Profile for MarkBournemouth > Reviews

Content by MarkBournemouth

MarkBournemouth "MarkBournemouth" (Bournemouth, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
MAPED SATELLITE SOLID METAL SINGLE HOLE PENCIL SHARPENER - BLACK
MAPED SATELLITE SOLID METAL SINGLE HOLE PENCIL SHARPENER - BLACK
Offered by Bargain Gateway

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay for the job........., 18 April 2016
I'm a freelance illustrator and purchased one of these a while ago. It does the job, but I have used better. There are two drawbacks that I've found. Firstly, the design. Different, yes, and it looks nice. But it's ogival in cross section which means it can be hard to grip, especially when sharpening. The other problem that I have found is that it, well mine anyways, seems to sharped pencils to a fluted point rather than a tapered point. That can be annoying as the tip can easily break, leading to more sharpening. Would I buy another? Possibly not, as I'd stick to a more conventional design.

Staedtler Mars Lead Pointer Tub - Sharpener For 2mm Pencil Leads
Staedtler Mars Lead Pointer Tub - Sharpener For 2mm Pencil Leads

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, and long lasting., 14 April 2016
I bought one of these over twenty years ago, and even with regular use it's still going strong. That said, mine was made in Germany, so not sure if current ones are now made in China, and if so, whether they would last the same length of time as mine.

Invicta Specialty Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Chronograph Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet 6413

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy quality, 9 April 2016

Since then, the stop watch has, well, stopped and won't work. Then the sweep hand gave up the ghost and is stuck between the 5 and 6. Now the day hand is stuck on Thursday and refuses to budge. The only parts that are still working are the date and the fact that it still tells me the time. The strap literally came apart the other day whilst it was on my arm.

Then it started to lose time; 15mins over 6 hours(?). Now it's started gaining time. This thing's got a mind of its own. And my wife paid over £200 for this.

I'm pretty sure it's not a fake as I have checked various sites for advice. All the metalwork stampings are there with no misalignment or misspellings (a definite sign of a fake). Also it came in the correct yellow box, with all embossed logos present, plus I have the paperwork.

Okay, a £200 Invicta watch is going to be nowhere near the quality of a £2000 Rolex, but I once had a £14.99 Lorus that worked better than this thing. It says 'Swiss Parts' on the back plate, so I would at least expect some sort of Swiss watch quality. Finding an Invicta repair centre in the UK is like trying to nail jelly to a wall. Those I have found, you have to take the watch in personally, and as my nearest one is in London, it'd cost me more than the repair would cost just to get there. All of my local jewellers won't touch it and have advised me to return it to Invicta in Florida. Would I ever get it back?

Think I'll go for a Seiko or Citizen for my next watch. The only upside of this is that the watch is quite weighty, so if I ever get mugged, I will at least have something to whack the mugger with.

Invicta Specialty Men's Quartz Watch with Blue Dial  Chronograph display on Multicolour Stainless Steel Bracelet 6408
Invicta Specialty Men's Quartz Watch with Blue Dial Chronograph display on Multicolour Stainless Steel Bracelet 6408

1.0 out of 5 stars Would have expected more from a watch claiming 'Swiss' movement and parts, 9 April 2016
My wife bought me one of these a couple of years back. Looked great and I was very pleased. Since then, the stop watch has, well, stopped and won't work. Then the sweep hand gave up the ghost and is stuck between the 5 and 6. Now the day hand is stuck on Thursday and refuses to budge. The only parts that are still working are the date and the fact that it still tells me the time. Then to cap it all, the strap literally came apart the other day whilst it was on my arm. My wife paid over £200 for this. Okay, a £200 Invicta watch is going to be nowhere near the quality of a £2000 Rolex, but I once had a £14.99 Lorus that worked better than this thing. It says 'Swiss movement', so I would at least expect some sort of Swiss watch quality. I'll go for a Seiko or Citizen for my next watch. The upside of this is that the watch is quite weighty, so if I ever get mugged, I will at least have something to whack the mugger with.

Update (as of April 13th 2016)- Watch completely gave up the ghost this morning (and so have I).

TDK T19444 16x DVD+R 50 Piece Cakebox
TDK T19444 16x DVD+R 50 Piece Cakebox
Offered by STARLIGHT LIGHTING

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect apart from one word of caution......., 28 Dec. 2015
that applies to me at least.

There's not a lot you can write in a review about digital media apart from whether or not the product did the job it is meant to. I use DVD's for data storage, mainly Photoshop, Illustrator or Camera Raw files. Well, from personal experience, I have found that these are fine for saving Photoshop (.ps), Illustrator (.ai), or any other format, apart from Camera Raw (.CR2).

At first, I thought my Apple Superdrive had gone u/s, when, trying to save a folder with images to .CR2 format, the screen threw up a message saying "The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media." I have to admit, I had always been using DVD-R for Camera Raw stuff, but figured that +R would also be fine.

Working logically, I went for the cheaper option first of buying a small pack of DVD-R, to check if the problem lay in the discs and not the Superdrive.

Fortunately .CR2 files burn to the -R format discs, so I'll save the +R discs for non-RAW files. You live and learn.

