Profile for Amazon thy name is credit card debt > Reviews

Content by Amazon thy nam...

Amazon thy name is credit card debt (Texas)

Page: 1 | 2
Innocent In Death: 24
Innocent In Death: 24
by J.D. Robb

5.0 out of 5 stars Ha, Ha, Not So Innocent, After All, 9 May 2008
This review is from: Innocent In Death: 24 (Paperback)
Sometimes I find that I may not fully appreciate a book just because I had something else on my mind. When I go back and re-read the story I often upgrade my original estimation of it. All of the "In Death" books are worth re-reading repeatedly. For those who didn't appreciate this edition's marital strife between Eve and Roarke, just know that the next book won't include that. Remember the tension between Eve and Roarke in "Divided in Death"? That helped define and strengthen this couple and so will their challenges in "Innocent in Death."
Sommerset and Eve's relationship continues to evolve. They get in a verbal slap or two, but he really puts Roarke on the spot as only he can.
When we consider all the story arcs for this series it's a mind-boggling thing to say the least. Roarke's family in Ireland, Eve's continuing struggle with nightmares over her lousy childhood, Eve's expanding circle of friends and her bewilderment at all that these relationships entail. And somehow Nora keeps this married couple's chemistry and conversations dynamic.
I had hoped the Commander's jackass behavior insinuating Roarke might use insider information revealed as he helped Eve in the investigation in the previous installment, "Born in Death," might be built upon in the next installment. It wasn't in this story, but there were so many other things going on that is quite understandable.
Nadine Furst had been getting left behind a bit. Her bugging Eve for exclusive interviews and the press conferences were at one time one of the great opportunities afforded for Dallas to slap down the nosy press. I'm a newspaper editor and I quite enjoy those parts.
Nadine's show "Now" premiers with Eve as her first guest. This had a nice moment for the Lt. and Roarke. As an aside, I'd like to see Nadine and Eve's co-worker Detective Baxter start dating.
Because Eve was rattled by her insecurity over her husband's former flame flitting back into his life, there weren't as many kick-ass moments with Eve interviewing/outwitting suspects or reporting to her Commander. Roarke's old flame has popped back into his life to try to tempt him away from wedded bliss.
I have to agree with a reviewer on Amazon.com (U.S.A. version :) who said she didn't think Roarke "suffered enough" for his part in hurting Eve's feelings and throwing her off balance in both their relationship and her job. Yes, he's allowed to be oblivious now and again, Roarke IS after all a man. But I didn't think his few hours of waiting at home for Eve to show up, wondering if she'd left him, were sufficient penance for the days on end that she worried about her marriage and nights she didn't sleep.
Magdalena the praying mantis didn't vow to love, honor and cherish the Lt., but our wild Irishman did. So I was quite delighted with how our long, tall detective took care of this situation. Be sure you're not drinking when you get to this or you might shoot coffee or tea out your nose as you burst out laughing.
As I finished "Innocent in Death" I thought that this series is like life: sometimes it has a lot of laughs, sometimes a few tears, scary moments, circumstances that make you angry, and other times you just hold on because you're not sure where exactly you're going. But you know with Eve and Roarke that's it's gonna be a satisfying ride.

Close to You (Berkley Sensation)
Close to You (Berkley Sensation)
by Kathryn Shay

3.0 out of 5 stars "Close to" Being Really Good, 9 May 2008
This book had a great premise, but it felt as if it was about 50 or 75 pages too long; too much waffling between the Secret Service Agent Cat and Second Lady's brother Aidan.
Yes, it's tough to love someone in such a dangerous profession, but if you let them go then you worry and have no relationship with them at all. AND you have to imagine them with someone else, having kids with that person and so on. Ms. Shay is such an excellent writer and no one can create families with sibling relationships so true-to-life: funny, sweet, petty spats, taking criticism from them that you wouldn't take from anyone else. Like Aidan's brothers, I got impatient with his hesitance and moping around about Cat.
As his brother Liam said, "My wife DIED. If I could get back even one hour with Kitty I would" or words to that effect. Life is short, so get with it already, Aidan! I liked the Second Lady and Vice President so much I plan to go back and read that book.
I look forward to books about Aidan and Bailey's siblings as well as Cat's sisters. I particularly appreciated the Polish endearments Cat used with her family, especially her brother Luke, who cast a long shadow as an Agent before he retired for his wife's peace of mind.
This language and family unity reminded me of Nora Roberts Stanislaski books. Those were Silhouette Intimate Moments books, Luring a Lady, Convincing Alex, and so on, in case anyone's interested. The sexual tension between Cat and Aidan is well done, but I just didn't enjoy this book as much as previous Shay stories.
Because Cat is worried about her reputation and keeping her emotional distance, there aren't as many love scenes as Shay usually includes. Understandable, but just a warning to those who long for that connection between their protagonists. Her fire fighter books, excuse the pun, are HOT! I'll trade in "Close To You" for Bailey and Clay's story or that of Cat's brother Luke.

