Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for Mr. James West > Reviews

Content by Mr. James West

Mr. James West "Nebulous" (Aberdeen, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Microfiber Ultra Fast-dry Sports and Travel Towel, EveShine Ultra Compact Absorbent and Quick Drying Sports Towels for Camping, Beach, Pool, Gym, Yoga, Pilates or Bath - 27.6 inch x 55 inch
Offered by EveShine Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and very absorbent., 2 Jan. 2017
I cycle a lot, but in cold or wet weather I've been cutting down and heading for the gym to sit on an exercise bike instead. The problem with that, as anyone who uses a turbo trainer will tell you, is that cycling indoors generates a lot of sweat. I've been using an ordinary towel, both to dry off on the exercise bike and for a shower afterwards.

I got fed-up of carrying wet towels around, decided to try a microfiber towel instead, and went for this one.

First impressions are that it folds up really small. The carry pouch takes up very little room in my gym bag, in fact I'm probably looking for a smaller gym bag now. On opening it the towel feels well-made, with a smooth surface and stitched/ finished edge.

The real revelation came in using it however. It's like a sponge. Or even better than a sponge, in that you don't need to squeeze it first. You need to relearn how to dry yourself. I've been used to a traditional towel, where you rub yourself to dry off. With this you simply dab it on your skin and the area it has touched is dry. Rubbing isn't needed and doesn't really work. Just pat it on and the area is very dry. The towel absorbs all of this water quite effortlessly and still doesn't take up very much room.

I've used it a few times now, wanting to make sure before reviewing it. It has washed well, still looks good, and still surprises me in how absorbent it is. It has changed my gym experience for the better and I have no hesitation in giving it five stars.

MegaGear ''Ultra Light'' Neoprene Camera Case Cover Protector for DSLR Cameras Nikon D5600, D3200, D3300, D3100, Nikon D5300, D5500, D5200, D5100, D3400 with 18-55mm lens

4.0 out of 5 stars I've just bought my first dslr a Nikon D3300. ..., 13 Nov. 2016
I've just bought my first dslr a Nikon D3300. I needed something to protect it, and this seemed a suitable product. It's a soft neoprene case, which fits very snugly over the camera and comes round the edges at the back. The top then flaps down, with a velcro tab securing it at the bottom. On the back is a zipped pocket and underneath is a D -hook type clip.

I haven't had it long, but it fits snugly, provides protection from weather, dust and being hit or jarred for my camera. As it isn't hard it can fold or roll up and go into a pocket when not in use. A straightforward product which does the job it is made for.

WUBEN® E349 Flashlight 300 lumens USB Rechargeable Torch Aerospace,2 Modos Zoomable Torch Light LED Adjustable Focus Outdoor Waterproof IPX7 16340 Batteries ,keychain keyring
Offered by Wu Ben Only

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but powerful, 12 Nov. 2016
The first thing to say about this torch is how small it is. It is about the length of a cigarette. It may look tiny, but it packs a powerful punch, and is all I need for lighting my way through trees and a park in the dark.

It arrived securely packed in a box, as pictured in the advert on Amazon. It took a little bit of working out how to put it together. You screw off the rear end and insert the battery. There was an O ring inside the torch, which doesn't seem to serve any purpose, and putting it back in with the battery means the torch doesn't work. I left it out and it was fine. You screw out the front end, without needing to remove it fully, and it shows a micro-usb charging point. Insert the cable, attach it to a computer and a red light shows it is charging which turns green when it is fully charged.

In use the torch feels quite comfortable. It has a solid metal body which feels good quality and fits comfortably in my hand. Twisting the head switches it on, with a low power setting first and then a high power setting.

I walk my dog every evening, and with the clocks having changed it is really dark by the time we get out. I walk in a park, which is not lit and have a tree-lined path to get there, with parts of the path not lit either. In the few days I have had this torch it has been perfect for lighting our way. It has a central powerful beam with a wider lower lit area around it, which is good for lighting my way and also showing the side of the path at the same time. I'm out over an hour, and it has had no problem lasting that long on the highest setting. Several other dog walkers have asked me about it, and again they have been surprised at how small it is, compared with the amount of light it provides.

All-in-all I'm really impresssed so far; it's easy to keep in my pocket, lights my route very well, and being rechargeable it means I don't have to worry about replacing the batteries. I was given it at a reduced price in return for writing a review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Merrell Phoenix Gore-Tex, Men's Lace-Up Trekking and Hiking Shoes - Green (Canteen/Navy), 9 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good walking trainers, 10 Feb. 2016
I've generally bought cheap trainers and replaced them quite often, but my last two pairs deteriorated far too quickly. I've been looking for Gore-Tex shoes as I do a lot of dog walking in all sorts of weather and getting my feet wet is not very pleasant.

So a combination of looking for something better and these being reduced meant that I decided to go for it.

THe shoes are slightly strange to begin with. They have a bit more of a heel than I am used to in trainers, they fit quite snugly and have a lot of cushioning. They also have a lot of tread, which I suppose is what you would expect from Merrell with their strong hill-walking heritage.

