Profile for Avid Reader > Reviews

Content by Avid Reader

Avid Reader (England)

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Nylon Braided Lightning to USB Cable - 1.8 m (6 ft) - Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, 15 April 2017
Great quality and works just fine

Romney's Winter Candy Bar 85g, Multi, One Size
Romney's Winter Candy Bar 85g, Multi, One Size
Offered by Candy Hero

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, 15 April 2017
If you like Kendal mint cake and aniseed flavoured rock, you'll LOVE this! I do :)

8 Piece 18 Clips Clip in Hair Synthetic Extensions Full Head 27 inches (68cm) Wavy Hair Extension Lady Women Clip on Hair Hairpieces Dark Ash Blonde Mix Bleach Blonde-C588
Offered by Lavender Violets

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 15 April 2017
Great value and authentic-looking hair extensions - my daughter loves them!

Sony PRS-300 Reader eBook (with Space for up to 350 eBooks) (Pink)
Sony PRS-300 Reader eBook (with Space for up to 350 eBooks) (Pink)
Offered by K.K. Electronics

3.0 out of 5 stars Be warned - cover does not protect screen!, 31 Aug. 2010
I bought this in June 2010 after several months research and wanting to find an eBook I could carry around with me. I also bought the hard cover with light so as to protect the screen.
I love the eBook itself, the functionality is great and I love reading it - even outdoors in bright sunlight the screen has no glare. However...
...it's now the end of August 2010 and the screen has developed a fault where cross-cross lines have appeared all over it. I've been advised that the manufacturer's warranty will not apply as the lines are consistent with damage - ie, a drop or something sharp pressing against the screen. Sony have estimated the cost to repair at just over £100 (on an item that originally cost £149 new).
I've been carrying the eBook around in my handbag and know it has not been dropped. I also have no knowledge of anything sharp pressing against the screen - particularly as the case should have prevented this. If I'd known the eBook was so delicate I would probably have left it at home apart from holidays - it's unusable after just 2 months usage.
I'm lucky in that my credit card provider gives me 90 days purchase protection including accidental damage, so I'm currently pressing ahead with an insurance claim through my provider so I can get the eBook repaired - but I just wanted to warn others that carrying your eBook around, even in a case, is not really advisable and you should probably stick to reading it at home (which kind of defeats the point of having a portable device that hold lots of books...)
I woon't be recommending this particular model to friends any more.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2012 4:01 PM BST

It's Not What You Think
It's Not What You Think
by Chris Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm, funny and heartfelt autobiography!, 19 Mar. 2010
I have read many autobiographies over the years and would rate this as one of the best. I practically grew up watching Chris on the Big Breakfast, Don't Forget your Toothbrush, and the fantastic TFI Friday - and then switched to Virgin Radio as a result of wanting to listen to Chris on the breakfast show (I'm still an Absolute Radio listener now as I reallly love their music philosophy!)

Chris admits to many mistakes in the course of his life, but comes across as a warm, genuine and funny human being who lives life to the full - and the story of how he bought Virgin Radio from the almighty Richard Branson is an absolute gem.
Worth reading even if you weren't previously a fan of the Ginger one... and I can't wait for Book 2!

The Time of My Life
The Time of My Life
by Patrick Swayze

5.0 out of 5 stars Very poignant especially now..., 30 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Hardcover)
I pre-ordered this book having spotted its imminent release on the day of Patrick Swayze's untimely death from pancreatic cancer. I devoured it in one sitting, as it's a well written story of a man who despite his own (admitted) faults loved his wife and was passionate about everything he did. The foreward paticularly was very poignant to read as he spoke so positively about beating the cancer, and I'm sure this will be updated for the paperback version.

Patrick Swayze was a fantastic dancer, actor, singer, husband and cowboy and I'm certain his memory will live on in his films. Dirty Dancing, Ghost and Point Break were 3 of my favourites, and the book has now inspired me to find a few others that I'd not yet seen.

For anyone who wants to get to know the real man behind THAT body (!) and a real love story, then read this book. You will not be disappointed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2010 4:43 PM BST