Twelve Quickies of Christmas Vol. 2
Twelve Quickies of Christmas Vol. 2
by Lacey Alexander

3.0 out of 5 stars Ms. Rice's story is a 4 or more, 9 May 2008
WHO is Lisa Marie Rice?
WHAT can we do to assist her in writing as many books as quickly as possible?
WHEN will her next book come out?
WHERE did Ellora's Cave find this awesome author?
WHY would anyone believe 26 pages is a sufficient length to describe a fully fleshed out romantic couple?
HOW did Ms. Rice author such a beautiful romance that can take you from the depths of despair Nicole feels at the loss of her lover to a sad smile as she relives their love affair? All in 26 pages! I don't know of anyone else who's ever created so much on such a small canvas.
"Christmas Angel" the last story in the "12 Quickies of Christmas," will not leave the reader with a bitter aftertaste as so many anthologies do. The dreaded question "Was that it?" hangs on the tip of my tongue all too often after I finish one, but not here.
Yes, yes, there are 5 other stories in this book and I'm sure those authors gave it their best shot. But let's not kid ourselves here: "Christmas Angel" is the only real reason to buy this book.
"Hot for Santa" by Lacey Alexander has some cute, sexy scenes. "A Christmas Phantasie" by Kit Tunstall is by turns weird, frightening and unrealistic (yep, put me right in the holiday spirit! :) "Passion and a Pear Tree" by Tawny Taylor might cause that previously-mentioned bitter aftertaste.
Lisa Marie Rice has been compared to Linda Howard, Shannon McKenna and Suzanne Brockmann. Buy this book and if you haven't already experienced Ms. Rice's other books, try: "Midnight Man," "Midnight Run," "Midnight Angel," "Woman on the Run," and "Port of Paradise." You'll be hooked, just like the rest of us.

Midnight Run
Midnight Run
by Lisa Marie Rice

4.0 out of 5 stars This Bud's for You, 9 May 2008
This review is from: Midnight Run (Paperback)
This was a book I stumbled upon while looking around the reviews on Amazon. What a great discovery!
I've already ordered Lisa Marie Rice's "Midnight Man," which was the first in this trilogy; and "Midnight Angel," the third.
Midnight Run is a well-developed story with a macho cop and a woman who's battled life-threatening illness and is just now in her mid-20s healthy enough to spread her wings and live a little. They fall for each other immediately, but it's conceivable and the love scenes (okay SEX scenes :) are sizzling.
At first, Bud doesn't realize she's so fragile so he treats her as a normal grown-up sex object. And she loves that, having been coddled and smothered by the well-meaning attentions of her loved ones.
When things change and her beloved cop becomes a control freak, she has to take a stand. Won't ruin the story by letting any cats out of the bag.
Only, meow! I have to say this: if Bud's poetry recitation as he makes love to Claire doesn't make you smile or laugh, I don't know what will. Who would have thought an author could make iambic pentameter HOT?!! Probably better I didn't read these types of books in high school or I'd have made worse grades and gotten into far too much trouble :)
I believe one of these reviewers must have earned way too many traffic tickets since she has little to no appreciation or respect for cops. Whatever...We all have our own viewpoints but I hate that this reviewer also tells the identity of a victim in this story without even using a SPOILER alert to let those who MIGHT want to read this book know to skip the review.
Bud seems elemental, not as deep as Douglas, the "ugly" man (who is a friend of John, the hero in the first book of this trilogy, Midnight Man). Douglas gets his story and his woman in the third book, Midnight Angel, and it's my favorite. But I re-read all of these books and they are keepers.
But back to Bud: since Claire was coddled as a sickly child and is just now spreading her, uh, wings :) she is just the type of woman to appeal to a protective guy like him. She just has to show him not to go overboard. Even if you prefer one of the other stories in this three-parter, you should read all three to get the entire picture.
AND I highly recommend these other two Lisa Marie Rice books: Port of Paradise & Woman on the Run. Read the trilogy and if you like, order the other two. Ms. Rice is now on a "Dangerous" book title kick for another book publisher, so you might want to check those out as well. I also reviewed "Midnight Angel" in case I've whet your appetite for Douglas.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2011 5:51 PM BST

