Profile for A. Hewitt > Reviews

Content by A. Hewitt

A. Hewitt (Scarborough, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Steel Drawer for the VonHaus 5 Tier Heavy Duty Racking: Free 2 Year Warranty
Steel Drawer for the VonHaus 5 Tier Heavy Duty Racking: Free 2 Year Warranty
Offered by DOMU UK
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars looking at the drawings it seems easy, but when fitted according to how it looks, 18 Oct. 2015
I bought two of these to go with the shelving unit. They are a bit clumsy compared to the shelves, as the construction leaves the back and front panels able to pull away from the base due to the flexing in the material.

These are also quite fiddly to assemble and fit into the shelving unit. You need to fit these before fitting the shelve above it (otherwise you can't hammer in the tabs), which leaves it a bit unstable until you have done so.

It's also not really clear how the runners should be mounted, looking at the drawings it seems easy, but when fitted according to how it looks, the drawers disappear under the shelf, I ended up experimenting to find the best fit, but still ended up with them not closing flush. After having to fiddle about with one of them, it appears that the runners aren't that sturdy either, and look like they'll probably fall apart in time.

However, all said, they're OK for the price, and function enough for some small items.

VonHaus 1.8m Heavy Duty Steel & MDF Boltless 5 Tier Racking Shelf Free 2 Year Warranty Industrial Steel Shelving Unit - Massive 875Kg Capacity
Offered by DOMU UK
Price: 37.99

4.0 out of 5 stars it's sturdy enough, but might recommend a bit of help ..., 18 Oct. 2015
This is an OK set of shelves, although a bit fiddly to put together, as mentioned by others the tabs can be tricky to get inserted into the slots properly on all sides at once, needing opening up here, and pushing there to get them in - as I was using this unit for light duties, I didn't bother mucking about with the odd one or two that poked through.

Once up, it's sturdy enough, but might recommend a bit of help getting the first section done.

Overall though, it's very good for the price, although delivery charges were a bit high when bought with additional items (I also bought two of the drawer kits - which is another story).

BLACK gaffa Duct tape Multipurpose 50M roll
BLACK gaffa Duct tape Multipurpose 50M roll
Offered by PolyPostalBags
Price: 2.84

3.0 out of 5 stars but it's not the best 'duct' tape I've ever had, 27 Jun. 2015
Been using this for a while now, but it's not the best 'duct' tape I've ever had, as it doesn't always stay stuck on some surfaces, and is hard to peel off the reel - seems that it sticks to itself the best!

Grado Spare Pads For SR60i, SR80i & SR125i
Grado Spare Pads For SR60i, SR80i & SR125i

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 27 Jun. 2015
These are good replacement pads for my Grado SR60 headphones. I was trying the upgraded ones off the SR80, but found them too hard and uncomfortable. These are like the originals, sit nicely on the ear, and don't affect the sound at all, although a bit of a tight fit they do go on fine.

Betron Apple Certified Lightning Connector, Durable, Braided , Extra Strong, Charger Cable for iPhone, iPad, iPod, iPad Mini (Silver)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made cable, worth spending extra on., 27 Jun. 2015
Initial impressions are very good for this cable. I have a couple of cheaper ones, one mistakenly bought on eBay as a fake genuine Apple one, and was trouble from the start.

This one from Betron does show that you get what you pay for, the quality of the cable is excellent, and feels much better made than cables I have had that were genuine Apple. It connects without any issues, and plugs into the iPhone smoothly.

I can't say what it's like for longevity, that will have to wait, but it does appear to be robust.

Overall, it seems expensive for a 'compatible' cable, but in my opinion, don't waste your money on the cheap ones, you'll spend more on those in the long run anyway, invest in a decent cable like this.

Yamaha YAS-103 Wireless Front Surround Soundbar System with dual built-in subwoofers and Bluetooth - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound for the price, 30 May 2015
I decided to get a sound bar as we're moving house, and don't have space for my old full surround system with large floor standing speakers. After much research, and working out the compromises I have to make, I chose the Yamaha YAS103 as it seems to offer excellent value for the price point, and there are a good many positive comments, and a few very good pro reviews in publications too.

