Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for Rumpuscat > Reviews

Content by Rumpuscat

Rumpuscat "= ^._.^=" (Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Secrets Of Seldom Seen: The Second Inspector McClennan Mystery (The Inspector McClennan Mysteries Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good - cat lovers beware, 29 Feb. 2016
A disappointing read after the 'Ayton Swans'. I was going to miss it out and move on to the "Ayton Witches" but read somewhere that it's best to read all three in order so I suffered this one. Not a good beginning as most of the people living in a small close in Cumbria seemed to dislike their new neighbours simply because they had a couple of cats. Unbelievable - I live in North Yorkshire (just over the border from Cumbria) and most villages are teeming with pet cats - cat haters wouldn't be welcome here. Some reviewers have said that the book 'loses its way'. No, it doesn't, it's just that the characters are unlikeable - even the ones I guess you are supposed to like. There's a woman who is always ill although we're never told what is wrong with her, and another one who is too weak to leave her spendthrift partner. The others are just forgettable, apart from the ludicrous Evie who turns up from New Zealand just in time to explain the mystery in the last few pages. It reminded me of those episodes of Midsomer Murders when you wish someone would just stick a bomb under the whole bloody lot.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2016 11:11 AM BST

Dark Witch (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy Book 1)
Dark Witch (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Dire, 6 Feb. 2016
I'd never heard of/read any of Nora Roberts before I bought this which I only bought because it was on special offer. She seems to have many devoted readers but I can't guess why. The witchy theme interested me but the rest of the story was really a turn-off. I liked the people in the prologue which drew me in , but they wouldn't have eaten potatoes or drunk tea in the 13th century. Then all of a sudden we're in the 21st century which I didn't really want. Again, the characters were quite nice but their relationships were weird. The sex scenes were nauseating/embarrassing and didn't add anything to the story. I also couldn't stand the American spelling/grammar or rather lack of it. The author occasionally remembered that it was supposed to be set in Ireland so paid lip-service in phrases like 'can I have a lift in the truck, I mean lorry'.I don't know much about Ireland so can't comment further. I won't be buying any more of her books.

The Monarch of the Glen (Vintage Classics)
The Monarch of the Glen (Vintage Classics)

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly boring book about particularly nasty people., 4 Dec. 2015
Incredibly boring book about particularly nasty people. I enjoyed 'Whisky Galore' and its engaging characters. What a difference when reading this book. I hated all the characters (apart from maybe Kilwhillie) as they were just very unpleasant, nothing to like. Why read about them? Yuck.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid., 4 Dec. 2015
Absolute crap. Stopped working after about 10 minutes. Seller won't respond.

The Complete Photo Guide to Felting
The Complete Photo Guide to Felting
by Ruth Lane

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for 'how to', 3 Nov. 2015
Excellent photo illustrations on technique for different kinds of felting, but not many inspiring designs. And oh dear - all the needle-felted figures look like they're out of the Wonga adverts! So - good on technique, poor on design. Depends what you want out of the book. If you are interested in the design side, I can recommend 'Art in Felt and Stitch' by Moy Mackay.

Krisk Bean Stringer and Slicer
Krisk Bean Stringer and Slicer

4.0 out of 5 stars Works best with pencil pod French beans, 23 Sept. 2015
Works best with smaller beans, either pencil pod French beans or immature runners (ideal if you grow your own). Does not work with more mature beans or flat pod French beans which do not go through the small slot.

Whisky from Small Glasses: A DCI Daley Thriller
Whisky from Small Glasses: A DCI Daley Thriller

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching, 2 Sept. 2015
It was fairly pacy and interesting but I didn't really like any of the characters except for the foul-mouthed Sgt Scott and Annie in the pub - oh, and Hamish! I enjoyed the quirky Scottish dialect and don't understand why others find it difficult but I expect they have never visited Scotland.

The main character, DCI Daley was a bit of a prat who allowed his wife (who was so interesting I've forgotten her name) to go gallivanting around with another man.

The murders were horrible with disturbing stomach-churning detail, excessive in my opinion. But I knew it was a murder mystery so I shouldn't complain.

Quite a few loose ends left untied, but I think I'll try the author's next novel (this was his first) as I think he has potential.

Two Dead (Black Heath Classic Crime)
Two Dead (Black Heath Classic Crime)

2.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, 2 Jun. 2015
Being a fan of early 20th century crime novels, and having read some good ones from Black Heath Classic Crime I decided to try this author. It really wasn't very interesting and quickly became tedious. The ending, when it finally came was trite and disappointing, leaving me wishing I hadn't bothered. If you like classic crime, try the books by Lynn Crook.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2015 5:49 PM BST

The Dangerville Inheritance (Black Heath Classic Crime)
The Dangerville Inheritance (Black Heath Classic Crime)

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange but interesting..., 21 April 2015
Unlike modern mysteries this book does not lead the reader through to a fully-explained conclusion. The ending is very abrupt with little detail so the reader is mainly left to their own devices which is slightly unsatisfactory. The story is, however, interesting and I enjoyed it. Nice to read grammatical English prose which is hard to find these days.

1066: Apocalyptic Visions
1066: Apocalyptic Visions

2.0 out of 5 stars Returned for a refund., 4 April 2015
Very poorly written with ungrammatical prose, spelling mistakes and poor punctuation. Depressed at the thought of having to struggle through the whole book I returned it for a refund.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10