Profile for A. Jones > Reviews

Content by A. Jones

A. Jones (London)

13.3 inch Laptop Ultrabook Leather Sleeve Carry Case Cover for Apple Macbook Air 13.3 , Asus Zenbook UX31, Acer Aspire S3 (Red)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, 26 Feb. 2014
This is a very nice sleeve which looks like it could easily cost far more than it does. I bought it for a Dell XPS 13, and it's perhaps slightly roomier than it needs to be for this laptop, particularly at the top where it could easily lose about an inch. That's not a problem for me, but if you're wanting a case that adds minimal bulk to your ultrabook then you might want to look elsewhere.

The sleeve did have a slightly funny smell when I first opened it - the glue used, perhaps? - but that disappeared after a couple of days and it's absolutely fine now.

I'm very happy with this purchase. I also think the sleeve would make a rather nice folder for A4 documents. I'm a musician and I'm considering buying another one to keep sheet music in!

CAT Footwear Women's Caribou Cola Fur Trimmed Boot
CAT Footwear Women's Caribou Cola Fur Trimmed Boot

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect winter boots!, 11 Dec. 2012
Having spent the past few Edinburgh winters struggling around town in wellies (cold feet), trainers (soggy toes) or ballet pumps (just... no), I decided that this year I wanted to be better prepared. I'd never owned a pair of winter boots before, but I had a pretty specific idea of what I wanted.

- Black
- Good grip (after a couple of nasty falls I'm terrified of slipping)
- Practical, but not too clompy or ugly
- But at the other end of the scale, not too trendy or 'yummy mummy', and definitely NOT moon boots. And nothing with 'fashionista' in the description!
- Oh, and I didn't want to spend more than £100.

So, you know... not too specific or anything.

For ages, I didn't think I'd find anything suitable. Everything was either way out of my price range, really hideous, or just didn't convince me that it would actually stand up to snow and ice. However, when I finally found these, I wanted to do a happy little dance. They were exactly what I'd been looking for!

Firstly, they are so comfy. Before even 'breaking them in' properly I was able to happy walk around in them with no rubbing or discomfort at all. They're also seriously warm - my feet are so toasty that it makes the rest of me a little jealous! The soles have excellent grip on the icy pavements we've got in Edinburgh at the moment. I'm yet to try them in snow (though I have a feeling that's not far off) but I am confident that they'll hold up well there too.

They look great too. In the pictures I much prefer the brown ones, but I took a chance on the black anyway hoping that they'd look nicer in reality. I wasn't disappointed. I don't think they photograph too well, but they actually look much smarter in reality than they do in the photos.

Definitely the best purchase I've made in a long time!

Bluetooth Shower Radio / Speaker, Waterproof, Clear Sound, ideal bathroom, camping or kitchen. Handsfree or pick up phone use
Offered by Home & Travel

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful, 4 Dec. 2012
We bought this to help us get motivated in the mornings. The combination of music in the shower and a clock to see how you're doing for time seemed ideal.

For a couple of weeks, it worked great. However, then the problems started. My boyfriend somehow managed to accidentally set the alarm to go off at 10am and, try as we might, we could NOT turn it off - we could get it to snooze but it would come on again later. Half of the buttons just seem to have stopped working, including the one to enable or disable the alarm. Several times we've had to resort to just turning the volume all the way down, and even then it won't go completely silent so there's a vague murmuring coming from it for the next hour or so.

However, the final straw was when it just started beeping randomly (and loudly) for no reason. I have no idea if this is part of the alarm feature, but I assume not because it's completely random as to when it goes off. It woke us up at 5:30 this morning, and the only way to stop it was to take out the batteries (cue frantic scrambling around looking for a screwdriver!).

It's now in the bin. What a waste of money!

Waterman Large Size Ink Cartridges 8 Pack - Serenity Blue
Waterman Large Size Ink Cartridges 8 Pack - Serenity Blue
Offered by Office Nerd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cartridges, 24 July 2012
I'm no fountain pen/ink expert, but I think these are wonderful cartridges. I recently rediscovered a fountain pen I'd been given as a gift a few years ago, and decided to start using it again since I much prefer the way my writing looks when I use one.

I ran out and bought the first ink cartridges I found; some cheap, short ones that seemed to be intended for children to use. When I started writing with them, my writing looked lovely - until the ink started smearing everywhere. Try as I might, I simply could not get it to dry. Even if I left my notebook open for 10 minutes, as soon as I closed it the ink would blot and smudge, and the whole thing was a horrible mess.

