Profile for Mr. C. Berg > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. Berg

Mr. C. Berg (suffolk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Jumbo LCD Radio Controlled Wall Clock with Temperature and Humidity display (New UK Version)
Offered by Youshiko

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to read from a distance, 20 Nov. 2015
extremely clear layout, easy to read from a distance. Stable when free standing, easy to hang up on a wall.. Highly recommended as it is sold at a reasonable priceexcellent value for money.

Tenko -  The Complete Series [DVD]
Tenko - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ann Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars I haven't read it, 17 July 2014
I bought it for my wife's birthday present

Schtonk! [Import allemand]
Schtonk! [Import allemand]
Offered by RAPIDisc

5.0 out of 5 stars SCHTONK! can besk be translated as "What a clanger!", 17 July 2014
This review is from: Schtonk! [Import allemand] (DVD)
I was one of the many people who instantly phoned the papers to point out that the Hitler Diaries were a fake. The Times printed a page of neat Germanic script, allegedly written in February 1945 by Hitler, which was impossible for him to do after Juy 20th 1944. He could only hold a pen like a paintbrush with his left hand guiding his right hand.

The film is about manufacturing all sorts of Nazi era fakes and is hilariously funny throughout. The subtitles are good but it really needs a reasonable knowledge of German to get the full effect. I wonder whether the late Lord Dacre, who was taken in by the diaries, ever saw this film....

Man in the Middle [DVD] [1963] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Man in the Middle [DVD] [1963] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

2.0 out of 5 stars THE FILM MISSES THE MAIN POINT., 17 July 2014
The main problem is the insane killer is given loads of dialogue to keep Keenan Wynn happy, presumably, whereas the whole point is that the character is practically catatonic and cannot defend himself. This makes his outburst at the end so effective in the book by Howard Fast. The occasional light-hearted dialogue, easing the tension, is missing. It is many years since I saw the film and I believe there must have been a British and re-shot American version to explain some of the oddities, like why switch the location of the story from Malaya to India? The book, The Winston Affair, is still very readable and the plot's main line that an American lieutenant shot a British sergeant for no good reason, so better hang him to satisfy the British, could happen today in any army.

RHS Chelsea Flower Show: A Centenary Celebration
RHS Chelsea Flower Show: A Centenary Celebration
by Brent Elliott

3.0 out of 5 stars as above, 17 April 2014
THis is a weakness in your ssystem. I often buy things from you as presents without readin or viewing them myself so there is no point in writing anything but I feel it is discourteous not to reply.

The Great Stink of London: Sir Joseph Bazalgette and the Cleansing of the Victorian Metropolis
by Stephen Halliday

To Kill A Mockingbird (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gregory Peck
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

3.0 out of 5 stars I haven't seen it yet, 17 April 2014
I've always meant to see it sometime so I have bought a copy to view at leisure but not my highest prority
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2014 6:23 PM BST

Clockwise [DVD]
Clockwise [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Cleese

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought it as a present for my wife., 17 April 2014
This review is from: Clockwise [DVD] (DVD)
She had seen it on TV and loved it. I saw it once years ago and thought the ending was embarrassingly awful to the point that I would never see it again. Up to that point it was very amusing, but switch off at the moment John Cleese arrives at his destination!

Dune (S.F. Masterworks)
Dune (S.F. Masterworks)
by Frank Herbert

5.0 out of 5 stars re-readable and how!, 17 April 2014
I'm not surprised it has turned out to be the all-time sf best-seller, but but a little surprised as some people have found it difficult to get into. I first read it back in the '60ies, having been impressed by the author's Dragon In The Sea much earlier (Q.V.) and I have lost count of the number of times I have re-read it.

My paperback copy (printed in1965) has finally disintegrated, so I bought a replacement copy and lashed out on a hardback as I am sure further rereading will be rewarding as I detect subtle nuances each time that I have missed or forgotten before.

Once you are into it the politics, religion, hardware, cultural clashes and sheer skill in portraying a culture thousands of years in the future without lecturing is overwhelming. The first time I read it I promptly reread it a week later!

Need I say more?