Profile for Mrs M. > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Neon Ballroom
Neon Ballroom

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Emotive, 27 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Neon Ballroom (Audio CD)
I found this the best album every released by Silverchair. My firm favorite is Ana's song which is actually a song about Johns' fight against Anorexia Nervosa (Ana is a colloquial term for Anorexia often used by its sufferers) which nearly destroyed him. The wording to this I find especially potent as I too have suffered from this disease in the past and the words strike truth for me. The song brings me close to tears every time - I am very glad ot hear that Johns has conquered this disease and continues on writing music. Thumbs up, a great buy.

Thirteen [DVD]
Thirteen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Holly Hunter
Offered by JCJ Internet Savers

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 18 April 2005
This review is from: Thirteen [DVD] (DVD)
This really was an amazing film and really hit me hard. It is the worst nightmare of any parent, losing the child as they grow. I am at a loss for words of how to describe this film, all I have to say is I can't believe I took so long to see it. It was amazing, truely a must-see movie. Some of the things were chillingly similar to my experiences when I was younger, though in no way was my life that hectic and dreadful. I have been really affected by this film and cannot stop thinking about it. In fact I am off to watch it again! So please watch this film, you won't regret it. It should have won so many more awards and Wodd is truely an amazing actress, one of the best I have ever seen. She will and should go very far indeed.

28 Days Later (2002) [DVD]
28 Days Later (2002) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cillian Murphy
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars What is everyone on about? This is a masterpiece!, 2 Nov. 2003
This review is from: 28 Days Later (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
I don't know what is wrong with everyone else but to me this was the best horror movie I have seen in many years. It really is scary - the monsters are very freaky and the way the film is shot gives it a spooky realism. It's storyline is complex and is deeper than most gore fests that call themselves horror movies these days. Look at Scream - The only thrills it pulled were out of the violence and the horrific killing - This film has violence and horrific killings as well but doesn't try to base the film solely on the gore. How can anyone not think that this film is a brilliant feat of cinematograpy - it is worth 5 stars and so much more, if you want a proper scary movie then this is the film for you - just think of the disappointment of all the big hollywood movies that only get the fame because they involve the big names and the well know producers - What have they brought us in the past few years, re-makes and sequels of horror classics and a few dire films which only look to gross out the watcher and nothing else.
28 Days later really is a brilliant film and you can't help thinking that it could realy happen. It is the first film that has made me feel uneasy in a while. I would like to congratulate the directors and producers of this wonderful movie. Please I ask you all to go see this film - it truly is one of the greats.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Five Disc Collector's Box Set) [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood|Ian Mackellen|Liv Tyler
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars I rate this 1000 stars but it won't go that far!, 5 Oct. 2003
Ok, I am ingreat dnager of ending up trying to exceed the 1000 word limit here as I cannot get enough praise for the film in just 1000 words. So what I am goibng to try and do is keep it short and sweet.
First reading Lord of the Rings 5 years ago and at the probably too young age of 10 I was filled with an amazing sense on overwheliming love for this book. It is a masterpiece that will live on far after I have gone and for as long as the race of humans survives I don't doubt - wow little over enthusisatic there LOL. But this book has intrigued me for nigh 6 years now. When I heard in 2000 that they were buisily making films on the trilogy I inwardly groaned. I could just imagine what they were going to be like, some awful Hollywood remakes that were full of big shot actors and actresses which ruined the film. But I found out it was being made out of Hollywood - something that I think saved the films from being complete disasters but also the reason it didnt pick up as many oscars. If it had been full of Hollywood stars it would no doubt have collected all the possible prizes. But then it wouldnt have been as good because it starred the Hollywood bigshots and therefore wouldn't have got the prizes....Ok I'm as confused as you now. Moving on.
The first film was amazing and I have seen it about 60+ times now and have cried EVERY time. The Two Towers is great and has a much bigger and more epic feel to it than FotR. I have now seen TTT 25 times and I also cried at it every time - Sam as a character is so sweet!
The amzingly epic films are no doubt going to go out with a bang in December when the final installment comes out but it has been said that the next film will be the saddest and the most heart wrenching of them all - take a huge amount of tissues.
But here I am being sidetracked, being the huge Lord of the Rings fan that I am - I am currently reading the book for the 4th time - I feel that the movies are very good but in a different way from the books. The amount missed ou from thefilms is distressing and I don't like the way Faramir is portrayed - in the book he is a much kinder person who many love very much. But they are both top of their genre. Don't look at them as the same thing - look at the books as being the most amazing literary classics ever and the films the most amazing to date.
Buying the special extended film with Gollum statue is expensive but for a fan as big as me it is worth it. It has an extra disc on the making of Gollum and as well as all the extras on Gollum in the Box I am sure it is (as this is written about a month before it actually comes out! PRE ORDERED over 2 months before!) worth every penny. The Argonath bookends are sitting on my bookshelf right now from last years FotR extended platinum box set and they are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Gollum figurine (as am I) so why not get an extra special collectors set an order this one. Simply can't wait for mine to arrive!
I leave you with my favorite quote form the film -
Legolas - Aragorn, Nad no ennas
Aragorn - Man Cenith?
Legolas - The White Wizard approaches!
Eeep! If you haven't already seen this film then you must right now. I already have the 2 disc set but I must have both as I found with FotR last year ( I have both the 4 disc and 2 disc sets for that as well) the films are ever so slightly different in places where the extended footage has had to be intergrated into the film.
In anticipation of 17th of December (if you dont know why Look it up) and November 18th (thats when my set arrives!!!)

