Profile for Canaffle > Reviews

Canaffle (London, UK)

The Sims 3 (PC/Mac DVD)
The Sims 3 (PC/Mac DVD)
Offered by Netro Enterprise

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sims 3 main game - A modern game so it probably needs a modern PC, 15 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Sims 3 (PC/Mac DVD) (CD-ROM)
Well yes, as the title says, "probably needs a modern PC".
My laptop was an old trooper playing the Sims 2 and somehow Spore, but it did tire like an old man and so earlier on in the year I got a new PC which was great as this game was coming out.
I, like many other Sims-fans, was very excited.
I found it really easy to load and start up.

Creating your Sim:

Good points:

Hair colour and clothes - you can create lots of different hair colours and designs on clothing and their colour. The only flaw with that I feel is the lack of creating your own hair styles but maybe that is in the expansion "money-making" packs to come ^_^.

Traits and stuff - I quite like this, you can make your Sim mad and a kleptomaniac, however I don't think the sims are mad enough for entertainment, the options are "Talk about conspiracies" and "Tell Ghost Story" >.>

Walking about:

I love the freedom of the Sims 3, you can just go and knock on your neighbours' door, it's great. But like if you misbehave you just get kicked out.. my Sim needed a shower though!

Points:

I can't remember what the exact name is for them but when you do something the sim wants or needs you gain these points. Then with these points you can buy extra personality traits or items from the Chest Icon. I only found it out today, it's great. I bought this machine where you can change the Sim's shape :]

Extra clothing:

You don't have to go out to buy clothing!!
You just click on the wardrobe and then click "Plan outfit" and change!
Yay free clothes!

Bad Points:

As I said, I bought a new pc with a brillant graphics card, but the graphics of the Sims game itself isn't that great, I was expecting better.. i'm sorry EA/MAXIS but they aren't that great in comparison to the Sims 2 and Spore. For example, when you are playing the game with an active sim, you get a little picture of them at the bottom along with their mood etc.. Well that picture is kinda just a notch up on the graphics from The Sims original.

Lack of cheats: Well I use cheats on the Sims 2 like "Maxmotives" so I can spend less time telling the Sims to eat and stuff, and more time to interact and increase skills. I know it's early days and maybe there is one, but I searched and I can't find any decent ones. Oh there is one "motherload" like in the Sims 2, get 50,000 simoleans ;D

You can't go into public buildings:

I was very disappointed when my sim had their first day at work, because the advert portrayed that I could go "everywhere" with my sim. So my sim went to work in the writing building and I was stuck looking at the wall and the entrance, just watching all the other little sims wizzing past going to and from work.
Within the Sims 2 you could go into the restaurant while your sim was having a meal, not in the Sims 3. Again I stared at the fussy 2D neon sign of the diner.
Neverless you can go into the Gym and the Library.. but that's not fun.
When you work your sim out or they're learning a new skill, you put them on fast forward, so yeah..

Conclusion:

People have dramatically slated this game, when it isn't as bad as people make it out.
Yes you do need quite a well performing PC, but that's the way technology is going nowadays..
It is a good game with some great new updates from the Sims 2, but have faltered in some aspects.
I'm sure it will get better with the expansion "money making" packs.
I didn't plan on writing for this long but I hope this has explained how it is good and bad.
If I had a choice again, i'd still buy it :]
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2011 2:19 PM BST