Profile for Mr. M. Thristan > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. Thristan

Mr. M. Thristan (hingham, ma)

Specification by Example: How Successful Teams Deliver the Right Software
Specification by Example: How Successful Teams Deliver the Right Software
by Gojko Adzic

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, straightforward and practical, 27 Oct. 2011
This book is great.
While as other reviewers have noted, it does not say anything "new" from a technical perspective, this is a great "glue it together" book, which focuses on bringing together the ideas of continuous integration while developing, and starting with example-based acceptance test driven stories and requirements to drive customer value and success in projects.
This is not a technical book, and reads simply and straightforwardly. To be honest, to such a point, that at the beginning, I was saying to myself "So what? I know all this" - but the great joy of the book is that it leads by example by using examples (case studies) to explain how to go about making the idea of continuously developed specification and test harnesses actually take root and flower within an organisation. As with all great user stories, it gives you the context and the criteria to prove success.
I would recommend reading this book with "Test Driven" (also Manning) and "the RSpec Book" (Pragmatic) to complete out a full, detailed view - and probably also recommend reading it with a decent requirements book (Wiegers), and a decent agile methodology book if you are starting out, as these will help you to flesh out the ideas within (maybe even "the Secret Ninja Cucumber Scrolls" for a Cucumber approach (wink)).
If I have but one criticism, it is that I do not recall an example for my situation - trying to influence multiple development suppliers to take on this approach (i.e. delivering to a central corporate client managing application delivery and support). Maybe the next update will contain this...
If I have but one piece of praise to single out, it is that I used the book just yesterday to talk about using some of the ideas contained within to improve reliability on a legacy system. I think "I use it" is the highest piece of praise you can give to such a book.