It's not disappointing either. Yeah, it'll never compare to a 6 channel 80w Yamaha amp, into Castle Severn floor standers, but it's definitely not as much a compromise as I was expecting. I was also in two minds about whether to go for a separate sub-bass system, but again, the YAS103 doesn't disappoint here, the built in 'sub' system is more than adequate, and does have good separate control over the main sound.

I have had to mess around a bit with sorting out my connection setup as my TV doesn't have a digital output, but a HDMI matrix switcher with a Coax output has fixed that, so I only need to use one input each for the TV and the sound bar from the switcher (if you have a SkyHD box connected, remember to change the sound output for HDMI to 'Dolby Digital', so you get full Digital surround feed to the bar, otherwise it uses to stereo PLII enhanced two channel surround). And the iPhone connects to the Bluetooth input without any problems at all.

The extra settings for clear speech and uni-volume are good for normal TV viewing, but for movies and music I find these are better turned off.

The only thing I find missing is a headphone socket, perhaps a pair of BlueTooth headphones might work, but I haven't looked into that.

finally, the iPhone app from Yamaha seems to do the job fine, it controls inputs and sound settings, and offers a few surround modes that you din't get when using the normal remote - although I find using 'Music' and 'Movie' are the best two - and it controls normal volume and the sub bass level.

Overall, it's a very decent bit of audio gear, it's not for audiophiles, but offers a better sound than a TV, and a decent audio source for a small home.

Propolis Capsules 90 x 1000mg
Propolis Capsules 90 x 1000mg
Offered by Verdure Plus
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work for me, 15 Mar. 2015
I've been buying these tablet for about 15 years, since I went to the farm that actually produces them. They do seem to help with many little things over time, and I'm sure they've reduced things like mouth ulcers, cold sores, and even reduced effects of common colds. Difficult to measure of course, and they may or may not do anything for everyone, but they're worth a try - do some research to see what they might do for you, there's a list of ailments they're supposed to help with.

4 x SD / SDHC Portable Strong Storage Protection Case ideal for Carrying Around - Holds 4 SD Cards - Blue
Offered by KING OF FLASH
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well made, but a tad bulky, 15 Mar. 2015
This is a good case for my SD cards, just fits into the front pocket of my compact camera case. Very well padded, but just a little too bulky if anything.

Transcend 16 GB microSDHC Flash Memory Card TS16GUSDHC4E [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging]
Price: 4.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 15 Mar. 2015
Just works. Alongside a couple of other brands, this has become another that I have started to trust for reliable cards. I got this to use in a Dragon Touch tablet I got from Amazon, and it worked and formatted without any problems at all. I also use some standard SD cards from Transcend in my digital cameras, and they've never been any trouble either. They seem to work fast enough too, although I've never done any data transfer tests, just go by how everything appears to work.

Ex-Pro® Black PROtect Camera Case for Olympus / mjµ / Stylus / mju / µ- / 800, 9000, AZ-2, C-70, C-180, C-315, C-350, C-360, C-460, C-480, C-500, FE-120, Mju-800, Mju-9000, SZ-30, TG-230, TG-320, VG-130, VG-160, VG-170, VR-310, VR-320, VR-330, VR-340, X880, X890, X915
Offered by ExpressPro
Price: 2.97

3.0 out of 5 stars OK bag, but do check the size of your camera, 13 Mar. 2015
Sadly I couldn't use this for my new camera, a Panasonic TZ60, I misjudged the size by just a few mm in one dimension, and it doesn't fit.

However, the bag does appear to be of pretty good quality, and I'd recommend this for a smaller camera.

Just one comment though, a slight criticism, the bag would actually have fitted this camera if the opening wasn't slightly smaller than the rest of the bag.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7