS,in the days when I bought everything, so have seen it a few times. Nowadays I'm restricting my purchases of the improved DVD versions to the ones which made an impact, as many stories including most Tom Baker's and nearly all the Peter Davison's would make me want to take up knitting, just to sit in front of the TV, or maybe I could peel potatoes or something. Yawn.
I might also hope that no-one else is around. Imagine someone walking into the room when the man is clutching at the green bubblepack on his "infected" arm, in The Ark in Space, or the voice of the Dalek coming out of the water, end ep1 Dalek Invasion of Earth, or the car driving past the maggots in The Green Death. Cringe.
Mindwarp in this set contains, in Peri's final scene, one of the best and most scary scenes in the entire original series, and I'm probably buying the set for this story, although the Trial itself is entertaining, and the first story quite good with Joan Sims as the warrior queen.
It's going to be expensive and I really prefer to watch the first 2 doctors, a different era of TV, so it's not at the top of my list. But I don't think overall the stories and presentation are any worse than anything else and I quite like the Colin Baker doctor.

Elegy
Elegy
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Playing this Today, 11 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Elegy (Audio CD)
I bought this album when I was 14 or 15, to cheer me up on the way to the dentist. I think it was the cover that appealed to me, I hadn't heard the album, but I remember it being among the first few I bought. This placed me firmly in the "weirdo section" at school, when everyone carried their favourite albums in plastic sleeves to broadcast tastes and attract exchanges. It also established a lifelong preference for bands with keyboards, and I soon bought the other 4 albums.
My own favourite track is My Back Pages. I love the way it goes from a piano intro to heavier when the organ kicks in. Hang onto a Dream features some really nice piano playing. America live has` Keith Emerson "playing" the strings of the piano and later on the track sounds like a train going slowly over points. Not so impressed with these bits nowadays.
Overall this is probably the best place to start listening to The Nice. The original 4 tracks are all outstanding. This was the last album they released.
(Great pity as they were due to bring out another, featuring their version of Lt Kije. Its release was announced in the music press, but due to difficulties with the publisher it was shelved. Not sure, but this is probably the "new" content on The Immediate Anthology).
And I am still playing this CD today, long after I wore out the album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2010 8:55 AM GMT

Justice League: New Frontier [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Justice League: New Frontier [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

4.0 out of 5 stars Origin Revisited, 1 Mar. 2008
Bit of a shock this one after just watching Justice League Unlimited. At the start I thought I was watching Samurai Jack. The animation takes a little getting used to, but as a comics fan I soon realised I had a gold nugget here.
The series is set in the mid Fifties at the start of the so-called Silver Age of comics where many of the characters of the Justice League began their careers, and was quite faithful to the comics of the era, with the origins of Green Lantern and J'onn J'onzz being well depicted. It also featured most other characters of that period, most notably for me Ace, from the yet to be formed Challengers of the Unknown, and scientist Ray Palmer as the future Atom.
I also liked the political background in which the story was set, and although not too impressed with the threat itself,there was enough going on and plenty of action for the film to be a satisfying experience.
I would recommend this to any fan of sixties comics. I can see no continuity with the newer series however.

Extraction
Extraction

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Everything You've Ever Heard, 9 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Extraction (Audio CD)
Sit Up and Pay Attention, from the first few moments, when the whirlwind which is Dennis Chambers plays solo drums. Wow. All through the album these guys show their virtuosity, playing jazz music which reminds you at times of everyone you've ever heard. At times I thought I was listening to Stanley Clarke on bass, Keith Emerson on piano, Weather Report, UK, Asia, the list goes on.
I haven't bought a CD for many years, but had to buy this one after hearing it. This is not easy listening, but worth the effort.

Sgt. Bilko: The Phil Silvers Show, 50th Anniversary Edition [DVD]
Sgt. Bilko: The Phil Silvers Show, 50th Anniversary Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Phil Silvers
Offered by Gleam Retail

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy, 8 Sept. 2007
I agree with all the other reviewers about the quality in all respects of these episodes. I think the only thing which hasn't been mentioned is a list of which episodes are on the DVD. So here we go. Episodes are in transmission order as presented on the DVD, not numerical order.
DISK ONE : 1. New Recruits (3501) 2.The WAC (3510) 3.The Horse (3503)4.The Eating contest (3504)5.Bivouac (3514)
DISK TWO : 1. The Twitch (3512) 2. The Investigation (3516) 3. The Revolutionary War (3519) 4. The Court Martial (3528) 5. The Con Men (3530) 6. A Mess Sergeant Can't Win (3543) 7. Doberman's Sister (3544)
DISK THREE : 1. Bilko's Tax Trouble (3546) 2. The Big Scandal (3565) 3. Hillbilly Whiz (3579) 4. Bilko The Art Lover (3594) 5. Bilko Joins The Navy (35115) 6. Weekend Colonel (35142)

Unfortunately my favourite episode Furlough In New York is not there, but despite that I was buying this anyway, and living in hope.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3