Profile for Coincidence Vs Fate > Reviews

Content by Coincidence Vs...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 385

Coincidence Vs Fate
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sony WXGT90BT. EUR 2-DIN Bluetooth Car Radio with App Remote Feature for Smart Phone CD Player / AUX-IN / USB

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Headunit But Fiddly Menu System, 28 May 2015
The CD player in my ten-year-old Fiat Panda gave up the ghost recently. I was initially going to get a replacement off a well-known auction site, but many of the players were listed as "code unknown" which meant I wouldn't be able to use them anyway!

I decided after a bit of research to go for this particular Sony model as it offered everything I wanted; Bluetooth, USB, and of course the CD player. The price was competitive too. Even before the demise of factory unit in the Fiat I had become frustrated at the lack of Bluetooth in particular as sometimes listening to the same few CDs in the car was annoying, particularly when I had a world of music sitting there on my Smartphone.
So having decided on the model I then had to decide whether to install myself or not. Now, I'm not very good with cars - I know how to put petrol in and that's it - but having looked at various forums I thought "what the heck" and decided to tackle the installation myself. However, although the unit the was delivered next day thanks to Prime, I did have to wait several days as I had ordered a fascia kit from that well-known auction site I mentioned at the beginning of the review.

Installation was pretty smooth. After removing the old unit I firstly placed the third-party fascia in place and secured with the provided screws. I then placed the cage supplied with the Sony headunit into the recess and secured using screws and bending back the tabs on the cage. I was lucky with my Panda as I didn't have to buy a wire harness as the Sony has the same ISO connectors as those already in my car so it was a simple case of just plugging the Sony directly into the Panda connectors. I did have to use an adaptor for my aerial but that was supplied with the third-party fascia. The headunit then slotted and locked into the cage. Lastly I placed the black surround (in the box with the Sony) onto the HU. Job done.

So although installation was fine I did actually have to read the quite sizeable instruction manual to set up the headunit to my tastes. The first job was to stop the awful "demo mode" displaying the rainbow of colours. Although the bumf states you have 35000 options I chose one of the standard colours; orange which more or less matches the lights on my Panda. But, let's face it a ten year old Panda is hardly Concord so there wasn't a lot to match to!

The unit itself sounds very good even using the factory installed speakers, although it took me ages of fiddling around to get the sound as I wanted. It doesn't help that the menu system is really fiddly and not particularly user-friendly. Don't get me wrong, once you have the unit set up it's fantastic, but it takes time getting there and can be a little soul destroying.

I downloaded the app - App Remote - for my Samsung and my aging iPod Touch and it works well. It is particularly nice to be able to stream from TuneIn Radio so I can listen to old episodes of BBC comedies, etc whilst driving around. When connecting via Bluetooth your phone will find the unit and display as Sony Automotive.

I also tested streaming from Spotify, Amazon Music and Google Play Music and again all worked fine through the app. I have attached some screenshots of the app with this review. Plugging in my iPod Touch to the USB unit also worked a treat. Playing music from a USB stick is a little fiddly as you have to jump between directories/folders but this would be true with most units such as this. Again though, it's worth the effort and music streams without any issue from a USB stick. Worth noting though that I did plug in a 250GB portable hard drive which wasn't recognised, but a 64GB stick was.

Radio was fine as was calling using Bluetooth. The only issue I had was placing the supplied microphone, but after a bit of fiddling about I managed to site that so my voice is clear and loud enough for those I'm talking to.

Worth noting that as I'm lucky enough to have unlimited data on my mobile I can - in theory - stream as much content as I want. That's worth noting if you want to stream Spotify, Amazon Music, etc from your mobile or tablet.

All-in-all I'm really pleased with this unit. Installation was simple. The only drawback to this headunit is the menu system which can be a little frustrating, but ultimately it's worth the hassle.

Highly recommended.

High Five
High Five

5.0 out of 5 stars Melodic Sunshine, 18 May 2015
This review is from: High Five (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite Summer albums. Hell, it's one of my favourite Spring, Autumn and Winter ones too.

