Profile for sparky115 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Girl With No Name
The Girl With No Name

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too emotionless, 25 Sept. 2016
This was a page turner in places. The story moved on, although slowly at times and too fast in others. I found the story telling rather simplistic and childlike in places - in fact if it hadn't been for the occasional profanity, I would have assumed the story was geared towards children.

It did paint a good picture of life in the blitz, but even this at times seemed a little too rosy and not quite threatening enough. The Harry ending seemed abrupt and a bit too convenient - and I never really bought either of the romances (if you could even call them that). Everything was very stiff upper lip, which gave a certain distance to the characters, which led to me not particularly feeling for any of them. I am glad I read to the end, and don't feel it was a waste of my time, but I won't be reading any more by this author.

The Undead Day Twenty
The Undead Day Twenty

4.0 out of 5 stars Aye Aye Blowers!, 12 Aug. 2016
Although there were a few mistakes and missing words, you can forgive it as the story is so well paced and exciting. This is another cracking read from Mr Haywood and for those of us that have been here from the start, it is great to have some links to the earlier characters.
The writing seemed more emotional than ever, and at parts (Julie) I didn't want to read on, such was the sense of dread built in only a couple of chapters.
Brilliant addition to the series and would have been 5 star if not for the spelling errors and missing words.

Z:UK: A Zombie Novel
Z:UK: A Zombie Novel

1.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassingly bad, 12 Nov. 2015
This is the worst zombie book I have ever read - in fact scratch that - it is the worst zombie book that I have read 12 chapters of and then given up. I have never given up on any book before, but this is dire. I can only imagine that the 5 star ratings are from relations of the author as surely no one could think this drivel worthy of 5 stars.
The premise is an interesting one, but the storyline is absurd and the characterisation is non existent. The author seems to think that listing as much detail as possible about each character is enough for them to become real...it is not.
Spelling, grammar and punctuation are all awful, but I can forgive that if the story is good. This is not.
Some of the paragraphs were so awful they were funny - this one made me chuckle for a while:
'Leon fired a shot to the Zombies head whilst Devlin struck him in the same place twice when it went down to confirm it was truly dead, for the second time in its life; once when alive and the second when undead, this being the latter.'
Chapter 11 had a woman screaming for help from the top of a multi-story. The group immediately entered the car park to save her, but by the time they got there she had turned into a zombie. What confused me was that when they shot her, maggots spewed out of the wound. What sort of flies can lay eggs that hatch into maggots immediately? This happens ALOT in the book and I can only assume that the author loves a bit of gore and violence and this trumps plausibility every time...
One of the group predictably tries to rape the heroine, and then a couple of chapters later they are all chuckling over something not even vaguely funny.
If you love gore, can ignore poorly written novels, don't like characterisation, enjoy awful dialogue and don't have the concentration for a decent plot, then give it a go...you will still be disappointed though.

The Undead Day Seventeen
The Undead Day Seventeen

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and dependable read, 18 April 2015
Another solid book in the series, which are all pretty good apart from day 12. The banter is getting less annoying and more realistic and the action is well explained and exciting. I do feel that the author does repeat the same themes over and over about how the other members of the team feel about Howie, and if we are still reading after book 17 then he doesn't really need to labour this point too much.
The little boy is suitably creepy and the scientist storyline is intriguing so there is still much to anticipate in this series. While the group don't seem to make massive advances now, it is important to remember that the whole book is just one day, so it is realistic to expect their achievements to be slow.
My only niggle is the way that the women are characterised - you can tell that it is a man writing about women - there are some lazy cliches and they don't ring true like the boys seem to.(The female bonding scenes are a bit weak).
All in all it is a great read and now feels like a pair of comfy slippers to put on and snuggle into. You know what you are getting when you download each book and you know that you won't be able to put it down until finished.

Snatchers (A Novel About The Zombie Apocalypse)
Snatchers (A Novel About The Zombie Apocalypse)

1.0 out of 5 stars Average story, poorly executed., 8 Jan. 2014
I struggled through this infuriating book as I wanted to see it through to the end so that I could write a review and hopefully make people think twice about purchasing it.
The story itself is not bad - it is set in Britain so does not have an abundance of guns or weaponry - but the dialogue is terrible, clunky and sometimes cringe-worthy. I agree with a previous reviewer who suggested that the author sat with a thesaurus by his side as some of the language used is quite out of place in the context that it is used.
It is almost like he is fresh out of a GCSE English Language lesson, eager not to repeat certain phrases, but that just leads to quite baffling descriptions of the main characters.
There are also some strange decisions made. I have worked in a prison before and there is no way that I would willingly invite a rapist to team up with me no matter what the consequences were - the officers behaviour did not ring true at all.
The author goes into massive detail over the least interesting details and often refers back a number of times to something that is just not important to the character or the storyline. A good example of this is just how many times we are told Jack had been on a bender the weekend that the pandemic started. It is also very repetitive going through the same places in Staffordshire over and over again. I get that the author knows the place inside out, but after this book I feel like I do too and not in a good way.
He also goes into massive detail when characters vomit and yet most of the 'snatchers' aren't described at all. I also find it strange that a zombie novel never actually has any character refer to the 'snatcher' as zombies, although it is such a well known term in popular culture.
A pet hate of mine has always been use of 'would of' and 'could of' instead of 'would have' or 'could've' and this happens a lot in this book.
I think the final straw was at the end of the book, where the author writes what I can only describe as a defence for the criticism he is sure he will get when the book is released. If he felt the need to defend it so vigorously, why not improve it in the first place and save himself the bother of writing a justification at the end.