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl [DVD] [2003]
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, highly amusing and worth seeing many times, 5 Oct. 2003
After my 15th viewing of the film (yes 15, I know, sad) I have decided that I should share my thoughts on the summer blockbuster. I am trying to persuade the minority of you that haven't already been to see this to go NOW before you have to wait until December to see it. You will miss out on the big screen experience that is something not to be missed trust me.
It all began many months ago when I heard that Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp - the two most attractive men in the film business today were staring in a new swashbuckling pirate movie. I couldn't wait to get down to the cinema and see it as soon as was humanly possible.
So clutching 2 advanced preview tickets (Sorry to brag but I was so proud I got them!) in my sweaty hands standing outside my local cinema on the 7th of August I prepared myself for some major swooning but expected the film, to be quite honestly, complete pants.
I had been reading every review on the Pirates of the Caribbean I had come across as, being a huge HUGE fan of The Lord of the Rings (And before you think I only like it because of a certain Mr Bloom - that is most defiantly not the case, LOTR is a masterpiece in both the filmographic and literary worlds and I was in to it LONG before the films first graced our cinema screens (although Bloom is an added bonus)) I had wanted to see Orlando in another role and to see how he fared.
All the reviews I had read up to it's release in America had pretty much gone along the lines of it being useless and only worth going for the attractive people involved, it seemed that it wasn't going to be a hit but very much a flop. But then after it US release the reviews changed their tune (and I hope they are all very sorry to poor Gore and that they are grovelling for his apology) as all of they were raving about it and saying it was a brilliant Hollywood master piece sure to become the blockbuster of the summer. To be honest though I had my doubts in the beginning - based on a Disney ride and called such a cheesy name - Pirates of the Caribbean; curse of the black pearl, I mean come on, it just shouts "CHEAP MONEY GRABBING IDEA FROM THE DISNEY BIGSHOTS"
But going into the film the first thing that hit me was the music - which I have since bought the CD of, Klaus's music is a masterpiece in itself - not interfering with the film but carefully underlining it (I especially love how when Jack and Will are fighting in the Blacksmiths that their sword clashes coincide with the music - listen carefully).
The opening scene really sets the pace off - the child actors are brilliantly cast and we will without a doubt be seeing them again in years to come. The scene is set and the adrenaline is already pumping.
Then it's the lead female role entrance - played by brilliant up and coming young actress Kiera Knightly (I would compliment her more except for the fact she is a lot prettier than me). Throughout the film she does very well indeed which is surprising as her only other films so far are small cast and low budget movies such as the AWFUL "Bend it like Beckham" and the confusing and disappointing "The Hole". She will go far.
Now to the dashing Mr Bloom, his opening scene is great and a laugh but I must say, and I am trying desperately here not to offend any big fans, but Bloom really hasn't really got the grasp on his acting potential. He is OK as amateurs go but is still finding his footing and perhaps doesn't yet feel secure on a movie set as is clearly apparent in his acting. But nevertheless he does a good job and portrays the love struck young Turner well.
But then, THEN comes the best and most spectacular entrance of the entire film, or I could go even as far as to say THE best that I have ever seen (but then again I may be biased by my deep love for the Deppster). The music that accompanies the entrance of the show stealer is amazing listen out. I won't ruin what Jack's entrance is - mind you if you haven't seen it yet you deserve me to ruin it for you! GET DOWN TO THAT CINEMA RIGHT NOW!!!! So with the quirky and amazingly camp and yet strangely attractive *CAPTAIN* Jack Sparrow on the scene the film speeds off at a fast pace. **(You really need to have seen the film to know why that parts very important). With all the best lines and puns, Jack really steals the show, he has it all the funny walk the camp demeanour and the roguish good looks - I think its the Kohl!
Johnny Depp is amazing - a definite Oscar is waiting for him after that performance, he really WAS Jack Sparrow - completely becoming the character. He is the best part in the film for me, charming, funny and very strange but still a character that everyone can love, Johnny has captured the character perfectly. I am now even more in love with Johnny than I was when he first appeared over 20 years ago - it's hard to believe he is 40, he still has the good looks of a 25 year old - some people get all the luck.
But back to the film! Overall it is amazingly well done and Gore deserves a prize for it that I hope he will get in the coming film award season. And now, in danger of exceeding the 1000 word limit, I ask you once more to see this film and ponder - Why is the rum gone?

