Profile for stilllearning > Reviews

Content by stilllearning

stilllearning

Chess: A Novel (Penguin Red Classics)
Chess: A Novel (Penguin Red Classics)
by Stefan Zweig
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 25 July 2011
This novella is Stefan Zweig at his very best. It is short but powerful and I doubt if anyone could fail to read it through in one sitting.

The story is simple yet compelling: two characters locked in a fierce battle, perfectly matched but entirely opposite in all respects and neither willing to yield in conflict. The short back story to each character brings them both to the table but only one can be victorious.

Clearly, more can be read into this novella than a mere chess match.

A great introduction to Stefan Zweig's genius.

The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time and the Texture of Reality (Penguin Celebrations)
by Brian Greene

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole cosmos in a book, 10 May 2011
This is a great book. If you want to learn more about the mysterious universe, from sub atomic physics to the wonders of the cosmos, then this is a good place to start. The pace is just right, at no time did I feel that I was being left behind and important points were repeated - often with varied examples and similies to emphasise the point. The scope was huge - from sub atomic physics right through to the entire universe - and what could be beyond. And it was all done without complex mathmatics or confusing jargon.

It was a book that I did not want to come to an end, I was so enthralled by the journey I was on.

I thoroughly recommend this book.

Accounts Demystified: The Astonishingly Simple Guide to Accounting
Accounts Demystified: The Astonishingly Simple Guide to Accounting
by Anthony Rice

4.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly accurate title, 5 July 2010
A very good and simple guide to accounting.

I have read other books on accounting and each time I get to the point when I realise that I will never understand what it's all about. Reading this book I suddenly realised that it's not accounting that's the deep and impenetrable mystery, it's the way that accounting is explained that causes the confusion.

If, like me, you are confused by the jargon and the peculiar way things seem to work back-to-front then this book will dispel all mystery.

My only gripe is common to all books on accounting that I have read, it tells you how to read other people's accounts but is light on how to go about producing your own.