Profile for Manoerwar > Reviews

High Voltage Festival 2010
High Voltage Festival 2010
Offered by samurai media

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back for the last time…who knew it!, 22 Mar. 2016
I was at the high voltage festival in 2010 at Victoria Park and purchased the original set of CDs which were pressed on-site and collected after the show, not the finest recording but definitely one for the ELP nut which I am…….so to this remastered version. The restoring and remastering (with additional sound) has been thoughtfully done and the enhancements are not intrusive and not too obvious, I have listened carefully to and from work over the last 2 days and it's ok. The show itself on the night was beset by some keyboard and feedback issues, these have been ironed out and all in all the 2 CDs are playable and it does captured the excitement of the crowd as this historic event for Prog and ELP fans. Carl and Greg held it together and Keith had his moments but was not exactly at his best. The set is: Karn Evil Impression, Barbarian, Bitches Crystal, Knife Edge, From the Beginning, Touch and Go, Take a Pebble-piano-Tarkus, Farewell to Arms, Lucky Man, Pictures, Fanfare etc., Just going through it makes me smile. So OK it is not the best live show but it is the best piece of history of this once great band's last ever gig together.
Finally it is a bit pricey but to me it was worth it and so is the 5 star review for which no doubt i'll cop some flack.

Live In Boston 1988
Live In Boston 1988
Offered by skyvo-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Should have remained "standing in the Shadows", 14 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Live In Boston 1988 (Audio CD)
I am not sure what version the reviewers on Amazon.com were listening to. This is dreadful, crowd noise to the fore, band not tight for most of the tracks, a couple of potential brightish moments on the ELP numbers and America, most of the 3 numbers mediocre with the odd bright section in Deste la Vita and a truly truly dreadful "Standing in the Shadows of love" OMG, Levi Stubbs where are you. Try as I might, as an absolute ELP diehard and forgiver of some of the sub-standard live stuff produced in the past, I just can't defend the overall quality of this release. I can't even give it credit as an edition to my completist collection (other than a curiosity) because l have played it a good few times to try and get it and force a like, it just has not happened. Had they just selected and cleaned up the best tracks we may have had a decent 3 star issue. Maybe if I get the inclination I might do a cut n paste myself otherwise this it will gather dust forever. None of the 3 have the release on their sites or mention it…..can't think why?
One star is half a star too many.

Rattle That Lock
Rattle That Lock

5.0 out of 5 stars It's playable, 29 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Rattle That Lock (Audio CD)
I was bought this as a present and have been playing this in my car trips to work for several days, I am not going to disect each track and measure against his other solo and Floyd releases. But what I will say is that I enjoyed the first few plays as an album in total. The more I played it the more I heard echoes (bad pun) of others works, a bit of Division on an Island negotiating an endless river. It is a good album that stands alone but will I be playing it 5-10 years from now as much as I still play the Floyd, probably not so why the 5 stars, listen to the production values and after all it is Dave Gilmour playing guitar. Finally this is an album that needs playing quite a few times if you do not get it first time.

Anker New Laptop Battery for Apple A1175 A1211 A1226 A1260 A1150 MacBook Pro 15", Aluminum Body as Original (Not Plastic) - 18 Months Warranty [Li-ion 9-cell 5600mAh]

4.0 out of 5 stars Update on Anker Customer Service., 18 Sept. 2015
Well I purchased this battery in Feb 14 and now in Sep 15 I am lucky to be able to write this review on stand alone power out of the battery on my MacBook Pro, the power system information on my laptop informs me that the the battery is in need of service (computer speak for needs replacement). The deterioration in battery performance has been progressive since purchase and now has just completely droped in performance so after 19 months battery is useless. Do not purchase this battery for a MacBook Pro.

Updated Sep 15.
After contact with Anker I have revised my 1 star to 4 in recognition of their willingness to discuss with a amicable settlement for both parties feel done Anker. I am content to the point I have another battery for my MacBook pro from them, apparently the one I previously purchased has been discontinued. Ok I will write another review on the new battery in due course.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good yardstick…..!!, 6 Jan. 2015
Bought to replace damaged one, seems accurate, of good quality and has a good feel. Good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl on Track, 6 Jan. 2015
The unit is slight more robust than expected, as a stand alone the sound is good for the price, used with a jack aux on my system it works great. Only concern is the slightly flimsy arm lock, but hey great value for money and it is portable, what not to like!

The Endless River
The Endless River
Offered by Acfun Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Ambient, Sonic Floyd, 5 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Endless River (Audio CD)
OK I read a broad selection of the reviews from 1* to 5* and the only real way I was going to find out was to take the plunge, but I was bought this before I did. Anyway on my 1 hour drive to work I played it there and back and there and back and there and back..........and it was ok, searing guitars, sonic landscapes.....it is what it is..a cut from everything recent, well mastered and put together to flow along, which it does. I am not going to dissect the album but taken as a whole it is very listenable. Yes there will be naysayers and drooling aficionados, but the point for me is that I like it. When asked by my a mate if it was any good I replied "It's the ambient Floyd man" on that basis he also bought it and has raved ever since. Tonight was the first time I played outside the car it on my home system and phew up loud it sounds even better reverberating around the speakers....Whats not to like...it's the Floyd. So why 5 stars well the sound is so much better on my system and after all we are never going to get a new Floyd album so I am content to settle for this....Momentary, Division that has come out of the Blue on an Island.....and that cannot be all bad!!!!

Word Sculptures: Lyrics from the Musical Life of Greg Lake
Word Sculptures: Lyrics from the Musical Life of Greg Lake
by Greg Lake

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice book in good condition full of the great lyrics ..., 12 Nov. 2014
I had just about given up on ever owning this book and after many searches down the years, there it was. A nice book in good condition full of the great lyrics of Greg Lake (ELP). A great underrated songwriter......."from the opium of customer to the ledges of extreme, don't believe "til you've held it, life is seldom what it seems"......

The real bonus is that it was in excellent condition and very cheap and signed by Greg Lake, not sure the seller knew what he had but I thank him a lot.

Renovo International Plastic Window Polish, 50 ml
Renovo International Plastic Window Polish, 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars See Through, 17 Sept. 2012
Best stuff I have ever used to clean rear screens on convertibles. Easy to apply a slight bit of elbow grease and long lasting, works well on older badly stained plastic, will not remove deep scuffs but still worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 17 Sept. 2012
I used this to revive my 6 year old E46 convertible. Started by using a purpose hood cleaner, damp the hood apply cleaner and gently scrub in until lather and notice green (algae) in the suds, wash off scrub again and keep rinsing still all cleaning product washed away. Allow to dry and carefully paint the Renovo Colour Restorer on until covered and leave to dry. Worked an absolute treat, hood looks as good as new,

Top tip: ensure hood is clean and dry before application. Do not apply in direct sunlight and do not dry in direct sunlight, I picked a cloudy day and it worked perfect. Only apply if hood totally dry.

Funny enough the stuff smells like Morello liquid shoe polish?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4