Profile for N. Goodearl > Reviews

Content by N. Goodearl

N. Goodearl "gooseybaby" (Guildford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Notes of a Russian Sniper: Vassili Zaitsev and the Battle of Stalingrad
Notes of a Russian Sniper: Vassili Zaitsev and the Battle of Stalingrad
by Vassili Zaitsev

5.0 out of 5 stars Humble account of true heroism, 26 Dec. 2012
I own many books about WW2; the personal accounts are always the best. I found this book an insightful account of the mind of s sniper and the battle for Stalingrad. The Nazi's loss at Stalingrad was the turning point in the war and Zaitsev played a key role in demoralising the Germans which lead to their ultimate defeat. The tactics, mind games, patience, intelligence and bravery really stands out. What impressed me the most was just how humble he was and didn't seek glory for himself but trained other snipers and fought for the greater cause.

The one observation was how much Zaitsev loved his country. This is an honourable thing and he hated the fact that the Germans (who he classed all as Nazis) had attacked his country. However, he never mentioned the fact that Russia invaded Poland and were in league with the Nazis beforehand. I want to give Zaitsev the benefit of the doubt that he might have not known too much about it since he grew up in the Urals and was posted to the east before volunteering for the front. It poses the question, he if was Polish, what would he think of the Russians? If he did know, the way he talks he would have naively agreed with any Soviet policy. This takes nothing away from him as a man, a soldier, a patriot and someone who wanted to stop evil at any cost. A very honest and passionate read from start the finish.

Tuff-Luv Faux leather tri-fold Commuter Wallet train ticket / bus pass wallet holder case - brown
Offered by Tuff-Luv

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the commute, 2 Oct. 2012
I got fed up with the plastic ticket holders issued by the rail company. They just fail apart after a few months. The travel wallet is superb. I have my season ticket, oyster card and ticket id and keep a few business cards in there. It looks smart and professional but you also know it is there. The plastic holders are so light you can walk out the house and not realise you have forgotten your ticket. It is good quality. Highly recommened for the daily commuter.

Men's Messenger Bag (Black Valino) Laptop Bag Cross Body Shoulder Bag - Office Casual

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks the part but not too practical, 2 Oct. 2012
I got this bag for work to replace a back pack they issued me. I had a budget of around £30 and saw this one. No-one had reviewed it but I measured my laptop and it would fit. I got it yesterday and was quite happy with it until I switched my belongings. The laptop, which has a 15.4 screen, just about fits but the charger is a bit of a squeeze. I put a large hardback book in and the main flap just about closed. The charger just about went in when the book was in. I commute one train so space for a book is essential but this bag doesn't really cope.

The bag looks and feels well made. If you carry quite a bit in your bag then space would be a real issue. The bag is more suited to a laptop with a smaller screen, such as a 13".

There are handy pockets inside, including one that is zipped.

If it was my money I would spend a bit more on a larger bag.

Nancy Wake
Nancy Wake
by Russell Braddon

4.0 out of 5 stars A real insight, 24 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Nancy Wake (Paperback)
I heard about Nancy Wake when her obituary was in the Times. I enjoy reading about WW2 and she seemed to have had a remarkable life. She was an incredibile brave woman who took enormous risks to help free France from Nazi tyranny working under the direction of British intelligence. She commanded a deep respect for those she fought with and the partizans treated her as an equal. She was very determined and scarificed much for freedom including her husband who died because he would have give her up. A great read of a largely unsung hero.

Laptop table, Adjustable Laptop Table, Portable Folding Laptop Table, Folding Wooden Laptop Table, Folding Solid Wood Notebook Laptop Table, Laptop Table for Bed, Laptop Table for Lap, Comfortable Laptop Table, Breakfast Tray, Wooden Breakfast Tray ** VISTABLE 17 + DRAWER NATURAL COLOUR ! **

4.0 out of 5 stars Solves a practical problem and is good quality, 17 Jan. 2012
I was looking for something to allow me to use laptop is bed or on a sofa without my legs getting hot. I searched for few places and came across this laptop table. I have a 17" laptop and so this was perfect. The laptop table is well built and looks better then a plastic or metal equivalent. I opted for the one with a small draw as it is only a few extra pounds.

