Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Betty Haniotaki > Reviews

Content by Betty Haniotaki

Betty Haniotaki (Athens, Greece)

More Home Cooking: A Writer Returns to the Kitchen
More Home Cooking: A Writer Returns to the Kitchen
by Laurie Colwin

5.0 out of 5 stars More Home Cooking, 5 Oct. 2013
This is a wonderful book, a worthy follow-up to Laurie Colwin's previous book entitled 'Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen'. I noted the previous reviewer's comment about Americanisms - for your information, there are 4 sticks to the pound of butter in the US and 1 stick = approximately 115 grams or 4 ounces. I think the recipes are good for inspiration - most of them are not dependent on exact quantities. They may not be for the faint of heart, but all sound delicious. I meant to read the book slowly, savoring every word, but found myself rushing through it for sheer pleasure. It reminds me a little of Elizabeth David's early books - one on Mediterranean cooking says in the introduction that it was written as an antidote to post WW2 austerity in Britain, and is also sometimes rather vague on actual amounts and measurements.

I also strongly recommend Ms Colwin's previous book, 'Home Cooking'. It is fortunate that these two books have recently been re-issued and are available to us.

Make It Fast, Cook It Slow : The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking
Make It Fast, Cook It Slow : The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking
by Stephanie O'Dea

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow cooking as you never knew it, 15 Jan. 2013
This cookbook lives up to its title - most of the recipes can be prepared quite quickly and thrown into the slow cooker for as long as required. I was particularly pleased with the large number of recipes outside the usual pot roast, stews, beans, chicken, soups. For Christmas, for instance, I used my large pot for the dressing, the medium pot for keeping the mashed potatoes warm indefinitely, and the small pot for spinach dip. I also like the recommendations of Ms O'Dea for most of the recipes. I don't really like impersonal big fat cookbooks, but want some feedback. Recipes have an indication as to how to make them gluten-free, which is a feature that must be helpful to many people. If you are interested in making better use of your slow cooker(s), I can recommend this cookbook.

Longitude [DVD]
Longitude [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Gambon

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly engrossing, 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Longitude [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed the book very much, but was somewhat dubious as to how it would transfer to the silver screen. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the film moved seamlessly from the past to the modern day. Life on shipboard was sufficiently appalling and the visual impact I think was impressive, with billowing sails, bad weather, sweating sailors and so on. The machinations back at the Admiralty seemed very true to life as well.I would recommend this to anyone interested in the 18th century, seafaring, and the development of science.

Morphy Richards 48710 Oval Slow Cooker 3.5 L - Polished Stainless Steel
Morphy Richards 48710 Oval Slow Cooker 3.5 L - Polished Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow cooker heaven, 18 Jan. 2011
I have long owned and used a Morphy Richards 6.5 litre slow cooker,with which I have been very pleased. But when my family size went down to 3 persons, I found it too big for us, with too many leftovers. My daughter had lugged the first one from London to Athens with great difficulty, as the package was quite heavy and unwieldy. So I was delighted to find this 3.5 litre version available in Greece from Amazon. It works beautifully, as advertised, and I have used it many times, most recently at Christmas, as I was able to prepare the mashed potatoes early, pop them into the slow cooker, and serve them hot, including second helpings. The best thing is that the temperatures (hot, medium, low) serve all my needs, with hot to start out, medium as the normal cooking temperature, and low for keeping things warm. Unlike American slow cookers, this one does not cook too hot. It seems that Morphy Richards are more sensible than the American producers.

Ye Gods!: Travels in Greece
Ye Gods!: Travels in Greece
by Jill Dudley

4.0 out of 5 stars Ye Gods! - and little catfishes, 18 Jan. 2011
This book describes several visits to Greece by Jill Dudley, sometimes accompanied by her husband. She describes a number of places she visited in search of links between paganism and the Greek Orthodox Church. Written in a light-hearted and amusing style, this book is not intended as a travel guide to Greece, nor as a serious introduction to paganism vs Christianity, about which innumerable academic tomes have been written. As a person living in Greece, I appreciated being reminded of many places I have visited, and which I may now visit again. Others who have visited Greece may also enjoy it. There is a second volume entitled Ye Gods II! which visits other sites.

