Profile for Ailsa Malone > Reviews

Ailsa Malone

Les grands classiques Disney : Tome 2
Les grands classiques Disney : Tome 2
by Jérémy Mariez

4.0 out of 5 stars In many ways as good as the first - there are the odd ares ..., 10 Mar. 2016
In many ways as good as the first - there are the odd ares not numbered that should be, but there is a guide at the back. The thing that stops me giving it five stars is that some of the pictures are a bit too similar to those in the first one. What I loved about the first one (and this one) is the pretty wide range of characters featured, older films such as Robin Hood, The Aristocats, The Black Cauldron as well as the more popular ones. This does feature some new characters (that weren't in Volume 1); Winnie the Pooh, Remy, Fantasia and even Uncle Scrooge. To me the disappointment is that there still isn't anything from Tarzan or Tangled, plus only two from Fantasia......however there are pictures from Cinderella, 101 Dalmatians and Brave that wouldn't be missed, plus the Pixar characters just don't seem to fit. Fingers crossed for Volume 3.

360 AIR MAIL AIRMAIL PAR AVION STICKERS ROYAL MAIL POST OFFICE STATIONARY
360 AIR MAIL AIRMAIL PAR AVION STICKERS ROYAL MAIL POST OFFICE STATIONARY
Offered by ColneySales

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Pay, 14 Dec. 2013
These items will be provided - for FREE - by any Post Office. Just ask. A good PO will be happy to provide them in the hope you will return to post your packaged item with them. I believe 'bigger' sellers can request these items direct from Royal Mail.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2014 5:49 PM GMT

Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
by Anne Rice

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 30 Nov. 2012
I have to admit I'm only half way through so far and have found it disappointing and I don't anticipate finishing it. I'm not crazy about the artwork (has a manga look to it which I have always hated and unfortunately it seems to be becoming more prevalent in animation too) - the graphic novels/comics of Body Thief and The Vampire Lestat were much better - and the storyline so far is basically that of IWTV and that is a pretty major flaw. IWTV was Louis' point of view, as I understood it this would be Claudia's. Anyone familiar with Merrick (which I haven't read for a while so please correct me if I'm wrong) will know that Claudia was using Louis against Lestat because she knew she couldn't turn Lestat against Louis. She played on Louis' grief over the death of his mortal daughter. She kept a diary and schemed which one she could get rid of. Half way through there is no mention of this or hint at it. It is basically a cross between the film and first novel, I was looking forward to a very different view point akin to Lestat's take on those years in 'The Vampire Lestat' (e.g. the waterfront prostitutes weren't as innocent as Louis believed) , but if you've read IWTV or seen the movie you'll glean nothing new from this and it seems to ignore the facts later revealed in Merrick.

I'm also not keen about the format - a small hardback book, it's just not right for a graphic novel. If you want to read a good graphic novel of the Vampire Chronicles go for the two earlier ones, there are also graphic novels of Ramses and Servant of the Bones available which are worth looking at.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2013 10:10 PM GMT

The Essential Supernatural: On the Road with Sam and Dean Winchester
The Essential Supernatural: On the Road with Sam and Dean Winchester
by Eric Kripke

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your average 'companion' book, 30 Nov. 2012
I admit I'm yet to read the book fully from cover to cover, however I've already spotted a couple of typing errors and the postcards/stills/scraps could have been better attached (I've had one fall off already just from turning the page), BUT if you're a fan of the show I'd highly recommend getting a copy of this book. It's full of pictures from the show, interviews (including one with the Ghostfacers), detailed summaries (I know that sounds contradictory) of each season and loads little extras e.g. a car air freshener, maps, a hunters manual (it is tiny), stickers and four posters of the covers of the Carter Edlund books (if you're a fan you will know the books I mean).

The book itself is good quality, it's a good size, the price is reasonable. The cover below the dust-jacket has quite a cool 'olde worlde' look to it. If you're looking for detailed descriptions of every episode you won't find it in here, a fact I was pleasantly surprised by. I had been reluctant to order this book precisely because of that reason - I was concerned it was just an oversized episode guide, but I took a chance and was pleasantly surprised. This book is not a typical companion 'by the numbers' book by any means. I'm a huge fan of the LOTR movies and honestly their movie companions deserved this treatment instead of the cheap paperbacks that were produced.

My only real criticism of the book is that perhaps they should have waited for the series to end before producing it? There again it may be updated and reissued at such time.

Postcards from Ladybird: 100 Classic Ladybird Covers in One Box
Postcards from Ladybird: 100 Classic Ladybird Covers in One Box
by Ladybird
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories, 15 Oct. 2011
Great quality cards and I can remember having a lot of the titles as a child, provides a trip down memory lane. I actually think these are superior to the Puffin ones. I felt the Puffin ones tended towards some more obscure titles with quite dull covers, the same cannot be said for these.

Disneynature: African Cats [DVD] [US Import] [NTSC]
Disneynature: African Cats [DVD] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by Newtownvideo_EU

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, just not that good, 15 Oct. 2011
If, like me, you watch every documentary going on big cats you are probably not going to learn a lot from this. I didn't find it as fascinating as 'The Crimson Wing' and the soundtrack was pretty disappointing (for a Disney film). I'd like to have given it 3.5 stars. To be blunt it's not National Geographic or BBC Wildlife.

The photography is stunning (I believe a lot of the senior production team were BBC veterans) and the film is a nice length. The narration could have been written better and much as I like Samuel L Jackson he was not the right choice as narrator - but let's face it who could equal Attenborough. In places the storyline seems too contrived not a live version of 'The Lion King', but it could have benefitted from being a bit less 'U' and more 'PG'. I'm sorry but a nature documentary should not be softened for children - I know it's Disney, but I don't recall 'The Crimson Wing' being this sugary.

I must admit before watching this I had never seen Cheetahs go in such deep water or 5 male lions group together as they do in this. I don't want to say anything about the plot and ruin what happens, but you really pity the lion cub Mara and her mother (I know it's nature).

The one thing which really bugged me was you never find out the sexes of Sita's young. I highly recommend watching the credits, though with mute on to hide the dreadful Jordin Sparks song, to see the animal credits - my personal favourite being Sita's 'stunt double'.

My little rant about the film has to be about the way it's being sold. I only wanted the DVD version. If I owned a Blu-Ray I would only want the BR version. Yes I could sell the other disc, but truth be known I'm lazy and I'd sooner not have to pay for it all. Disney seem to be getting in the habit of this (Cinderella being another recent example). I don't want a debate with anyone about the merits of Blu-Ray v ordinary. I don't like Blu-Ray and do not appreciate having to pay for something I don't want (no it is not available singly). Neither do I appreciate releases including 3D and 2D versions - I'm nearly blind in one eye. It's not that I don't like 3D, I just can't see it - forcing people into buying things they can never watch is not clever.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2011 5:58 PM GMT

National Geographic: Dinosaur Discoveries [DVD]
National Geographic: Dinosaur Discoveries [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 15 Oct. 2011
This is my first review and basically I'm doing it because I feel the only other one for this set is unfair.

The documentaries are fascinating and of the National Geographic's usual high standard. If you've got a kid who loves dinosaurs I'd probably suggest something more like the BBC's Walking with Dinosaurs series if they're younger than 7 or 8. Interesting as these films are I really don't think a younger child would have the attention span to sit and watch these.

I'm not nuts about dinosaurs myself but watching the building of a baby T-Rex and the machine which could replicate it's gait was certainly interesting, as was the CSI like investigation into the 'death pit'.