A few days on and they are really growing on me. The snug fit feels really comfortable, the cushioning fits my feet very well and the tread feels solid and secure on all the surfaces I have tried them on.

I haven't tried them in soaking wet conditions yet - but I've had some water, with no problems as you would expect from the waterproofing. So all-in-all a very good performance. I'm very happy with them, getting used to the slightly unusual fit, all making a very solid four stars. If they continue to improve and more importantly if they last well then they might stretch to five.

U380 OBD 2 II EOBD Car Diagnose Tester Diagnostic Scanner U380
U380 OBD 2 II EOBD Car Diagnose Tester Diagnostic Scanner U380

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, 18 May 2014
I bought a cheap car, which showed an engine error code and oredered this diagnostic scanner. I paid extra for next day delivery because I wanted to get it resolved - and it didn't work! I got the dreaded 'linking error.'

It is claimed to work for every European market car from 2004, but my car is a late 2004 Kia Rio and it doesn't work on it.

On a slightly different note, lots of people such as a big car parts chain and a big catalogue chain used to sell scanners and they have all stopped. I'm not sure why, but they seem to have gone out of fashion. I don't think the technology has kept up and a lot of scanners being sold are pretty old models.

So it's hard for me to judge this piece of equipment. It may work for some people, but it certainly doesn't cover the range of cars it claims to and my one is now going to be sold off on Gumtree.

[4*USB 3.0 with 5V/2A Charge Port] Inateck HB5001 5-Port USB 3.0 Hub (4-Port USB 3.0 + One 5V 2A Charging Port) for Samsung Tablet Computers, Apple iPad and Smartphone, With 5V 4A Power Adapter & 3.3ft USB 3.0 Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Works effortlessly!, 11 May 2014
My desktop computer has two usb ports on the front and four at the back. However the two ports on the front are a bit dodgy and with printer, mouse, keyboard, mobile phone,external hard disk, camera and mp3 player all being plugged out and in I'm pretty short of slots. So when I was offered the opportunity to review this I jumped at it.

The hub arrived quickly, it was securely packaged and my first thought was how neat it was. It has a mains powered transformer and a switch with a blue light on top. I plugged the devices in, switched on and I was up and running with no drama. Everything I've tried so far has worked. Sometimes the computer will give a message it is installing my device but that doesn't cause any problems.

One thing I didn't expect to use much but which has proved very useful is the powered slot on the side. I often plug my mobile phone into a usb slot and charging that way can be quite slow. That means I often end up taking it out partially charged which I don't like. The powered slot however is really quick. Plugging it in there charges it quicker than the charger that came with it does. With a work and a personal mobile I find I'm using that slot every day.

So all-in-all its been great. I've had it about six weeks now and it just sits there working away and doing everything I ask of it without complaint. A pretty solid five stars in my book.

MetroFlash Danger Zone Tail Light
MetroFlash Danger Zone Tail Light
Offered by GsportsUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright and cheerful, 5 May 2013
I'm a very keen cyclist and so accepted readily when I was offered the opportunity to review this light.

I've had it for a few weeks now, with limited opportunities to really try it out, mainly because of the weather. I've finally given it a good test and feel I can give a reasonable picture of how it has been.

First of all the light. This one is bright, seriously bright. Two LEDs are better than one and if people don't see you with this then they're not going to see you at all. Being picky I would have preferred a mode with one LED on solid and one on flash. A flashing light helps people see you, but a solid one is better for motorists judging distance so I usually have one of each on the back.

Secondly a bright light is very little use if it fails elsewhere. I have found there are two main causes of failure for cycle lights. Sometimes they shake themselves out of the mount and get run over or break and secondly water gets in the seals and destroys the electrics. This one is doing well on both counts so far. I haven't tested it on a long wet ride, but it has been out in a couple of showers and is holding up well.

So all-in-all a very good light. A very solid 4 stars.

Safe House
Safe House

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-paced thriller, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Safe House (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book because it had been selling well and it was a good price, without expecting very much. I found a thriller with a lot of twists and a steady well-paced tale. I've never been to the Isle of Man, but the descriptions and layout were very believable and it appeared as though the writer knew it well.

I wanted to find out what would happen next and read it relatively quickly. Too few good guys for me, with no-one really coming out well, but a pretty solid 4 stars none the less.

PowerGen 8400mAh Dual USB Port External Battery Pack Power Bank Backup Charger with Built-In Flashlight for Smart phones, Android Phones, iPad mini, iPhone 5 (Lightning adapters not included), iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, HTC One X / V / S, Sensation, EVO, Nokia Lumia 920 N9, Motorola Razr, Blackberry Z10, Sony Xperia Z, Google Nexus 4 and More

5.0 out of 5 stars An answer to a growing problem, 17 Jun. 2012
Smartphones now do things that we never even dreamed of 10 years ago. Who would have imagined that a phone would be replacing your satnav, your diary and giving you internet on the move? The big issue though is that batteries just haven't kept up. I used to charge my mobile phone every 5-6 days, now I need to charge my iphone pretty much every day. Now that's all very well when I'm at home, but I also camp away from a power supply, and have become a very keen cyclist. Going touring, even for a couple of days, and using an app such as cyclemeter, drains a phone in about 5 hours tracking. I had looked at charging options a long time ago, but didn't really trust them. So getting given one of these to review was an opportunity to see whether it would work for me.