Betty Crocker Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today (Betty Crocker Books)
by Betty Crocker Editors
Edition: Plastic Comb

4.0 out of 5 stars Betty Crocker cookbook -, 18 Jan. 2011
I wanted to replace my falling apart paperback edition dated probably 1975. I read the blurb, which described this as 'the only cookbook you'll ever need' or some such thing. I was somewhat disappointed to find that although it seems very comprehensive at first glance, when I searched for recipes for specific vegetables that I wanted to fix somehow differently, there were in fact fewer than in my old-faithful tattered copy. On the positive, there is much more emphasis on international cuisine than in the old book, and these recipes look good. The book is very practical to use, as it has a comb binding, which allows it to lie flat, unlike the old one, which I used to shove under plates at each edge to keep my place. I'm sure I will make good use of this cookbook - it just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

The Bumper Book of Useless Information
The Bumper Book of Useless Information
by Noel Botham

5.0 out of 5 stars Bumper Book of Useless Information, 18 Jan. 2011
This was purchased as a gift for my son - he enjoys this kind of trivia and was quoting from it for what seemed like months! Unfortunately, since I don't keep very good records of gifts, I bought it for him no fewer than 3 times - once in hardcover, and twice in paperback. So now I have a copy of my own, and gave another one away. I haven't read mine yet - when I do I may be back.

Slow Cooker: Quick & Easy, Proven Recipes
Slow Cooker: Quick & Easy, Proven Recipes
by Gina Steer

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful slow cooker recipes, 12 Dec. 2010
This cookbook is a gorgeously produced book, with lovely colour photos opposite each recipe. The recipes look delicious, although I haven't yet made any of them, but I have read them all and drooled. The sidebars contain photos of various steps of each recipe, so you can see what it ought to look like.
I would have given this a five, except for two things. First, the photos often show clearly that the recipe has been put under the grill to make it more attractive (not an option with my slow cooker, which means that I would have to transfer the food to an oven-proof dish, and possibly another serving dish before serving) and second that most recipes call for pre-cooking for almost everything. I can understand that some things like meat or chicken may benefit from browning first, but these recipes generally call for adding all ingredients to a pot on the stove and heating to the boil before putting them in the slow cooker. This will of course reduce the amount of time in the slow cooker, but that is not the point of it. Most of us use the slow cooker to make our lives easier - putting on the slow cooker in the morning and returning in the evening to find the meal ready.
There are many ethnic recipes which look wonderful. However, I have a small quibble with the 'Quick and Easy' part of the title. Most of the recipes have many ingredients (some of them a little likely not to be found in my cupboards). On the up side, most of the ingredients are fresh or minimally processed. Many include rice, which I would not want to use in a slow cooker, as I am convinced that mush will be the result.
However, I love cookbooks like this, even if I never make a single recipe, and would recommend this to any other person with the same quirk. Happy salivating!

Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group)
Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group)
by D. E. Stevenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Pre-war charm, 1 April 2010
This book has been out of print for many years, although it can be found used for quite high prices. I found it very charming, both for the charm of the heroine (based on the life of the author) and the feeling of the pre-WW2 life of an army officer's wife. The book is a series of vignettes of the period, connected or isolated. The book was re-issued recently by Bloomsbury publishers. There are three more in the series - I hope they will all be reissued. One warning: the title varies from edition to edition. I recently bought an audio book entitled "Golden Days" which, although described as "unabridged" was in fact the second part of this book.

Rosemary Conley: Ultimate Whole Body Workout [VHS]
Rosemary Conley: Ultimate Whole Body Workout [VHS]
VHS
Offered by rdowns33

5.0 out of 5 stars Exercise for those who don't like to exercise, 14 Oct. 2003
When I started a serious effort to lose weight and get more fit, I tried walking as exercise, but found it entirely too easy to avoid doing it. Either it was too cold, or dark, or windy, or raining or snowing: any excuse would do. I then bought several exercise video tapes - this one was the one that suited me best. I followed it as suggested - alternating the aerobic section with the conditioning section - for 5 days a week, and then walking on weekends. The music is catchy, the patter is informative without being irritating, and best of all, the team members are real people who have lost weight and shaped up. The exercises are within most people's capability but challenging enough because of the different levels. I was able to continue with this tape for 6 months without being bored, although I am the original couch potato. I recommend it highly, especially to those who don't really enjoy working out.