Profile for Jane Austen > Reviews

Content by Jane Austen

Jane Austen "Jane" (London)

Stuffocation: Living More with Less
Stuffocation: Living More with Less
by James Wallman

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're thinking you might like to read it, don't think twice. Just buy it, or buy a Kindle version., 7 Aug. 2015
Very rarely do I post reviews on books I've purchased from Amazon. Never for books I've not purchased from Amazon. I loved this book. I have been struggling with the conflict of a life of experiences vs one of status and materialism. It's been such a conflict. But understanding that consumerism and materialism has truly been embedded in our society, from our culture, to the metrics we measure, how we view others in society, and the throwaway society we've become - it is no wonder it's such a struggle to swim against the flow. This is a very easy to read book that sets a lot of context, and draws conscious what is unconscious. I don't know what the solution is, I think the author can't see that far ahead himself. But it is a good place for a starting conversation. If you've ever wondered why you're different, that you're interested in the rat race, but yet feel compelled to participate because this is how it is, then read this book. At the very least, it will get you started on decluttering your life, and being thoughtful about what you bring into your life. That can only be valuable.

Lifemax 24W High Vision Reading Lamp Beige Floor
Lifemax 24W High Vision Reading Lamp Beige Floor
Offered by The Good Life Guide

1.0 out of 5 stars Wobbly, poorly designed, poorly secured lamp but good light, 12 Oct. 2011
This must be one of my *most* (in bold and underline) disappointing product purchases from Amazon. Firstly, I purchased the white lamp, expecting the colour of the lamp to be white. Actually, it is grey.

Secondly, I did not expect all this excess wire that I had to slip into the cavity of the piping of the lamp. I had difficulty shoving it in. And since one part of the pipe joined into the other pipe, I had to roll the wires in on itself and shove it in. This I feel, is very poor design. I also feel with electrical products, that it is not a good idea to have wires rolling in on itself. But I can see that the manufacturers were not interested in design. Which leads me to my third point.

The product is poorly manufactured. Certainly, "confidence" is not a word that comes into mind. You stick one pole into another, and then there is a little screw that screws into one little hole in the base and another little hole in the pipe.

Fourthly, the pipe between pole number 2 and pole number 3 is not secure at all, so that when you lift the lamp, which one is wont to do to move it and adjust it, you invariably pull pole 2 from pole 3. I can see it coming completely loose and the head falling over and all the wires coming out. So now, I have to secure it with some sticky tape to prevent this from happening. This for a brand new lamp.

For all these reasons, I think the experience of purchasing this lamp is simply disappointing.

The light quality is fine. But after all the above, I simply cannot feel happy with the quality of the light at all, the poor quality of the product simply exceeding my expectations of what level of poor quality I should accept for [] quid. To be honest, it also makes me feel quite disappointed with Amazon that they should allow such poor quality of product on their site. I suppose they can't know, but still, I somehow expected more from an Amazon fulfilled product. I also know that others have rated the lamp highly on the site, which is why I purchased this lamp, but I simply cannot understand why, unless it is a rating as to only white light quality and not to overall construction, and therefore overall product.

4 stars taken off for each of the points made above, leaving 1 star which reflects the positive experience of the actual light itself (not lamp), and quick delivery.

Parker Vector Fountain Pen Ecotime Brown Stripe design Special Edition
Parker Vector Fountain Pen Ecotime Brown Stripe design Special Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Special edition pen slightly smaller than normal., 7 Oct. 2011
This particular Special Edition pen is slightly smaller than the normal black or blue versions. It still works perfectly and the ink refill cartridges fit without a problem.

Draper 69260 Hand-Operated Paper Shredder
Draper 69260 Hand-Operated Paper Shredder

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine, 11 July 2011
Great little machine. Does the job. Child safe and fun for children to use to shred paper. So kill 2 birds with one stone: shred paper and provide entertainment. Only downside is that shredding box is quite small, so it fills up quite quickly.

A Year in the Life of Richmond Park
A Year in the Life of Richmond Park
by Joanna Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great souvenir, 11 Mar. 2011
Lovely pictures of Richmond Park. Great gift to family and friends that tells them a little about the park, and a lovely complement to Joanna Jackson's other book on Richmond.

East Meets West: Global Design for Contemporary Interiors
East Meets West: Global Design for Contemporary Interiors
by Kelly Hoppen

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 14 Feb. 2011
Quite a disappointing book. I had expected a much more contemporary (read modern), and real attempted interpretation of East meets West. All it is Laura Ashley goes to India or Morocco for throw rugs or cushions, and China for porcelain to decorate a Victorian house. Surely the author could have done more than just putting a Buddha head on a table, or wrapping a potted plant with Chinese printed newspaper. A very trivial interpretation. Useful as a coffee table book, especially if you plan to spill coffee all over it.

Garmin Nuvi 1690 Traffic Satellite Navigation System with UK & European Mapping
Garmin Nuvi 1690 Traffic Satellite Navigation System with UK & European Mapping

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for drivers and pedestrians but no MP3, 8 April 2010
Purchased this SatNav as it is top of the line from Garmin. Played around with it initially, and loved it. Great, simple interface for a SatNav newbie. But realised that it did not have MP3 capability which was a key feature I needed for how I wanted to use the SatNav. So I returned it. No problems with returns, Amazon was great.