Needless to say I won't be buying the sequel. If you want to read a really good book set in Britain with references to actual places that doesn't drill it into your brain then 'The Undead - days 1-14' is a good place to start.

All The Dead Are Here
All The Dead Are Here

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of zombie short stories, 9 Oct. 2013
I though this was a great read. I won't spoil it by saying why this collection of short stories is different, but as you read them it slowly dawns on you why, and the last couple of stories in the book are fantastic. The minister is a truly terrifying concept and the final showdown had me turning each page with anticipation.

The writing is very good and the characterisation is brilliant. There are flashes of World War Z style brilliance, which I really enjoyed.

I would recommend this book - it will keep your interest and you can dip in and out of it when you have a spare moment.

The Undead Day Thirteen
The Undead Day Thirteen

4.0 out of 5 stars Phew - back on track after day 12, 9 Oct. 2013
I gave this series another chance after the very disappointing day 12 and I am pleased that I did. It explained away the rather weak and strange ending of the previous book and it resurrected a character that I think was a mistake to get rid of. It also introduced some new characters that stopped the book being 'the Howie show' which helped a great deal with the pace of the book.
There is still too much needless banter - I know some people like the humour, but banter doesn't need to continue for 3 pages and be so unfunny. It may break up the serious, tense situations, but it doesn't ring true for me - real life banter is hilarious - this is not.
The series is now back on track, headed in an interesting direction, which although may have been quite predictable, I think was the only way to go really.

I agree with a previous reviewer who mentioned that now is the time for the author to pay a proof reader and get something published properly. There are so many mistakes and missing words - luckily you don't get too annoyed as the story is so good.

I will definitely be getting day 14 when it comes out.

The Reanimation of Edward Schuett (Z7 Book 1)
The Reanimation of Edward Schuett (Z7 Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Original zombie read, 9 Oct. 2013
This book was fantastic. I enjoyed it from start to finish and was hooked from the opening chapter.

It has a strong story line and good characterisation, and although the premise is not completely original (e.g. warm bodies) it is still a new and exciting way to look at the zombie genre.

Anyone who loves a bit of a zombie tale will be shouting at the main characters in disbelief at one scene - the consequences of which are pretty disastrous, but it is important for the development and motivation of the hero.

It doesn't end on an annoying cliff hanger like most zombie books seem to do these days, which is nice as you don't then have to spend money on sequel after endless sequel. I wouldn't say it ties up all the loose ends, but it is a satisfying conclusion that leaves you able to go away and think about it.

It is quite gory to begin with, but this tails off quite quickly and throughout the book the excitement doesn't come from fear of zombies, but rather fear of the establishment - as this book is set in a world where zombies are actually becoming quite rare. It is a real page turner and will have you struggling to put it down. Definitely worth a read!

The Undead Day Twelve (Book Twelve of The Undead Series)
The Undead Day Twelve (Book Twelve of The Undead Series)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the other eleven days, 24 July 2013
I, like many others, have really enjoyed this series. There have been twists and turns and some heart stopping moments and I have been carried away with the story. This one just doesn't do the other books justice. It takes the story in a whole new direction, but really misses a trick i feel. I don't buy the Howie / Marcy dynamic either.
It is still a gripping read, but the characters just don't ring true for me.
I hated the prison storyline and Randall just felt unreal and to be honest, the new 'intelligent' zombies popping up here, there and everywhere is weakening the story.
I was interested in the direction that Marcy was going, but it was just wasted in the end and the decision Howie made about Lani doesn't follow what he would have done in the other books.
The banter is getting very boring too. You read a chapter that has you on the edge of your seat desperate to know what happens next and then you have pages of banter where they discuss bikinis etc.

I think day eleven was genius, especially the dog's point of view, but if the next book is like this I will leave it there, To be honest, I wish the series had ended at book eleven on a high.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2013 8:45 AM BST

Taking on the Dead (The Famished Trilogy Book 1)
Taking on the Dead (The Famished Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant characterisation and a good yarn, 19 May 2013
This was a cracking read on my Kindle. I download lots of Zombie books, mostly trashy, but every now and then I am surprised. This is a good book - I enjoyed it from start to finish. It is upfront about the fact that it s a trilogy as there is nothing worse than reading a book and being left without an ending as the author is going to write story after story before any resolution. It is fast paced, although at times it jumps a little too fast and you have to re-read to understand what has happened. There are a few errors, but nothing too glaring and again nothing I don't expect from a cheap Kindle book.
It isn't too short and the action is balanced with very descriptive passages of both the world in which the characters live and the characters themselves.
You end up caring what happens to the people in this book and that is rare with the trashy stuff I normally read. I can't wait for the next two books in the trilogy and have been reading the extra chapters that the author has been posting on her site looking at the story from another view point with a bit of added back story.
I haven't enjoyed a Zombie book this much in a long time - buy it today - you won't regret it!

Page: 1 | 2