Profile for GJLeale > Reviews

Content by GJLeale

GJLeale

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Transfiguration of Our World: How a Light Alliance Is Transforming Darkness and Creating a New Earth

1.0 out of 5 stars Only another grain of sand in the mountain of meaning, 28 Oct. 2014
I was very disappointed with this book. The writer has given observation to the body of Alice Bailey's work in the idea of light workers and soul groups, The Plan etc but then its as if he has tacked on a lot of youtube conspiracy content. There are some subjects which are touched on where the author presents such scant information it would have been better to omit them - e.g the chapter headed The Meaning of Crop Circles. The info was a few lines and is not a chapter. There are references to the meaning of climate change also which we now know to be very inaccurate. This book could be considered a primer for someone to read the works of Alice Bailey and DK but nothing more. While the author's CV is impressive, the book is attempting too much in such a slim volume. I was also disappointed that there are sections outlining the arrest of key figures etc but no names given and as far as I could tell, this book is completely US - centric. As such it panders to the idea that our physical bodies will be preserved! (Death is the greatest sin in the western psyche). Gordon assures us that "our consciousness will rise to higher dimensions... and ... be able to function freely on the higher plane while still being able to live in our physical bodies" So everyone can remain attached to their 3D bodies? Or are these new bodies? He doesn't say.
While it is very tempting to describe the future it is always speculative and statement like this should be fully explained.
There are a lot of voices out there all claiming the new earth/world/etc but very few if any have the back up and detail to make their speculations truly credible.

Mug Cakes: Ready in Five Minutes in the Microwave
Mug Cakes: Ready in Five Minutes in the Microwave
by Lene Knudsen

3.0 out of 5 stars MEASUREMENT ALERT, 16 Sept. 2014
HUGE WARNING.
Read the introduction page on measurements in this book very carefully. I read a recipe which I was going to try and noticed the amount of flour was 6 tablespoons. Now in the UK, a tablespoon is a large serving spoon ad a traditional one would hold exactly an ounce if the amount of flour is the same above and blow the spoon rim. So 6 ounces of flour is enough to make a cake in a 6 inch tin.
The measurements page explains a tablespoon in their terms is equal to 1/4 of an ounce - so make sure you convert the measurements properly first. By my reckoning 6 tbsp would be an once and a half for theses recipes.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2015 9:11 AM BST