Midnight - Midnight Angel (Ellora's Cave Presents)
Midnight - Midnight Angel (Ellora's Cave Presents)
by Lisa Marie Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars I Dig Douglas, 9 May 2008
Lord have mercy! This so-called "ugly" man has a beautiful soul, a body like a Greek god, and is an Alpha male to boot. Douglas is a former Navy man and friend of John (the hero in Midnight Man), and immediately falls for Allegra, a harpist who sings like an angelic being.
John, who is cajoled into attending a charity bash by his lovely wife Suzanne, enlists the moral support of Douglas. Just so happens the characters from Midnight Run are friends of John and Suzanne. And wouldn't ya know it? The ladies' friend Allegra is single and so is Douglas and she is the entertainment for this charity bash.
He has a bass voice that sends chills, the good kind, :) down the spine of Allegra, who was blinded when she was attacked by her former music manager. Now, you're probably thinking "Hmmm, great idea to hook the ugly guy up with a blind woman," but Lisa Marie Rice goes so much farther than that. She made me fall for this guy, who might not win any beauty contests but appreciates the finer things in life.
He is star-struck by Allegra's music and is enslaved by her, shielding her with his own body. I dare anyone NOT to wish for the happy ending for this couple. With the beautiful, plastic, cutout characters populating so many romance novels these days, it is refreshing to meet these flesh and blood people who are not perfect yet they find one another and enrich one another's lives.
When bad guys crash the charity event and this sweet harpist unknowingly continues playing on the platform, where she could be killed in the crossfire, Douglas leaps to her defense. Their scene below this platform might melt your nail polish, so you've been warned.
One of the reviewers of either Midnight Man or Midnight Run complimented Lisa Marie Rice for devising a plot. She's so right: some books seem to just go through the motions and couldn't touch the reader's soul since the characters and their lives are so shallow. Not so with Ms. Rice's characters.
Anyone who likes Linda Howard's better romances or those of Fiona Brand or Suzanne Brockman should "buy with one click" anything by Lisa Marie Rice...OR you might visit the site for Ellora's Cave since folks are trying to sell this particular book for so much.

Sex, Straight Up (Harlequin Blaze)
Sex, Straight Up (Harlequin Blaze)
by Kathleen O'Reilly

4.0 out of 5 stars Very stirring romance, 18 April 2008
This author is fairly new to me. I read her story in a Harlequin Blaze Christmas 2007 release. I bought it for the other two authors and was pleasantly surprised when Ms. O'Reilly's romance was by the far the best.
So I visited a bookstore and bought the first two of the O'Sulllivan brothers' books. The first one I didn't like all that much but it gives a good overview of these three brothers, the bar they own and background. That's important to Daniel's story, the second one of the trilogy. I LOVED how he and Catherine met and that she's quiet, a thinker and not that confident.
Daniel could give Heathcliff a run for his money. The way O'Reilly describes his physical appearance as Catherine spies him near her vacation house is romanticized to the max. Who can't identify with the way she builds this fantasy around him and wants to know his story? I thought it was particularly ingenious to have Catherine working for her family's art/antiquities auction house but give her the hobby of sketching nudes.
Daniel's wife died on Sept. 11 and even though this is fiction it really personalizes this tragedy our nation endured. I loved this guy and could understand how Catherine could be so giving to him, even though she didn't believe he'd come to care for her. That's brave, brave, brave. We tend to put physical bravery upon a pedestal and I appreciated that this woman's emotional courage was highlighted. I DARE YOU NOT TO LOVE THIS BOOK.
Can't wait to see what Ms. O'Reilly does with the third brother, Sean, who's a horndog and seems such a jerk that I'd quite enjoy seeing him get his come-uppance.

The Lipstick Chronicles: Book One (Berkley Sensation)
The Lipstick Chronicles: Book One (Berkley Sensation)
by Kathryn Shay

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe trying to be "Sex & the City"?, 31 Mar. 2008
If I read ONE MORE romance where the author "name drops" about the women's footwear! Do other women really WANT to read about that? If so, sorry; I'm not one of 'em. Do more character development.
Anyway...I do enjoy the interaction between these friends and co-workers.
AllHeart.com is an internet greeting card company and even though it seems as though the characters' relationships are "sewn up" in the second one of these books, I hope for more on these characters, especially on Elyssa, Carole and Dana.
Elyssa is the owner of AllHeart and a real mover and shaker in the business world. She meets Joe, a venture capitalist, when she decides she wants to go to the next level by growing her business. They have great chemistry but are wary of one another. Kathryn Shay is the author of this story and the reason I bought this book. She can do no wrong, as far as I'm concerned. I recommend those unfamiliar with her work to try out her firefighter books in addition to anything else she's written.
Alix was the graphic artist for AllHeart and I didn't care too much for her character or Marc, her love interest. He seemed like a player and she let him off too easily. Alix is cautious about getting involved with Marc because she has just broken up with her live-in lover and best friend who goes through an identity crisis, to say the least. But I won't give it away.
Besides Elyssa, Carole is my very favorite character in this book. She, too, has trust issues. The main one she distrusts is herself and her own instincts, after she hangs on way too long with her marriage to a guy who's a member of a rock band and a general ne'er do well. Carole is the ad sales rep for AllHeart and could sell ice to Eskimos, as the saying goes :) She meets Mitch on an airplane on one of her business trips and they are immediately attracted.
She tries to brush him off with the following, "Only two things could happen: a one night stand which would make me uncomfortable; or one of us will break the other's heart." She has such a smart-alec sense of humor and I loved that since Mitch works for a Senator. I forgot to mention that AllHeart.com is based in Washington, D.C. Anyhow, Mitch is a dreamboat and Carole finally realizes what a great guy he is.
Robyn is the youngest of the AllHeart staff and Elyssa's secretary. She's the sunny, all for love, look on the bright side type. I haven't read her story yet so I can't comment on this.
Even though I only gave this book 3 stars, try it and you might like it. The second installment of "Lipstick" is better than the first, maybe because I already knew the characters and was invested in their stories.
So it's well worth reading this one in order to be up to speed when you read book 2, which I highly recommend.