High Five is chock-full, yes, chock-full of catchy three minute pop ditties in the vein of not surprisingly Teenage Fanclub, Big Star, CS&N, Buffalo Springfield, etc. However, it is unfair just to label them as sounding like other bands as they have their own unique sound. The production is clean and sparkly and those harmonies, melodies and choruses drive you mad for weeks. Let's face it if you haven't bought this already then you probably aren't likely to but if you just happen to land on this page and read this review, then please buy it, you won't regret it. That's a promise.

Fantastic

Power Bank, GMYLE® 2500mAh Ultra-Thin Wallet Sized Portable USB External Battery Charger w/ Built-in Lightning & Micro USB Cable for USB-Charged Devices (Black)
Offered by Clever Gadgets

4.0 out of 5 stars Small, Light, Neat, 18 May 2015
I have a few of these kind of batteries, all of varying power and sizes and this is the smallest I have tried, both in physical size and battery capacity. On long days out I tend to take one of the battery packs with me to keep my phone topped up but the problem is some of them are quite heavy, although they will charge my phone several times if needed.

This Gmyle Power Bank has quite a small capacity of 2500 mAh which would recharge my phone to full capacity once if I was lucky. The plus point for this device though is its incredibly small size, a little thicker than a credit card and very light. It's easy to slip into your pocket or backpack ready and available when needed.

The charging cable is hard wired into the unit. This is OK but the lead is very short which is a pain. I would rather have had an external option, if I am honest. However, it charges well. There is also a lightning adapter which would charge an iPhone 5/6 if you had such a phone.

All in all a great device which just a couple of niggles such as the built in cable, but it's light and does what it should, so I can't be too critical.

This item was kindly sent to me by the manufacturer for an honest appraisal and review.

Aukey Bluetooth 4.1 Wireless Stereo Portable Mini Lightweight In-Ear Headphones for Jogging, Running, Sports, Gym, Workout with AptX®, Hands-free MIC for iPhone and Android Smartphones and Tablets (EP-B4, Black and Green)
Offered by AukeyDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality, 18 May 2015
Although these are listed as “sports” headphones I don’t intend to use them whilst exercising, etc. I tend to be away from my desk a lot out and about for work so I use headphones quite a bit and have tried quite a variety over the last year or so.

These Aukey phones are up there with the best of them. They are light – incredibly so – and the lime green colour isn’t as off putting as I imagined! The earpieces fit nice and comfortably (after a little fiddling) and the sound (voice calls) quality is pretty outstanding for such small and relatively cheap headphones. Music quality isn't as good but I don't intend to use these for listening to music so not an issue for me.

As someone else pointed out the only real disappointment is the battery life which is around four hours – I got around 3.5 when I tested them – so I would have to take others with me as they obviously wouldn’t last a day.

However, despite that small niggle (and something that affects me personally as many do use these for a couple of hours exercise) I am really pleased with them and think they are certainly a five star product.

These headphones were sent to me by the manufacturer for an honest review and appraisal.

5.3" Smart, Simple and Silent LED Alarm Clock w/ Date Display, Repeating Snooze and Sensor Light + Night Light (Black, White night light)
Offered by cerl-tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Clock, 14 May 2015
We wanted a digital wall clock for our sons bedroom as he is just stating to be able to tell the time. He has got an analogue clock but he also wanted a digital 24 hour clock too. I didn't realise how horrendously expensive digital wall clocks were, so we decided to get this from Amazon as it was less than a fiver. The other reason we got it was because it was battery operated and didn't need a power point.

The item was delivered quickly and arrived well packed. The clock itself is smallish and attractive enough. You need three triple A batteries which aren't supplied but luckily we have a ton if Ikea ones so it was soon up and running. There are fairly good instructions but looking at the back of the clock it seemed simple enough to set up. I have taken some photos of the back of the clock so you can see the setup process for yourself. It is very straightforward.

The clock seems to keep good time and those cheapo Ikea batteries are still going strong. You have the option to turn on the sensor so you get a soft "glow" at night. This is ideal as you can see the clock quite well without an overpowering light that keeps you awake with some clocks. There is a large snooze/light button on the top. We don't use the alarm (or snooze) so this button can be used to light the face up.

