Profile for Dave McNally > Reviews

Dave McNally

Haglofs Fanatic Print Cap Size M/L Black/Charcoal
Haglofs Fanatic Print Cap Size M/L Black/Charcoal

5.0 out of 5 stars it's a hat...., 25 Oct. 2013
best damn hat i own, warms your head the instant you pull it on... lost my first one, had to replace it immediately... pricey though...for a tube of microfibre... doesn't matter...it just so WARM...

Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 Ultra Small Form Factor Desktop PC - (Silver/Black) (Intel Core i3 2365M 1.4GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Q190 Core i3 - Small, Quiet, Perfect Media PC, 25 Oct. 2013
This computer is remarkably small, no larger than one of those external dvd players of a few years ago. It has all the ports you would need for a PC used as a media centre. The box contained a wired mouse and keyboard, which is not so useful, so they never even made it out of the box. Not so much of a problem for me since I already had a wireless keyboard and mouse ready to go.

very useful is the built in WLAN (which i noticed many similar products seem to offer as an option, not as standard!) the WLAN had no problem picking up my wifi signal, and performance is good, the limit seems to be my rather limited broadband performance rather than any issues with the WLAN hardware.

I bought it principally to connect to my projector for BBC iPlayer, Netflix, iTunes and general web browsing, and so far it does all of these things beautifully. Playback of HD streams even at 1080p is smooth and artifact free.

I tested the performance of the system with Google Earth, full screen.. flying over the Himalayas, again super smooth with no jerkiness of the detailed 3D terrain. I use Chrome as my standard web browser and with several content heavy tabs open the Q190 never showed any signs of slowing or stuttering.

One of the previous reviews mentioned the noise from the fan and whilst it does make some noise, I have to put my ear pretty close before i can hear it, the fan on the projector in any case is much louder than this unit. If you are using this as a media PC, I don't think fan noise will be a factor at all.

Of course this comes with Windows 8 installed, which may be an issue for some, but to be honest I don't mind it at all, learn a few keyboard shortcuts and all is well ( why do none of my friends and family know about the "windows" key!!) Setup was quick and painless, it does try to persuade you to set up a Microsoft account if you don't already have one, but it is possible to skip this step.

Some Lenovo bloatware installed, looks pretty innocuous, so no reason to uninstall it yet. Also McAfee antivirus is there, but of course you can dump this in preference for your favourite AV, I'm sticking with McAfee at least until it starts to nag me for payment :)

All in all a great little PC, you wont be running the latest 3D games on it, but if your needs are limited to simple media consumption and web browsing, I don't think you'll find better at this price (£300) (I did look at the Chillblast media PCs which are fantastic but expensive!)