Profile for Terri Wiseman > Reviews

Karen and the Micro-Buddies: The Surfactants
Karen and the Micro-Buddies: The Surfactants
by Sally Kuzniewski

5.0 out of 5 stars Confusing but brilliant, 26 July 2013
Apparently the author is some sort of famous biologist. I initially bought this to help me explain microbiology to my 12 year old son but I ended up learning and really enjoying the adventure. It reads a bit like a sort of science fiction thing about miniaturized scientists but every few pages there's some heavy scientific detail added if you want to understand the background behind the story. I actually ended up reading this twice, first time to just do the story and the second time I read the notes and tried to follow it. Some I got some I didn't but brilliant idea.

Saving Miguel
Saving Miguel

4.0 out of 5 stars Worryingly prophetic, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Saving Miguel (Kindle Edition)
The background to this book is worryingly prophetic dealing with the aftermath of a global financial collapse. I just hope we avoid the nightmare visions of the future here but overall this book is an adventure story about various factions of all shades of grey trying to hunt down a boy who holds the key to the future. He just happens to be the son of one of the feudal monarchs who now control this earth. Exciting read and well written.

Smallworld: A Science Fiction Adventure Comedy: Space Opera on Mount Ararat
Smallworld: A Science Fiction Adventure Comedy: Space Opera on Mount Ararat

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual but entertaining, 17 July 2013
A rambling series of episodes rather than a continuous story but I loved it. The characters are well formed and very funny and the entertainment comes from following their stories. I like the episodic nature of it and it lends itself well to bedtime reading when your likely to only read short bits. Reminds me of the humor of Douglas Adams or David Luddington with the quirky characters and comic situations that just draw you in deeper as they evolve. I'll certainly be looking out for more of his writing. Keep up the good work, the world needs more funny!

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Overblown but still good, 15 Feb. 2013
I read this years ago and only went back to it when it turned up on TV. The characters are great but there are just way too many of them I get confused! It;s mainstream fantasy and nothing that really pushes the genre.

SOULFIRE
SOULFIRE

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly unusual fantasy and worth a look if your looking for something different, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: SOULFIRE (Kindle Edition)
Soulfire is a passionate, exciting book which twists and turns. The characters are vivid, the story well plotted and the premise clever. There are loads of stories out there about twinned souls falling in love and saving the world, but this is the first time I've read something that brings some new ideas to the sub-genre. I wouldn't call it a romance, there is far too much adventure and fighting for that, but the central themes are about overcoming destiny and striving for a new world. The author has given these characters some wonderful language to play with and there are great ideas to come in following books I'm sure, that much is clear. I really enjoyed this and it's another author to follow who doesn't get bogged down in their own mythology!

Endless Tides
Endless Tides

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fantasy, a likable rogue of a hero and lots of battles, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Endless Tides (Kindle Edition)
Amongst many things, Captain Laike Skyheart is a swashbuckling, cocky, mostly drunk, but battle-hardened soldier in the Thieronian Empire. He is rumored to be the greatest swordsman alive, and his blade, Cendre, is part of a mythology which has endowed it with a magical essence. Endless Tides is departure from the classical fantasy genre. There is magic but it's not overbearing. It's almost urban fantasy but in a different world to this one, which is why I really like it. Captain Skyheart is a great anti-hero and when his life collides with Myri's and her adopted son Paccon, he begins to see hope and redemption for himself after his 'betrayal' of his kingdom. However, Leeves makes certain that the story never become predictable and I can be almost certain you won't see the end coming. It's a good book and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Murmurs In The Night
Murmurs In The Night

5.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative horror stories that actually kept me awake, 15 Feb. 2013
I love horror, that slight fear when you switch out the light to sleep that something is under the bed, really gives me a thrill. But I often lack the time necessary to dedicate myself to a full length novel, so I've been reading a lot of short stories and this collection works really well. It's stories are well paced, the characters accessible and the ideas instantly recognizable which is vital in a short story. It's a great collection. I can't think of one story I didn't like - Christmas Darks is my favorite though... Seriously disturbing!