Profile for Frederick (Rick) Maskell > Reviews

Content by Frederick (Ric...

Frederick (Rick) Maskell (Eastbourne, England)

Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2004 Standard
Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2004 Standard

1.0 out of 5 stars The Magix audio cleaning Lab 2004 is not all there., 19 Jun. 2017
Beware of the audio cleaning lab 2004 - you'll be disappointed. This standard version has an effects mastering rack, including declicker, denoiser etc for cleaning the recording. It also has stereo FX and compressor for mastering. It should also have reverb and delay (echo) but they are just there for the appearance - they are totally non-functional. Why ??

Addicted to Love: An Autobiography
Addicted to Love: An Autobiography
by Jan Leeming

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, and well worth reading over and over again., 12 April 2017
I started to write my autobiography in 2001, and I bought Jan's book in 2003 for inspiration. I read it from cover to cover in 2 days. For me that's rare, I usually take a week or a fortnight just to read a paperback, and more often than not I give up after 25 pages. But this was (for me) a real page turner which I found "unputdownable".
Jan says there might be another book in the offing sometime in the future, and I look forward to that. Well done Jan!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince [DVD]
Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 8 Mar. 2017
Overlong, and too many dark scenes.

Mirror Mirror
Mirror Mirror

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Mirror Mirror (Kindle Edition)
Good readable short story, and very scary.

The Anniversary Song (40 Best Tracks Remastered)
The Anniversary Song (40 Best Tracks Remastered)

4.0 out of 5 stars Who is AL JONSON ?, 6 Aug. 2016
What a total insult to a great star - they couldn't even spell his name correctly !!!

Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2005 Deluxe
Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2005 Deluxe

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for vinyl and tapes, and pretty good for karaoke too!, 8 July 2011
I purchased this program back in 2005 or 2006 to record my vinyl collection, cassette tapes, and reel-to-reel tapes on to CD, and for that I can't praise it highly enough. It's user-friendly, with a comprehensive manual (both in a booklet and on screen).

Then I discovered that I could use it as a recording studio, as follows :-

After purchasing karaoke backtracks on CD and importing them into Magix (or downloading the tracks from the Internet straight into Magix), I open a second Magix (thus two Magix programs are now running). With the backtrack playing in the first Magix, I can sing into a mic while recording it in the second Magix. After saving the vocal, it can then be imported into the first Magix and married with the backtrack. The vocal with backtrack can then be played together whilst adding reverb, echo (delay) and various other effects, and saved to CD as a complete professional CD. Great to give to your friends.

The only drawback is that there is only room for one vocal track (or one stereo track with two vocals). I emailed Magix to ask if they had considered releasing a version of the Audio Cleaning Lab with more than two tracks. They emailed back in the negative, but advised me to try their Music Maker Professional software, which I did - what a terrible program that is! - my scathing review can be read against Magix Music Maker Professional.

Magix Music Maker Professional (14 CD-Roms)
Magix Music Maker Professional (14 CD-Roms)

1.0 out of 5 stars Be warned, 5 July 2011
I purchased this about a month ago, hoping I could marry two or three vocal tracks to a backing track. I regret to say that even now I haven't had any joy out of the program, being the most user-unfriendly software I've ever tried to use. I still don't know how to make the toolbar visible, the Cut Mouse Mode (where a pair of scissors divides an audio track into two separate objects) is explained, and I'd use it if I could find it! I couldn't get the echo (digital delay) to work, and I could mention many other things.

In a fit of exasperation, I called up a previous program, Magix Audio Cleaning Lab, and suddenly everything was so easy and straightforward. The only drawback is that Audio Cleaning Lab only allows two tracks (which is why I purchased the multitrack music maker program).

If Magix could produce the Audio Cleaning Lab with three or four tracks, it would make Magix a fortune in its ease of use and immediate results, but as for Magix Music Maker Professional - it's going in the bin.

Christmas Visitor [DVD] [2002] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Christmas Visitor [DVD] [2002] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars The christmas visitor, 22 Nov. 2008
This is a heartwarming, feelgood film but at the same time has some touching moments. I cried like a baby at the end. But this doesn't mean that the film has a sad ending. You will see what I mean once you have seen it.

If you like Christmas and a touch of magic, then watch this ! Highly recommended, but make sure you have a box of tissues.

Me And My Shadows/Listen To Cliff
Me And My Shadows/Listen To Cliff

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not compare favourably with the vinyl, 8 July 2006
I purchased this CD of two of Cliff's hit LPs from the early sixties thinking I would enjoy good quality versions of the original albums I used to enjoy, and indeed most of the tracks are just that. Unfortunately there are some tracks which are not the originals. Maybe the originals were too long, and were replaced by shorter tracks to fit in more easily. 'I Love You So' used to have an acoustic guitar solo in the middle, but this version has no solo, just strumming which fades out with no further singing. It wouldn't be so bad if the record label had some warning, such as 'some tracks have been changed or substituted'. So, diehard fans, be warned, or you'll be disappointed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2014 10:17 PM BST

Christmas With Nat & Dean
Christmas With Nat & Dean
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 11 Nov. 2001
I have had the original 12" vinyl LP since 1974 - it is getting a bit scratchy lately, and this CD contains every song on the original album plus ten more !!
Nat's voice like warm chocolate, and the impeccable control of Dean's friendly voice coupled with a perfect choice of songs really conjures up the Christmas feeling better than any other album I have ever heard, and that makes this THE album that everybody should have in their collection.
The only down side - some bright spark at the recording company has seen fit to substitute Nat's hit recording of 'The Christmas Song' with an inferior recording. Nat still sings it beautifully, but why oh why do they do it ???
Apart from that, this is the best Christmas album of them all.