Nokia 8310 - Vodafone - Pay As You Talk (Smartstep)
Nokia 8310 - Vodafone - Pay As You Talk (Smartstep)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, a really great phone, 31 Jan. 2003
After seeing the other review i felt i had to defend the 8310, this phone i brilliant i can find now fault with it apart from a couple of really minor ones. The radio is excellent and it has great reception 95% of the time. The voice recorder is fun, i find it useful for GCSE French to record the verbs and words so i know how to pronounce them correctly, but it could have allve all kinds of uses. The phone is sweet and very small, it fits anywhere and i hardly ever have a bad reception, i have never had a problem with my phone it has worked perfectly since the day it was bought. One minor problems is that when loading the inbox when you have a lot of messages it is slow but this is when you have over 70 messages, im not sure how many it holds but i got to over 100 and it still wasnt full. The backlight is great, a brilliant blue hue which seperates the phone from others, this phone is amazing it has real charachter i love mine to bits, it goes absolutely everywhere with me because it fits anywhere. I have found no other problems with my 8310, its a lot of money but if you are willing to pay that much it really is worth it. This really is the best phone i could dream of having and i feel very lucky to own one.

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Five Novels in One Outrageous Volume
by Douglas Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, brilliant but a very sad end to it all..., 6 Nov. 2002
I really enjoyed this book and think that if you want to read the hitchhiker series why not buy them all in this one edition, one thing i must say though, did anyone see the point of the bonus story "Yound Zaphod plays it safe"? What was that all about? But dont get me wrond this is a book you have to read in your life time otherwise you will have been deprived of one of the greatest book of all time.
It is hilarious, heart warming and i must say very very strange. If you are a Terry Pratchett fan then you should read this straight away as it is written in a similar manner to his books which acquires a certain taste.
The best book out of them all i think is of course the first, i think the fouth was the weakest as the storyline had almost nothing to do with the other books but it was good all the same with a generous dose of humour and i think that the last book was the saddest as it was the end of it all. No more books to follow sadly as the writer sadly died a couple of years ago and by the end of the book you have a distinct feeling that your life will never be the same again. I felt sad that it was all over when i finished after getting to know the charachters so well but then thats what makes a good book.
This may not appeal to everybody as it needs a certain sense of humour but i think what ever books you are in to you cant help loving this book, it has something for everyone. This book is easily worth many more than just 5 stars, it is a real gem, its not often you find a book of such brilliance, if you dont read it you will miss out on all the fun and humour and never find out the importance of the number 42!

Fur Fighters: Viggo's Revenge (Playstation 2)
Fur Fighters: Viggo's Revenge (Playstation 2)
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing mix of shooting and platform game., 22 Sept. 2002