The laptop is secure and won't slip off. There is plenty of room for a mouse on the right hand side (there might be one for left handed people so check). There is a table for laptops that have a 15" screen so make sure you buy the right size!

Overall, a great product.

Earphones with Remote & Mic
Earphones with Remote & Mic
Offered by Tec Uk

2.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for use, 15 April 2011
I bought this based on the reviews which to be fair highlighted some issues with the product. However, as it was cheap and I needed a replacement set of headphones to use in phonecalls for my iPhone 3G I bought them. I made one phone call and the person could not hear me. I left a voicemail which ended cut out as no sound was being recorded. The ear pieces are for two rights ears. All in all pretty cheap but not cheerful. Good just for music.

Eyewitness Auschwitz: Three Years in the Gas Chamber
Eyewitness Auschwitz: Three Years in the Gas Chamber
by Filip Muller

5.0 out of 5 stars The most shocking book about Auschwitz, 15 Feb. 2011
I have just finished this book having read widely about the Nazis final solution and concentration camps. I have also visited Auschwitz - Birkenau. Filip Muller was a member of the Sonderkommandos who burnt the bodies of the victims of the gas chambers.

What Filip went through and was ordered to carry out is truly shocking and shows the depths of evil mankind can go to. He describes in great detail the brutality of the Nazi death machine and the indifference of executions and torture carried out by the SS. It is a remarkable account of ones will to survive despite the constant threat of death. The way he writes enables you to feel the emotion of both himself and the victims of these atrocities at the hands of the SS, of which Filip describes their quite unbelievable methods and sadistic pleasure in what they were doing.

This book is not to entertain you; it is show what one person can achieve in the midst of adversity.

Tissot Gents Watch PRC200 T0144101603700
Tissot Gents Watch PRC200 T0144101603700

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy watch, 30 Jan. 2011
I got this watch after being recommended Tissot as a quality watch maker without being too pricey. I read the reviews on amazon and other sites and no-one had a bad word to say about it. The watch is well made and will last a life time. It is light despite being fairly large watch. The strap is sturdy and I can't see it breaking easily. The strap is different then normal watches and takes a bit of getting used to. I suggest you try it on in a shop before buying it.

Overall, a great watch whether for business or casual use.

Five Chimneys: A Woman Survivor's True Story of Auschwitz
Five Chimneys: A Woman Survivor's True Story of Auschwitz
by Olga Lengyel

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for Auschwitz history, 18 Feb. 2010
I bought this book sooner after visiting Auschwitz. It was a book where I could picture what she was talking about, which made it a very gripping and emotive read.

Olga writes in a matter-of-factly way telling her story as it is; how she felt, how humans could demonstrate such inhumane actions, how the desire to survive made a decent person extremely selfish, the indifference of the Nazis.....
Olga's husband was also in the camp and how she took great risks to see him. She also describes how she heard of his death during the death march out of Auschwitz. It was a testament to them both they survived independently of each other for that long only for him to be shot trying to help someone who needed medical attention.

Olga is an example of human bravery, compassion and strength in the face of such adversity. You can only admire her.

Jabra SP700 Bluetooth Hands Free Car Kit with In-built FM Transmitter
Jabra SP700 Bluetooth Hands Free Car Kit with In-built FM Transmitter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent handsfree kit, 18 Feb. 2010
I got an iPhone just before Christmas and wanted a decent hands free kit. So many kits are unreliable. I also didn't want an ear piece. I researched the best product and decided upon this one by Jabra. I am very happy with the product. It was easy to setup and kept discretely on my sun visor. Press one button on it and it goes to FM radio and I play my ipod through it. When a call comes in you just have to press the device once and it answers. The call is clear with the callers' voice coming out through the car speakers. When the call finishes the music automatically starts up again. The sound quality on a call is generally clear unless you are on the motorway where background noise makes you unclear.

It is important to choose an FM frequency not used by a radio station otherwise it will interfere. The battery lasts for ages on this. It doesn't take too long to recharge and can this is done in the car from the lighter socket.

One thing to remember is to turn it off when you get out of the car. I was on a phone call at home and it was still connected to the blue tooth device. I could hear the person calling but they couldn't hear me. This can be changed in the call but it does catch you unawares. If you are out of the radius of the device you are fine. This is not a product fault just something to watch out for.

I would recommend this product especially for iPhone users.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3