Profile for yehah > Reviews

yehah "bookeater" (Belgium)

Not Tonight, Josephine: A Road Trip Through Small-Town America
Not Tonight, Josephine: A Road Trip Through Small-Town America

3.0 out of 5 stars like a nice warm cuddle, 26 Oct. 2016
I've read all his books. Nice undemanding entertainment. Some of the content overlaps with BB. Also good price . Well done.

My Story
My Story

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what to make of this, 25 Aug. 2016
This review is from: My Story (Kindle Edition)
This book kept my interest but I didn't really enjoy it. I was fed up of reading about privileged men and their experiences of life and sex. I was always wanting to know what the women were thinking. This book goes a little way to tell you what a woman is thinking. However I was confused about the relationship between the author and her husband. She swings from loving him, being abused, having a sort of open arrangement, needing him but never really engaging with him. Maybe the author wasn't sure herself. Her marriage was arranged when she was 15. Her family's choice of husband certainly didn't take into consideration her emotional well being and says as such in the book. Her family was loving to her but they didn't ensure she was marrying someone even vaguely decent. I don't quite believe this part. I guess if they had picked a better man she wouldn't written about it. For you need discord to be a writer.
Ok, I will accept the disastrous wedding and subsequent selfish sex from her husband, I've read this stuff before. I was hoping that finally she might have some fulfilling sexual experiences that I might identify with. She has some extra marital affairs but I didn't feel passion, I certainly didn't fancy any of her choices of partner. I didn't really see the point. Her affairs seemed to be just as unfulfilling as her marriage. I am not very sure whether to trust her as a writer. Maybe most of it was made up, that's ok but I have to believe in the feeling.

In addition, there was an awful lot of sickness in the book particularly experienced by her and her eldest son. At the end of the book she muses on how she is less attractive to men because of her age. She wasn't even 40 when was writing!

Finally she is a good writer but despite hardships she came from a well to family with umpteen servants running around. She appears to have mooched around, sighed a bit on her charpoy, played with her kids a bit, locked herself away in a room to write, thought half heartedly about affairs, got really sick and took frequent breaks to be massaged with fragrant oils by her obliging staff.

After all this endeavour she becomes celebrated as a writer develops a social conscience regarding "the poor" and tries to do something about it. She seems overly preoccupied with hoteliers being the solution.

René (French Edition)
René (French Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Rene revisited after 31 years, 5 Aug. 2016
This was a set text when I was studying French literature in 1985. There was no translation available but somehow I managed to obtain one. Now, as I failed to do 31 years ago, I have read it in the original . It was well worth it.

A Snid Of Milk
A Snid Of Milk

3.0 out of 5 stars Now an authentic review, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: A Snid Of Milk (Kindle Edition)
This is a pleasant diverting read. Gary is writing from a liverpool perspective which makes a refreshing change. Some of it is very funny but it is obvious he has written some of his own reviews. I forgive him, you've got to get the ball rolling.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2013 12:54 PM GMT

The Beck Diet Solution: Train your brain to think like a thin person
The Beck Diet Solution: Train your brain to think like a thin person

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy companion piece to followers of WW, 5 Jun. 2013
I had been going to ww for 2 years and needed something for the final push. I made target and I am using Beck to maintain weightloss. This is a very sensible and reassuring book.

1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off: Fixed Format Layout
1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off: Fixed Format Layout

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for putting you to sleep, 12 Dec. 2012
If you want a light read to settle you down for a good night's rest, buy this book. The price is very reasonable. Try to ignore the entries that appear to rely on negative stereotypes and you will have fun.

Ocean Boulevard - Adventures On The High Seas: An Epic and Exhilarating Journey All the Way... from a Boy to a Man (Baboulene's Travels Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun, 10 Mar. 2012
This was a nice lighthearted read. It's a pity that the relationships between men and women were so full of misunderstandings. The sex is very coy and without the gory details. No gay characters on board...really? Noone got a std...come come this was the 70's. Never mind the french resto scene was worthy Bryson himself.

Travels with a Typewriter: A Reporter at Large
Travels with a Typewriter: A Reporter at Large
by Michael Frayn

3.0 out of 5 stars He shouldn't have bothered, 13 Jan. 2010
I heard the author interviewed on the radio and was keen to buy the book based on the radio show. I was rather disappointed, the articles are hopelessly out of date and I feel it was a bit of a missed opportunity.

Many of the articles were written a long time ago and while there is certainly an interest in reading about the perspectives of for example, Notting Hill when it was just starting to become gentifried and what St Tropez was like in the 1960's. A little introduction by the author before each article and perhaps a retrospective of what had changed since the article was written would have helped but the simple matter is that they are not that entertaining in the first place and rather dry.

The whole book has the feeling that it was an idea of the publishers to dredge up old articles and put them together in a book like the literary equivalent of a compilation album of a well-known groups less well known (for good reason) songs.

However I still admire Michael Frayn and wish him well but I feel he shouldn't have been talked into this.