The clock also displays date (though in the American month/day format) and the temperature, which is handy.

All in all I think this clock is fantastic value at under a fiver. I would certainly recommend.

The pictures show the clock after the light has been pressed, the settings on the rear of the clock, the snooze/light button and the soft glow of the clock in the dark, although in reality it looks better than on the photo.
Comment Comment | Permalink

SOLEMEMO Outdoors Sport Portable Shower Speaker with 12 hour Playtime - Rugged Splashproof Water Resistant IPX-5 Shockproof Dustproof NFC Bluetooth Wireless Speaker Support Mic Hands Free for Phone Calling(H 2.8 x W 2.3 x L 6.7 inches)
Offered by Solememo

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, Rugged, Great Sound, 11 May 2015
The SOLEMEMO SE90 is a fantastic little speaker. Considering the relatively small cost of the item the sound is pretty impressive.

First impressions on taking out of the box are not too good as to be fair it's not the most attractive speaker around. The colour also takes a little getting used to. However, the SOLEMEMO SE90 isn't really there to win any design awards, it's there to be a practical, no-nonsense rugged speaker and it gets five stars on that score.

We tested out for the first time yesterday in the park when we had a picnic. Because of it's build - and cost - I was less inclined to wrap it carefully before putting it in my backpack. My phone paired within seconds and music was streaming before we've even unscrewed the lid from the flask! My son - who is Mr Clumsy - managed to spill most of a glass of Ribena on it, but it still kept playing and a quick wipe ensured it wouldn't be sticky for the rest of the afternoon. It also got knocked with our football, but again, it just kept on doing it's thing.

I am really impressed with the SOLEMEMO SE90. No, it doesn't look the best, but it is a tough, no-nonsense good sounding speaker and comes highly recommended. For this price, you really can't go wrong.

[Apple MFI Certified] Mpow® 8-Pin Lightning to USB Cable Cord 3.3 Feet(1 Meters) for iPhone 6 Plus / 6 / 5s / 5c / 5 / iPad Air / iPad mini / mini 2 / iPad 4th generation and iPod nano 7th generation
Offered by Patuoxun

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cable, 5 May 2015
When it comes to purchasing replacement/additional cables for Apple products you can see from doing a simple search on Amazon or Ebay what a minefield it is. I tend to go for the genuine Apple products, which despite costing me an arm and a leg, mean I can have some piece of mind that my works Air won't get fried.

This lightning cable is certified which means it will Sync and Charge. I've been using it as an additional cable now for a week or so both in the Office and in my car and I have been mightily impressed. It's a good length which means my son can look at the Air while he's in the passenger seat. It is well made, does not look/feel cheap and it a perfect fit. In fact, if I didn't know it was a third party product then I would probably consider it a "genuine" Apple item.

Out of the many cables I've tried over the years, this is certainly one of the best and at its current price a steal. Highly recommended.

This item was sent to me by the manufacturer and I have given it an honest appraisal and review.

Patuoxun® Magnetic 3in1 Fisheye Lens+Wide Angle+Micro Lens Photo Kit for iPhone 5 5S 5C, iPhone 4 4S, iPad, Galaxy S2 S3 S4, HTC One M7-Black
Offered by Patuoxun

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Lenses, 2 May 2015
I don't bother taking a camera out with me very often. When my family and I are out and about we find the point-and-shoot ability of a phone camera to be perfect for most occasions. We go to National Trust properties quite a lot and my wife likes to take pictures of the flowers, etc. Some of the shots with a phone leave a little to be desired so that's where these Patuoxun lenses come in. You get two lenses in this pack, a fish eye lens which is good fun to use and a macro lens which we've used for taking close ups of some of the flowers we've seen. They have both performed brilliantly.

In the pack you get the two lens complete with lens' covers and a set of magnetic rings with peel-off adhesive backing. Simply just peel off the backing and stick the metal ring around your camera on your phone. The lenses are magnetic so simply stick to the metal ring on your phone. They're easy to mount and a doddle to use. For the price they are a brilliant addition to anyone who wants to take something a little different with their camera phone.

