Profile for N. E. Oughton > Reviews

Content by N. E. Oughton

N. E. Oughton (Oxford)

Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache: The ultimate feel-good book of natural cakes that taste naughty
by Harry Eastwood

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Disgusting Cake, 22 Feb. 2012
I'm always searching for ways to make great tasting but healthy treats so this book was a no brainer. I thought that I would try the heartache chocolate cake as my first outing and cannot express my disappointment. The cake does have a nice texture but to my mind the ingredients would have been better used in other things. The cake is somewhat similar to a sunken chocolate soufflé that I used to make except that it tastes disgusting. It's so bitter. More bitter than the chocolate is to eat on it's own (i'm a 90% kind of girl and this I made with 70%) and now I have a huge cake that I really don't want to eat. I really wish I'd just eaten the chocolate as it was. I don't think I can bring myself to try any of the other recipes. Such a shame and a waste of money on both the book and the ingredients.

British Sign Language For Dummies
British Sign Language For Dummies
by City Lit

1.0 out of 5 stars Unclear, 8 Aug. 2011
I found the explanations really unclear. The images, which are the only explanation of the signs, are really hard to understand and the layout of the book in general is confusing. I have a history of learning languages and this book follows no pattern at all. It firstly taught the signs for book, baby eat and drink, then wall, floor, moving car, then the alphabet. I really can't understand who thought that would be a good idea?!

Really disappointed.

Crocs Women's Prima Ballet Flat
Crocs Women's Prima Ballet Flat
Price: £14.50 - £14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappoionted, 15 Dec. 2010
I had really sore feet at work so I thought I would try them. They are really shallow so they feel like they're barely on. They run quite narrow, I wear a C and they were just about right, they also run small. I ordered a 10 and received a 43, 10 is usually a 44. Not impressed!

Minna No Nihongo: Translation and Grammatical Notes Bk. 1 (Minna No Nihongo 1 Series)
by 3A Network
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential!, 6 Sept. 2010
This book is essential if using the Minna no nihongo bk 1 text book. Not least of all for the vocab lists. I suppose it would be possible to sit and translate every new piece of vocab with a paper dictionary (if another of your hobbies happens to be watching paint dry).

The grammar explainations are good, as are the example sentances. There are also occasionally little explainations of Japanese life spread through the first and second book, such as using a pay phone or an ATM.

You cannot use Minna no nihongo (effectively,comfortably,without going insane) without this book, I use this book more than I do the main textbook as it's so fantastic for when you go back and reveiw basic grammar points that have become a little rusty. I'v had this book for 4 years and I would never be without it (in Japan or England) as a seriously handy grammatical reference book.

Minna No Nihongo: Bk. 1
Minna No Nihongo: Bk. 1
by 3A Network
Edition: Perfect Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Textbook for in the Classroom, 6 Sept. 2010
This was the first text book that I used to study Japanese at university (starting with no background in Japanese).

The entire text book is written in Hiragana and Katakana so before starting you really need to be familiar with them. Kanji have furigana (tiny little hiragana above the kanji which are quite a strain on the eyes)

This book alone offers no grammar explanations so the accompanying translation and grammatical notes are necessary (grammar dictionaries could be used instead if you wanted, but it wouldn't be nearly as convenient) which includes the translation of example sentences, vocabulary list and grammar explanations. There is a separate book for learning kanji.

The book has plenty of grammar exercises and comes with an answer book. There are also CDs and Videos for listening, an extra book full of practice exercises (which I particularly liked) and another book full of reading comprehension, as well as a kanji book. I own all of them (for both minna no nihongo 1 and 2) EXCEPT the videos, cds and Kanji books, mostly because of price. The video is really quite ridiculous but if you can manage to hold your laughter it is quite good if you want to see examples of situational Japanese. We used different books for Kanji (Basic Kanji book by Bonjisha co., ltd)

If you're studying this alone it's quite hard to keep motivation. You must have the grammar book that accompanies it which I believe offers excellent explanations, but they are sometimes a little too narrow. Very good for grammar drills. extremely basic but good to form Japanese foundations.

Only Yesterday [DVD]
Only Yesterday [DVD]
Dvd ~ Isao Takahata

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Sweet, Helpful, 10 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Only Yesterday [DVD] (DVD)
This film is a great insight into Japanese life.

I'm currently studying Japanese at university and i'm a reasonably low level. This film is great help because the language is pretty uncomplicated.

There is not an option of watching this film in English so if you can't do subbed films, either learn or don't buy this one.