Profile for KJ > Reviews

Content by KJ

KJ "K.J" (UK)

Wifi Dongle Antenna Dual Band 5GHz 433Mbps Wireless USB Wifi Adapter for PC Desktop Laptop Tablet, Supports Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac Os X 10.4-10.12
Offered by Foktech direct

4.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT plug and play on Linux (Linux Mint 18.1) but with persistence is a great adapter, 30 May 2017
This isn't quite plug and play on Linux (Linux Mint 18.1).

Having worked out the chip is a Realtek 8811AU/8812AU. I was able to find the drivers and compile them myself. As I always run the latest kernel I had to try a few different forks of the drivers until I found one that gave me a fast and stable connection transfering large files. The first one I tried froze and cancelled large uploads to my NAS.

Fortunately I'm fairly comfortable dropping to a shell but others may be less so.

The good news is that NetworkManager reports 434Mb/s compared to the 56Mb/s my old "N" adapter reported and a speed test suggests I'm getting the most out of my fibre and I can transfer files quickly across my home network.

Provided you're willing to put the effort into compiling the drivers yourself. It is a good adapter.

Comma DPD45L 4.5L Diesel PD Fully Synthetic 5W40 Motor Oil
Comma DPD45L 4.5L Diesel PD Fully Synthetic 5W40 Motor Oil

5.0 out of 5 stars VW Spec Diesel Oil, 18 Jun. 2012
I have a friend who works for Castrol and he always said that you should pick the oil your going to use for your car carefully. Going Castrol gives you piece of mind but now my car is older and worth less I've started looking at cheaper alternatives to Castrol Edge. On my 1.9 TDI I noticed that the engine sounded quieter after swapping to Comma. This was just my experience but if you have a VW engine and you plan to go for fixed interval servicing every 10/12k then this will definitely fit the bill and meets the VW specs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2012 11:55 PM BST

Dyson DC34 Multi Floor Handheld Vacuum with Longer Run Time
Dyson DC34 Multi Floor Handheld Vacuum with Longer Run Time
Offered by CSC Distribution

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, but not great for cleaning the car, 18 Jun. 2012
The good....
Most powerful handheld cleaner I've ever owned and great for along skirting boards and very handy in the kitchen (think breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, crumbs etc) which is where we mainly use it. We
also put it to use when I decided to saw some chipboard/mdf in the living rooms and it was just easier to use this rather than wheel out the main vacuum. The standard suction is fine most the time and battery charge vs useage time hasn't been an issue for us. As other reviewers have commented, it portable and has a battery but bought this knowing that at some point I fully expect the battery will need to be replaced (just like on a laptop). A pleasant surprise was finding that our DC33 has compatible accessories.

The bad...
We live in a flat and originally bought this item to clean the car but for this it is NOT suitable and its where I feel the product has been designed to support the sale of further accessories (extension hose and crevice tool) rather than to get the job done out of the box. These extra accessories also typically work out to be un-reasonably pricey compared to the original item. While you can persevere you'll find that the size and accessories included mean you can't do a thorough job.

Overall very pleased.

TP-LINK TL-WN821N 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN821N 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Linux out of the box, 18 Jun. 2012
Works nicely with Ubuntu-based derivatives of Linux. The chip-set appears to be an Atheros AR7010+AR9287. Just plug in and it was ready to use.

Design patterns : elements of reusable object-oriented software
Design patterns : elements of reusable object-oriented software
by Erich Gamma

3.0 out of 5 stars In need of a re-write, 9 Oct. 2010
I've worked in the IT industry exclusively since 2006 when I graduated from university. This book was required reading for the Design Patterns module I elected to do. Back to 2010 and I've found myself doing more OO and re-factoring of some complex code bases. I picked up my copy and realised just how out-dated the examples are, especially for developers using Java / C#. The examples might be more relevant to C++ developers but I find the book really heavy going and quite hard to digest.

Design patterns are not difficult and books like Head First Design Patterns are better introductions to Designs Patterns than the GoF book. Unfortunately the Head First series does not cover all the patterns in the GoF and the Head First book is not designed to be a reference book. That said I remember much more of what I read when compared to this text.

Unfortunately there is no alternative that provides essential coverage of some of the most common patterns used day to day.

In short if your new to patterns and have a limited budget go for the Head First Book, while not a reference its a much gentler introduction.

The Definitive Guide to Grails, Second Edition (Expert's Voice in Web Development)
by Graeme Rocher

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 15 Feb. 2010
I bought this book based on the reviews of others and I must admit to been underwhelmed.

"The Definitive Guide" it is not. What is presented is a well crafted example that guides your through the basics. There is no mention of best practices or reference to real world design decisions that you would need to make in the real world. Granted, thats an expectation of mine and not the authors.

At times I wasn't entirely sure whether I should be adding some of the code examples to my private version of gTunes that you build up as you work through the book or whether the code was provided for information purposes. This required flicking back and forth making it harder to follow.

I also found the book a little disjointed. The book introduces concepts as you go through the example system but there is often references to cocepts that have not been introduced.

In summary a good book but nothing special as far as tech books go. It does whats intended but other than offering a basic beginners guide I can't see myself using this as a reference.

"Grails in Action" is a much better book and one that covers all the bases for someone wishing to learn a new technology. The coverage is more in-depth and I felt had a little more substance to it. In my opinion the