Great value.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Becko Totes Light Lady's Clear & Black Elegant Bubble Golf Umbrella (Clear)
Becko Totes Light Lady's Clear & Black Elegant Bubble Golf Umbrella (Clear)
Offered by Eguo

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and Well Made, 1 May 2015
This Becko Totes clear and black umbrella is a great product. The handle is hard black plastic and seems very sturdy and is comfortable to hold. The clear PVC plastic also seems quick thick and though and I imagine it will last a long time.

This umbrella has been perfect when used. Because of the dome shape you can stick your head right inside and see where you're going. None of the "lifting" it high above your head if you happen to be talking past someone or something.

Although this product is listed as a "lady's" umbrella I was quite happy to use it and my son love's it as he can get right inside and remain dry whilst being able to see where he's going.

Stylish and well-made.

This item was sent to me by the manufacturer for an honest review and appraisal.

Panasonic ALL1 Network Audio Connector
Panasonic ALL1 Network Audio Connector

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Streaming Device, 29 April 2015
The All1 isn't a speaker, it a small (quite small) box of tricks that allows you to stream content from Spotify, your network, tablet/phone, etc through the box and through your existing Wifi - as long as it has got an Aux or input socket - most Hifi's have. I have connected my Pioneer H-XM72 to the unit with a digital optical cable and it sounds fantastic.

The unit itself is very light and very small, surprisingly so. It's easy enough to connect to your network either via LAN or WiFi which I guess most people will do. Plug the unit in, turn it on and wait for the lights to stop blinking between blue and red. It broadcasts its own WiFi signal connect to it using your phone/tablet and follow the easy steps with the Panasonic setup page. I already have an All8 and All3 so knew how to do this part, but the Panasonic landing page wouldn't appear on my phone's browser, so I typed it in myself manually, It was then pretty easy to name the unit, I changed it to All1. It will then do a firmware update and within five minutes you should be ready to stream. After you have downloaded the apps you need; Panasonic Music Stream, All Play Jukebox and All Play Radio. They are the three important ones.

The Panasonic app is pretty poor, looks shocking. However, you do need it if you want to change the EQ as the Appl Play apps won't let you change anything like that. You can also rename your All1 or All8/All3 speakers if you have them. The All Play Jukebox app lets you stream music from your network; your phone, tablet, laptop, itunes library, NAS devices, etc. The All Play Radio is a branded version of In Tune Radio so works pretty well. There are several other apps you can get, SOMA FM, Astro Player, Double Twist, etc. I have attached some screen shots of the various apps.

The Panasonic and All Play apps let you choose your "player", so the All1 or the All3/All8 if you have them available; or all at once if you wish. I tested this just playing through my HiFi and then through the All8 and All3 speakers which are in different parts of the house; sounded great. So, to recap, you can stream from your phone through the All1 attached to your HiFi so you get a good sound through your speakers. The All1 won't allow you to stream to any other ALL device. So you can't play a CD and stream through All8/All3 speakers, which is a shame.

So, set up was fairly straight forward as was downloading the apps. In use, the All1 is simple to use. Once you choose what app you are going to use, the All1 turns itself on, though you do have to remember to turn your HiFi on too. It will obviously also stream from Spotify, Napster, etc. You can stream from Google Play music although you have to use Bubble uPnP or another similar network app.

The sound is obviously dictated by your existing stereo, but the beauty of the All1 is that it will work with anything: a HiFi, bluetooth speaker, etc just as long as there is an Aux or optical port. It also works with the standard white/red audio cables. Again, a lot of HiFi units have those connectors on the rear. I do recommend an optical input though, particularly if you're streaming FLAC files; really does sound great.

Connectivity is excellent and I haven't experienced any drop outs. As I mentioned my stereo is a Pioneer X-HM72 which is a network player anyway, but I don't use it for streaming as it constantly drops connection and I experience a lot of "stuttering" when playing files and streaming from Spotify. No such problem with the All1.

The screen shots below are taken from various apps, the first few are from the Panasonic apps and show me setting up the device and choosing speakers. There are also screen shots from the All Play apps, Soma FM and Astro Player. There are also some screenshots of Bubble uPnP streaming from Google Music.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20