So I did some research and saw Waterman highly recommended. I went with these and as soon as I tried them (once I'd run through the ink leftover from the old cartridges) I couldn't believe the difference. I write, leave the ink for about 5-10 seconds, and then I can actually rub my finger across the writing without it smudging at all. And this is on fairly poor-quality paper too.

The best I'd been hoping for was 'slightly less smudgy' than my awful cheap cartridges, but this has far exceeded my expectations! And even though it's fast-drying, the ink still flows beautifully. It glides out of the pen and looks 'wet' for a few seconds before it dries, although of course this will vary depending on what paper you're using.

I'm a huge Filofax fan but had given up on using a fountain pen in mine, since Filofax paper and fountain pen ink never really seemed to mix. However, having tried the Waterman ink on my Filofax paper I'm amazed to say that it dries super-fast on there too. I'm now itching to order another fountain pen to keep in my Filofax's pen loop, and I'll be filling that with Waterman ink too.

The colour is lovely too - a nice, bright blue which looks attractive while still being sensible enough for office/school use. I can't wait to try out some of Waterman's other colours too!

SENA Ultraslim pouch for iPhone 3G 3GS in Black
SENA Ultraslim pouch for iPhone 3G 3GS in Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the iPhone 4 too!, 23 Dec. 2011
This is a great quality iPhone case. The leather is quite stiff at first but it soon loosens up nicely. It's so much better than some of the horribly tacky cases around, and when you pay £400+ for a phone I think it's worth buying something decent to keep it in.

I actually use this case with my iPhone 4S, and previously used it with my iPhone 4. I do so because I like to have a hard case on the back (and a screen protector on the front of course). The hard case makes the phone too wide for the iPhone 4 Ultraslim, but close to perfect for this one! It's maybe a millimetre too short, and it needs to be a very thin case like the Gear 4 Thin Ice or the Incipio feather or it won't fit. So there's a tip for you all! I'm sure I can't be the only person who likes to have both.

Marvel Comic The Hulk Mobile Phone Sock Pouch Case
Marvel Comic The Hulk Mobile Phone Sock Pouch Case

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading description, 28 Nov. 2011
Bought as a stocking filler, but the description is misleading. This is a 'sock' for a mobile phone or MP3 player, not an actual pair of socks! It will still be going in the stocking, but it would have been nice if this had been made clear.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but do follow the instructions about washing before use!, 13 July 2011
This year I've been investing in some really good sleeping gear for camping. I've got a great sleeping bag and a great mattress, but when I've tried them out on various short camping trips I've really suffered from not having a good pillow. When the rest of me is really warm and cosy, it just highlights how uncomfortable my head is!

So, I decided to purchase one of these. When it arrived I unrolled it and tried it out, and thought 'yup, pretty comfy'. However, it was still quite soft and lumpy. The instructions recommended washing and tumble drying it before first use, and I read some reviews which claimed that their pillows had doubled in size after doing that. I didn't believe that could be true, but I gave it a go anyway. The pillow did have a bit of a 'factory' smell to it, too, so I figured giving it a wash was a good idea anwyay.

Well, I stand corrected. Doubling in size is really no exaggeration! I actually had a little trouble getting it out of the tumble drier afterwards. After washing and drying, it's more comfortable than my normal pillow at home, and a really decent size. It still compresses down just as small, but I recommend storing it uncompressed as much as possible (just as you would with a sleeping bag).

Do shop around, though - I found it much cheaper in some online shops than in others.

I can't wait to try it out on my next camping trip. I think this is exactly what I've been missing and now I reckon I'm going to sleep like a log!

Tana's Kitchen Secrets
Tana's Kitchen Secrets
by Tana Ramsay

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family cookbook, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Tana's Kitchen Secrets (Hardcover)
I can't stand Gordon Ramsay, but I didn't know much about his wife's books until my daughter gave me this one for mother's day. I was a little apprehensive but I needn't have worried - I've cooked four or five of the recipes in here and they've all turned out brilliantly. I'm not really much of a cook but I find these recipes really easy to follow, and it's been great having so many healthy meal ideas without too many fancy ingredients to buy. My biggest success was with the Moroccan fish tagine, which was a brave move for me as I've never cooked anything like it before. I hardly ever cook fish as my husband doesn't really like it, but when I made the tagine he thought it was delicious! I'll definitely be making it again. Thanks Tana!