Profile for Acquafortis > Reviews

Content by Acquafortis

Acquafortis

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Same Sex in the City: (So Your Prince Charming Is Really a Cinderella)
Same Sex in the City: (So Your Prince Charming Is Really a Cinderella)
by Lauren Levin

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern lesbian vade-mecum, 25 Jan. 2009
I would really recommend this book to all lesbians-to-be and confused lesbians or simply lesbians who would like an advice or two.
It is a real vade-mecum of how, when and why. Reading it helps one feels less lonely, less stupid and more part of a world so rarely described with realistic humour in pure Yiddish style.
Well done Girls!!

Insatiable: The Erotic Adventures Of A French Girl In Spain
Insatiable: The Erotic Adventures Of A French Girl In Spain
by Valérie Tasso

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Lucidity, 25 Jan. 2009
She wrote much better books later on but at the end of the day it is a pleasant and easy book to read. Gets better as the book progresses and eventually captivates one's curiosity.
What baffles me, assuming that all that was written in this book is true, is the lucidity with which the author narrates it all.

Annie on My Mind
Annie on My Mind
by Nancy Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Literature that speaks to the heart, 16 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Annie on My Mind (Paperback)
Annie on my mind took my heart in its hand and led me through a beautiful simple sweet love story which I could feel part and parcel of ... No complicated scenarios, no strange vocabulary but literature that speaks to the heart.

Everyday life, everyday problems, things that most of us, or at least me have passed through.

Every single detail talks about love. Mind you I said Love, because it's just secondary the fact that the story is about two gay teenagers. And that's what is all about, love, in all its dimensions, all its colours... love on daily bases which I could relate to. That's what's compelling about this book which I suggest fervently to read, gay or not.

Thank you Nancy Garden!

Under The Tuscan Sun: At Home in Italy
Under The Tuscan Sun: At Home in Italy
by Frances Mayes

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Start!, 15 July 2008
I found this book quite funny at the beginning. As a foreigner living in Italy for these last 12 years I laughed out loud reading those everyday life incidents and lets call them diplomatic misunderstandings that different cultures bring with them.
I could just simply relive the bizarre situations that the authors describes and in a way feeling a bit relieved I wasn't the only one having problems.
Somewhere in between the book became a bit boring and I had to plod my way through the pages. The author seems to love a lot Italian cuisine because she's always describing what she's eating in the various restaurants she's been at, in different places in Italy, especially Tuscany.

When You and Your Mother Can't be Friends
When You and Your Mother Can't be Friends
by Victoria Secunda

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me feel less of a freak., 4 May 2008
I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever had problems with their mother or simply need to understand mother-daughter dynamics. This interplay does not only effect the direct protagonists but it also has a profound effect on our choice of friends, partners and work. Understanding this relationship means starting the road to real maturity.
I myself being a person who is in therapy because of a dominating mother, found this book helpful. Reading about other women having problems with their own mother helped me feel less lonely and less of a freak.
The book is divided in various sections amongst which the various types of dysfunctional mothers and the different types of dysfunctional daughter. One the result of the other in a series of cause and effect transmitted down through generations.
Reading it helped me understand more of what my therapists says and proud of having started a journey in not only discovering myself but also maybe of one day being able to accept my mother for who she is....a person with all its pros and cons, daughter and product of her generation and those of her forebears.

Our Spoons Came From Woolworths: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)
Our Spoons Came From Woolworths: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)
by Barbara Comyns

1.0 out of 5 stars Is it true?, 23 Feb. 2008
A simple straightforward book that you can read while you are at the doctor or at the post-office waiting with underground or background noise ripping off your attention.
What leaves me baffled is the immature way they handled life. Where they really so naïve at that time?
"I had a kind of idea if you controlled your mind and said "I won't have any babies" very hard, they most likely wouldn't come. I thought that was what was meant by birth-control, but by this time I knew that idea was quite wrong."
Nothing else to add...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2011 9:00 PM GMT

Turning the Hiram Key: Making Darkness Visible
Turning the Hiram Key: Making Darkness Visible
by Robert Lomas

4.0 out of 5 stars A journey worth reading, 23 Feb. 2008
A fascinating book that takes into consideration why Freemasonry still has an important role into today's society. The author, Robert Lomas, a scientist and a freemason, investigates why such highly ritualized and deeply symbolic practises not only enthral those who take part but also helps them in their search for a higher dimension in everyday life.
From Isaac Newton to Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.From Candace Pert, Michele Persinger, Marija Gimbutas to Andrew Newberg.
A journey really worth reading.

The Calendar: The 5000 Year Struggle To Align The Clock and the Heavens, and What Happened To The Missing Ten Days
by David Ewing Duncan

4.0 out of 5 stars Time and Power, 28 Jan. 2008
A appealing fact-jammed book about something we use everyday - the calendar.
I never thought there were so many events and people involved in its story dating back to time immemorial. Facts at times amusing, others outright dramatic.
It's fascinating the interplay between time and who dictates it. Control over time and its deployment gives boundless power to the beholder that usually one can't even ponder.
Last one on the list is the Roman Catholic Church, who's reform on the calendar is the one we're still using today.
A reform that started, not for any scientific endeavour but for the down to earth task of celebrating Easter on the appropriate day!

Better Than Chocolate [1999] [DVD]
Better Than Chocolate [1999] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wendy Crewson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Within everybody's reach chocolate, 7 Dec. 2007
Much has been said about this film. I saw it twice and I enjoyed it as you would enjoy a piece of within-everybody's-reach chocolate.
If you would like an easy going film that doesn't need much mind activity but physical needs than it's your film.
Yes there are quite sexy and hot screen shots but it lacks depth.
On the whole I gave it a three star cause you can enjoy your dvd evening with this film without touching crucial issues.

Peggy Guggenheim: The Life of an Art Addict
Peggy Guggenheim: The Life of an Art Addict
by Anton Gill

1.0 out of 5 stars An Essay on Modern Art, 7 Dec. 2007
If you would like to read the life of Peggy Guggenheim then do not buy this book. It is an essay on modern art during the life of Peggy Guggenheim.
It is a very well researched book but it fails to give the life of Peggy Guggenheim. It is filled with too much details on arts and artists and their interconnections and influence on the 19th century modern art that at the end of the book I feel as if I know very little about the life of the collector.
I'm sure that an arts student or someone who has the basics to understand who's who the book is talking about would enjoy it.
I didn't. It took me three months to read and believe me I read it for the simple reason that I wanted to finish the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8