T-28 - T-35 Foto Album - Russian Tanks
T-28 - T-35 Foto Album - Russian Tanks
by Waldemar Trojca

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither here nor there., 10 Oct. 2015
It's certainly different. Forty one pages with literally one or two photographs on each page. Unfortunately, there are no captions at all, not even a brief history of the T-28/T-35. In fact, the only caption for each photo basically says 'Foto 1, 'Foto 2', etc.

Dealing with the photographs themselves. Most can be found online or in other publications, but that can be excused because photographs of these vehicles aren't exactly in abundance. However, there are one or two shots that I haven't seen before. Some are clear, but some have obviously been enlarged from negatives or scanned from existing (small) photographs. As a result, the quality does suffer on one or two.

The book could have been so much more and would have been enhanced with variant line artwork and profile artwork. The author should have contacted me ( ;) ) , as I specialise in military illustration. The inclusion of captions, a history and explanatory artwork would have made this a killer book.

My intention is not to be harsh. If you want an overall photographic only study, then it's fine. If you want something more in depth, then it may not be the book for you. As a complimentary book on the T-28/35, it's worth having on the bookshelf.

3 x Membrane Screen Protectors for Canon EOS 1200D (Rebel T5) - Crystal Clear (Glossy), Retail Package, Installation Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin for a very reasonable price., 26 Aug. 2015
If like me, you are one of those people who hates smudges and dust on your camera back screen, these are highly recommended. Application is very straightforward, but it pays to do a dummy run in your head first abiding by the application instruction, which is merely a sticker on each side of the membrane. Once you've got that sussed, the membrane adheres very well, but make sure your screen is completely smudge and dust free first. The kit comes with a nice little polishing cloth and dust and membrane lifting stickers should you need to reposition. In all, a great product and worth it to avoid potentially scratching your DSLR screen. Although these fit my EOS 1200d perfectly, be aware that they may not be suitable for all Canon EOS cameras, as they are slightly too large for the screen on my EOS 400d.

Gemtune Telephoto lens support for long big lens SUNWAYFOTO RRS,Benro,Kirk,Markins,Arca compatible

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended piece of gear., 14 Aug. 2015
Bought this to mount my Canon DSLR's and 300/500mm lenses on my tripod. Haven't tried it yet, but it's a great piece of kit. Well made and of mainly metal construction, so nice and solid. It will work equally well with shorter lenses too if necessary as it's fully adjustable in both horizontal and vertical axis. Spirit levels all round ensure that everything is kept nice and straight.

Canon PIXMA MG5650 All-in-One Wi-Fi Printer - Black
Canon PIXMA MG5650 All-in-One Wi-Fi Printer - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money., 30 Jun. 2015
Bought this when my old Pixma (which behaved flawlessly) gave up the ghost. Despite the guy in PC World recommending it to me and various online reviews siting it as a 'best buy', it's proved to be anything but with me.

Cons.......

1. If I go into advanced settings and try to specify the unit to scan a certain area, it throws a complete wobbly and throws up a "cannot complete your request because of an internal error" box. To clear it, I have to force quit the printer and restart. The only way around this is to sit over the unit and scan everything manually from there.

2. Even on 'quiet mode' this thing is noisy. I mean, it seems no different in 'quiet mode' or normal. What is the point then of 'quiet mode'? It doesn't seems to fit any purpose. It's big, heavy and clunky.

3. It takes over a minute to go through its cleaning cycle, which it does frequently, and nearly two minutes before I can even start printing (I've timed it). This is beyond annoying, especially when it's making a hell of a racket at the same time.

4. The paper feed has now developed a problem in that it won't take the paper, and keeps telling me it's empty when it's not. I have to remove the paper (or the tray) and re-insert. The paper tray supposedly takes up to 100 sheets, yet to get it to work, I can only have a maximum of about five in there.

5. Canon. What the hell is the point of that 'My Image Garden' software that is installed when I set it up? I don't want it or would at least like to have the option of not installing it. It's needlessly complicated to use. Somebody at Canon may have thought it would be a terribly 'right on' idea, but it's plain irritating.

6. I cannot even specify where I want an image to be saved to, i.e. my desktop. Despite me setting it (time and again) to scan to my desktop or a specified folder, it ignores what I say and keeps scanning to 'My Image Garden'. I don't want to have to go searching through my system to find out where it's saved it to. Apple are bad enough with all their pointless and gimmicky installed apps (e.g. the new 'Photos' app on 10.10.3), but it seems Canon are now vying for that position too.

Pro's........

I'm still trying to find one.

My old Pixma cost a fraction of the price this thing cost, and it never missed a beat for four years until the paper feed spring finally broke. I'm returning it to PC World next week under warranty, and if this is what Canon are now churning out, I'll go elsewhere (and I thought HP were bad!)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2015 3:29 PM GMT

Kodak KCL-4 Small Camera Bag - Graphite Black
Kodak KCL-4 Small Camera Bag - Graphite Black

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay but thought it would be a little more spacious., 19 Mar. 2015
I bought this for my girlfriend's DX7590 as it was specified as being made for that camera. Be aware, ONLY the camera will fit and even then it's extremely tight. If you've any additional accessories such as a lens hood, that will not fit in the bag. the finish is good, but unfortunately the zip on mine was defective.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4