This is one of the best games I own. I went to buy this game many times before I actually did as I was worried that it wasnt worth it. It is a brilliant game with no blood or guts just lots of stuffing, when you shoot an eney their fluffing comes out. The game isnt very brilliant on the graphics side but the cartoony graphics kinda suit it. A brilliant game, definatly worth buying, you are missing out if you don't have this game i love it.

Thirteen Ghosts [DVD] [2002]
Thirteen Ghosts [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Tony Shalhoub
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best scary films I have seen, 6 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Thirteen Ghosts [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
When getting this film out I was sceptical over it, would be scary or not? I had got it out at the video shop because I knew it had Matthew Lillard in it who I had fallen in love with after seeing Scooby Doo. I am a mad film fan and have seen hundreds of scary films and not many have caught my imagination and actually made me feel unconfortable (Only one film I can think of which did this and is very alike in its plot, locked in a haunted house, to thirteen ghosts which is House on Haunted hill). I am rather sad as if you have seen the film you will know what happens to a certain Matthew Lillard but the rest of the film made up for it in brilliance. Ever since I saw the film I am paranoid about having a bath (once more you have to have seen it to understand me) and I feel they could be around me at any moment. I especially feel unconfortable about the Jackel, I think that could be the worst thing in the film, that ghost is sooooo scary. Anyway if you wonder about seeing this film don't it is sooo brilliant and definatly worth watching, but be warned you won't feel safe in your own house again!! If I could put more stars I would!

Simpsons Road Rage (PS2)
Simpsons Road Rage (PS2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely addictive good fun, 23 Feb. 2002
This was the first game I got for my PS2 and it is excellent. You can knock nearly everything over rather than having to drive around them which can be infurating when you are winning.The charcters are brilliantly done graphics and they are accompanied by their proper voices. This can be very annoying though after hours of hearing the same words repeated as each character only has about 3 catch phrases. One of the most annoying is Marge's "haha, another day another dollar hahahaa" ahhhhhh... ahem.
I have two major complaits thought that has bought its rating down to a 4.
1. It is infuriatingly slow at loading so when your time runs out you have to wait at least 1 min and econds befroe you can play again.
2. The game gets very repetitive and boring once you have all the level and chrchtyers as you still have to do the same thing all the time. Pick up someone who you have picked upinfinate times before and take them to the same boring places which after a while loose their touch.
The thig that I really like is that amusing things are take from real episodes of the simpsons. If you go on the sunday drive you can go around and explore the level/course.There are lots of hidden short cuts and alleyways to find and certain buildings you can drive into and destroy themthe mall and area 51a. There are lots of rampsyou can drive up and then wonderful escalator to nowhere in downtown is great fun. There really is a lot of fun thingd to find,there is a multistory car park with a ramp of the top A huge car crunching metal dinosaur, a maze and the largest toilet in the world! Exploring the levels is actually more fun than the actual game! thehing that really makes me laugh thoigh is knocking somone over i especially love puching the man dressed up as a giant beer bottle off springfield dam!!

Page: 1 | 2