The unit came packed with a range of adapters, and arrived fully charged. It advised against using Nokia's own cable, and said you should use the supplied cable, which I did. Plugging in both my Nokia and my iphone worked well, and charging was surprisingly fast. I didn't time them, but I'm sure both charges were completed faster than they would have been with their respective chargers. The Nokia wouldn't work with the higher powered of the 2 ports, but the iphone was happy to. The lights on the front give an indication of how well charged the unit is, and stay on during charging, so you can tell as it is running down. It took a big hit charging both phones, but recovered slightly once the first phone was fully charged.

The biggest reservation I had about this battery pack is that it doesn't come with a UK charger, and I wondered just how long it would take to charge through a USB port. Luckily I didn't have to, as an iphone charger provides a USB output. I simply plugged the juice pack into it, and it worked.

So far I've been away overnight on one occasion, where we fully charged 3 phones all from different manufacturers, I've tried it twice in the house, and have used it once when I went out for the day without charging my phone first. Each time it has worked well with no dramas, and has done exactly what it says it will. The speed of charging always amazes me, and I'd use it in preference to the charger if I was in a hurry. I even found an opportunity to use the built-in torch on an overnight camp.

I have posted a photo in the product description showing it charging 2 phones and the range of supplied connectors. So all-in-all a worthy 5 stars in my view. A modern high-tech product, which fills an annoying gap for me. All I need now is some decent weather to get away on my bike!

Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Digital Camera - Black (14.1 MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD with Wide Viewing Angle

5.0 out of 5 stars What a camera - again!, 26 Nov. 2011
I can't believe that I'm back again reviewing a Canon powershot - but I am. I saw this one come out, with no intention of buying it, but there was a good price on Amazon, cashback from Canon, and a relative needing a camera, so I couldn't resist passing the old one on and buying the SX150is. It's available in silver and red as options, but I stuck to black.

First of all this is a superzoom camera, which means it has a big range of focal lengths. This gives a body which is slightly bigger than most pocket-sized cameras, but the benefit is the ability to zoom in - and boy can you zoom in! It has a 12x optical zoom and to indicate what that means; I was standing so my shed was filling about a quarter of the screen, and then zoomed in fully and the fairly small shed window filled the screen on the optical zoom, without resorting to the digital zoom. It is the equivalent of 28 mm to 336 mm, for a 35mm camera, which is as much as you are ever likely to want.

Power is provided by AA batteries, which doesn't suit everyone, but it really works for me. We have dozens of high capacity rechargeables, and they are long-lasting, with charged spares always to hand. The original alkalines didn't do very well though, so try to use rechargeables. If you are going to carry them charged for a long time it's also worth getting the long-lasting ones.

The sensor has been upgraded to 14.1 megapixels, from 12 before, which helps in low light, and is all anyone is ever likely to need for everyday family use.
Settings are simple to use, with lots of manual options. I tend to ignore the easy mode and go straight to auto option, which has 31 settings for the camera to choose from. Then you can move to SCN mode, which I generally use for scenery and people. Then there are the programme modes, and finally manual settings.

There are various filter modes, including a miniature scene mode, toy camera mode and colour swap. I rarely use them, but they're useful for a bit of fun. Speaking of fun smart shutter, smile detection takes a photo when it detects someone smiling. It may seem a little gimmicky, but it does actually work, and has improved photos of people - maybe because they know they're stuck there until they smile!

Photo quality is very good, probably an advance on the last one. Because of the large sensor you can blow the photos up quite large, and retain the detail. Canon reckons you can print to A2. I rarely print photos, but like to use the highest quality setting nevertheless. A 4gb memory card holds around 1000 photos at the highest resolution. Even zoomed in the detail is good, with the image stabilisation working to reduce shake. Colours are good, very realistic, although I have sometimes detected a slight yellowish cast indoors.

I have tried the video, and am quite happy with it, but it isn't why I bought the camera, and I'm unlikely to use it very often.

It's worth giving the software a quick shout as well. I like zoombrowser to upload new photos to my computer with very little fuss. Plug in the camera, switch it on and off you go.

So all-in-all this quality of camera, with this range of zoom, with an overwhelming range of manual settings, but very good photos out-of-the box in auto mode, has to be worth 5 stars.

Edit 27-12-11 I've added two photos of Leith Hall to the product description. They are intended to show the range of the zoom, rather than being held up as good photos. They were both taken from the same place, one at the wide-angle setting, and the other fully zoomed in, using the optical zoom only. As you can see it really does have a huge range.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2013 8:57 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8