New Cura Romana Weightloss Plan
New Cura Romana Weightloss Plan
by Leslie Kenton

1.0 out of 5 stars There are easier and more healthy ways to lose weight, 27 July 2014
I am currently on day 6 of Leslie Kenton’s Cura Romana and feeling awful.
I am following the protocol assiduously but after reading Dr Simeons’ original work and the book very thoroughly I can see there are better ways to lose weight.
I have naturally very low blood pressure and it has dropped even further now that I am in as Simeons puts it, “near protein starvation.” The effects of this kind of shock on the body is to produce weakness and in turn, produce cortisol, the flight or fight hormone. Over all it places a strain on the kidney meridian in Trad. Chinese Med this is essential for homeostasis - the tendency towards a relatively stable equilibrium between interdependent elements, especially as maintained by physiological processes - therefore vitality and much much more. After two days I began to feel listless, weak, forgetful, and by the end of the day unable to even read much as I felt mentally impaired!
Crash diets - of which this is definitely one - rely on the loss of glycogen in the first few days to record weigh loss. This diet starts with two days of feasting to build up glycogen so your initial loss is that - but it doesn’t mention how much loss can be accountable for that so your first days of loss are going to be very misleading even though encouraging.
As Ms Kenton often explains - things have moved on since Dr Simeons’ original research in the 20s. And things have moved on in such a way which would allow you to lose weight and bypass this very extreme regime. The essence of this diet is actually limiting carbs. And whereas Kenton explains that in the consolidation period (post starvation regime to re establish a normal eating pattern) it can be “exciting to find out what foods work for you and what don’t” it can be demoralising to the person who has stuck it out only to gain weight by way of experimentation. A quick reference to Peter D’Adamo’s Eat Right for Your Type (blood type diet) would be a short cut and perhaps a better way to lose weight. The Atkins, Paleo diets are also low carb and the 5:7 highly effective, as I have seen in my daughter who lost nearly two stone and hardly changed her diet.
The problem with this diet is that Simeon’s research has focused too narrowly as his research was done with a very specific group of boys suffering Frohlich’s syndrome (damage to hypothalamus apparently) who were obese then transferred the protocol to other obese patients. However, he did admit that only 60-70% of his patients maintained weight loss after going back to proper eating.
The essence of weigh loss is the elimination of bad carbs in every case.
I wouldn’t really recommend this diet as I think it compromises too much and in researching have seen people complain of hair loss. Incidentally according to Kenton you cannot get your hair coloured during the weigh loss period either…!!! But you can (although not ideally) drink your fill of coffee. This alone will play havoc with your insulin levels and on days when your weight loss stalls, she advocates only eating apples - which of course are full of sugar. The people who rave about this diet may have been more dependent on coffee than they admit!
As I conduct this experiment - let me add I don’t have a serious weigh issue, just 7-10 lbs which have crept up over 5 years. I just don’t want to buy any bigger clothes so I aim to lose a bit of weight. So far, I feel weak, light headed, unable to concentrate after about mid day, have limited energy and vitality. I am testing my kidney meridian with an electronic acupuncture device and find the symptoms of knee stiffness, back ache and deplete vitality and now tinnitus consistent with a weakened meridian since I started this diet. So I will not be doing the full 21 days on this protocol and perhaps switch to Paleo.
its worth remembering Leslie Kenton is primarily a journalist and has had a weight issue all her life. Unfortunately her approach is not as holistic as she would like because whereas this crash diet may create weigh loss, there is little or no research on the effects to the rest of the body while in the starvation process. The lack of science with respect to general homeostasis of the body in this book is filled in with Kenton’s own “spiritual hyperbole” on diet. While I totally advocate her section, Feed on Bliss and its reference to pranayama or breathing I cannot approve of the regime so far. The spray definitely helps - up to a point but is no compensation for the damage I might be doing otherwise. Anyone who is really interested on the effects of starvation on the entire body might read this lengthy article on kidney chi and homeostasis http://www.planetherbs.com/theory/integrating-the-traditional-chinese-understanding-of-the-kidneys-into-western-herbalism.html
Based on this, I wouldn’t recommend it. My recommendation would be a combination starting with Eat Right for Your Type to ascertain what proteins are right for you and then either the Paleo (ideal for blood type O but not A) or the 5:7. I will continue for a few more days but experiment with using Siberian Ginseng or eleutherococcus senticocus) to regain vitality and get kidney yang moving.
Finally this diet is also dependent on the use of a laxative tea. The combination of coffee, laxatives and starvation are to me, a very bad mix.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2014 3:05 PM BST

The Science Delusion: Feeling the Spirit of Enquiry
The Science Delusion: Feeling the Spirit of Enquiry

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheldrake under no illusion, 10 July 2013
Sheldrake is what science should be all about. Science loves new ideas but scientists hate them. Sheldrake explains how complacency in material science restricts true scientific thought and lack of that impinges on everyone's lives. This is a remarkable book and presents a challenge to the concrete thinking which has become science dogma and not science fact.

Right Where You Are Sitting Now: Further Tales of the Illuminati (Visions)
Right Where You Are Sitting Now: Further Tales of the Illuminati (Visions)
by Robert Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 19 May 2013
I'm a huge fan of Robert Anton WIlson. Both he and Christopher Hyatt remind me why we shouldn't strive for mediocrity disguised as success. We live in a world where the wrong things are idolised, the wrong people, the wrong dogmas. Anton WIlson pushed hard. If you have a shred of a rebel inside you, then this is your book.

Chocolats Camille Bloch: Mousse Pralines (Chocolates) Noir, 60% cocoa - 3 x 100 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply seductive and delicious, 19 May 2013
I wish I could add another star. Too delicious. I first ate Camille Bloch mousse in Switzerland and am so glad I can get it online. It is my favourite chocolate with a deep coal-ish flavour and a fine ariy mousse centre.

Dr.Hauschka Rythmic conditioner Sensitive 10 phials
Dr.Hauschka Rythmic conditioner Sensitive 10 phials

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone with sensitive skin, 19 May 2013
These vials restore balance to skin which is irritated or has breakouts. The liquid is light on the skin and oil free. I first used this product 17 years ago and always keep some for emergencies.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont share with anyone, its too good!, 19 May 2013
Rich, velvety and delicious I have to hide it from myself... Gorgeous Swiss chocolate with a light syruppy Cointreau filling.

The Fast Diet: The secret of intermittent fasting - lose weight, stay healthy, live longer

3.0 out of 5 stars It works and its easy, 19 May 2013
Its sound and it works. it could have had more options for the fasting days. 500 calories a day is very little and it might help people if there were more suggestions for how to get the best out of them.

The Game Changers: Social Alchemists in the 21st Century
The Game Changers: Social Alchemists in the 21st Century

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to its title., 19 May 2013
I expected more, given the title. Name names please. Give examples. This is not realy a book, its an expanded pamphlet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3