Strangers In Death: 26
Strangers In Death: 26
by J.D. Robb

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Go Wrong with Eve and Roarke, 26 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Strangers In Death: 26 (Paperback)
This mystery wasn't that mysterious for me, but possibly I'm just sharper than most knives in the drawer: NOT! I did, though, figure out who da killer was early on but that in no way lessened my enjoyment of the book.
With Eve and Roarke, it's not the destination but the absorbing scenery along the way that makes each journey worthwhile.
Great chemistry between this "old married couple" and I turned an internet friend on to this series a few years ago by comparing the on-going love story to "Hart to Hart," a 1980s American TV series starring Robert Wagner and Steffani Powers. Eve and Roarke are, of course, better but Nora Roberts didn't write for TV so it's no shame for ABC.
Feeney, Peabody, McNab, Sommerset and the rest are back. Roarke is as hot as ever and he and Eve have some wonderful scenes together. I was glad she didn't have as many bad moments, nightmares and such featuring her sicko Dad, may he rot in Hell.
It was good to see Charles and Dr. Lou featured more prominently in this story and I was a bit nervous of what fate awaited them. Whew! Scared me there for a minute.
Still want to lobby Nora to hook up Nadine Furst, the nose for news anchor who restores Eve's faith in the journalism profession. Baxter, the hound dog detective who's showing Officer Trueheart the ropes, would be good. Heck, I'd even consider Trueheart for Nadine but I believe Baxter would be more of a challenge as well as a better match for our girl.
Speaking of glamorous gals, what a nice touch for the Chief's wife, an ex-model, to be introduced in this episode. Nora's worked so hard over the years to painstakingly build layer upon layer to make this detective series work. The afore mentioned characters are but a part of the reason why the "In Death" books are such a treat to buy and devour as soon as they are released.

To Die For: Number 1 in series (Blair Mallory)
To Die For: Number 1 in series (Blair Mallory)
by Linda Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Blair is NO dumb blonde, 26 Feb. 2008
Blair and Wyatt are a match made in heaven. I, too, am no fan of first person books but just really liked these books. So if you're reading these reviews and wondering if you want to take the chance of buying the book and not liking it, it's not a gamble. You'll be drawn into the story and shaking your head and laughing out loud at Blair's thoughts and remarks.
Really, Blair's stream of consciousness type of thoughts just had to be written in first person, so we can give Linda Howard and her editors congratulations on making both of these books work.
And I am waiting, somewhat IMPATIENTLY, for Blair's sister Siana's story. It doesn't have to be first person; in fact, I'd discourage that since Siana, as an attorney, needs to be a good talker and less "fluffy" than her cheerleader sister. Siana DOES deserve her own book. She's a lawyer with dimples and a killer instinct. Now that's what I call a dangerous combination :)
Just imagine a courtroom novel and Blair popping over to the courthouse to watch her sister chew up and spit out some poor witness. I'd make Siana's love interest a judge. That way, we'd have conflict from the get-go since he could have been tough on her, infuriating her even as he inspired lust in her heart. Sounds a lot like Wyatt and Blair, huh?
I hereby forfeit any claim to this story, so Ms. Howard if you or any of your staff are reading this, go for it. I want Siana's story. I urge other readers and/or reviewers of the Blair Mallory books to petition the publisher for them. Wouldn't you just LOVE to read Tina Mallory's courtship with her hubby, Blair's Dad, Mr. Unflappable? That, too, would be great. I'm almost seeing a type of family dynasty as Nora Roberts developed with the MacGregors.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2011 1:06 AM GMT

Drop Dead Gorgeous: Number 2 in series (Blair Mallory)
Drop Dead Gorgeous: Number 2 in series (Blair Mallory)
by Linda Howard