Profile for Lisa Cherry > Reviews

Content by Lisa Cherry

Lisa Cherry "Author of The Brightness of Stars" (Oxford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Don't Mind Me
Don't Mind Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps the understanding mental health, 25 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Don't Mind Me (Kindle Edition)
Writing from that very intimate place of inner pain and turmoil, articulating it and then getting it down on paper, while cathartic, is essentially a huge benefit for those reading it. Judith helps bridge that gap between theory and practise in going through the process. This book is very much worth a read if you want a deeper understanding of how early damage manifests in life when left un touched. Thank you Judith for taking the time to share this.

Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007]
Stuart: A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Tom Hardy
Offered by Wowudo

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing, 27 April 2013
I loved the book and decided to give the film a go. The acting is brilliant and the depth of Stuarts character is portrayed brilliantly. Very difficult to watch in parts particularly if you have worked with such vulnerability as I have but the film attempts to offer light relief in parts which are generally welcome.

The Boy from Hell: Life with a Child with ADHD
The Boy from Hell: Life with a Child with ADHD

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential read for parents/teachers!, 26 April 2013
Well written, insightful and practical and not necessarily just a read for those who have children with special needs. The information provided, the insight into the reality of life with these additional needs coupled with an ability for professionals in mainstream education to add to their knowledge about ADHD and how they can approach the matter in the best possible way, make this an essential read for anyone working with children. A book like this gives the opportunity to reduce isolation for parents and create a space where strength can be gained through feeling less 'alone' while also offering practical resources and inside knowledge on how to get the best possible help. Excellent stuff!

Brida
Brida
by Paulo Coelho

4.0 out of 5 stars A gentle read, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Brida (Paperback)
I really enjoyed Brida although it was a bit messy and at times very simplistic. For me it was less about the characters and more about the questions they were seeking answers too; questions around searching and longing. Generally speaking I think Paulo was merely providing a backdrop to enable us all to explore that all consuming human question "what am I doing here?"

The Artist's Way: A Course in Discovering and Recovering Your Creative Self
The Artist's Way: A Course in Discovering and Recovering Your Creative Self
by Julia Cameron

4.0 out of 5 stars A book about recovery, 4 April 2013
Essentially, this is a book about recovery. It is hugely based on the principles of a 12 step programme but is a programme of recovery from stifled and trapped creativity. If you understand that, then you will be able to apply the 'take what you want and leave the rest' philosophy as this will have elements to it that won't suit everyone. Don't let that put you off. I wish I'd read it years ago and I would have taken what I needed back then. By the time I did get round to reading to it, my creativity was well and truly unleashed! Regardless of that, I believe it would be immensely helpful for many many people.

Half of a Yellow Sun
Half of a Yellow Sun
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

5.0 out of 5 stars Entirely accessible and educational., 4 April 2013
This review is from: Half of a Yellow Sun (Paperback)
A stunning book generously allowing us to enter into the Nigerian Civil War via believable, accessible characters that are easy to connect with. It was one of those "I couldn't put it down" books. When fiction can teach us something, something of a place we have never even heard of like Biafra, then it is double the gift! Brilliant!

Four Faces of Woman: Restoring Your Authentic Power, Recovering Your Eternal Beauty
by Caroline T. Ward

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read..., 4 April 2013
A thoroughly engaging and accessible look at transformation through self love, forgiveness and understanding of ourselves as women in the context of how we seem to reflect back to society what it often demands us to be. As with all books directed at women, men would find this no less accessible and it would likely deliver an understanding that would make for much more fulfilling relationships. This book is empowering in a deeper, spiritual sense.

Absurdistan: A Bumpy Ride Through Some of the World's Scariest, Weirdest Places
Absurdistan: A Bumpy Ride Through Some of the World's Scariest, Weirdest Places
by Eric Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars The promise of a journey..., 4 April 2013
I absolutely loved this book as it takes the reader on a journey, a sometimes dangerous journey, through parts of the world I may never visit. More importantly, parts of the world that will undoubtedly have changed even since Eric wrote about the landscape. That makes it a historic piece of work offering us glimpses into the wonderment of parts of our planet. Within this journey, Eric offers us reluctant glimpses into his own personal journey, revealing just enough to allow the reader to understand that the powerful nature of the physical exploration of such places was made all the more so because of the particular place he was at in his life at the time.

The Testament of Gideon Mack
The Testament of Gideon Mack
by James Robertson

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely captivating, 4 April 2013
I loved this book and fiction has to work really hard to draw me in. An exploration of faith for some but for me it was a an exploration of humanity, relationships and how we make sense of this thing called life. These themes when woven into fiction always draw me in and the characters were so believable that from time to time I forgot I was reading fiction. Now that's my kind of book...

Consumed: How Shopping Fed the Class System
Consumed: How Shopping Fed the Class System
by Harry Wallop

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of fun...., 4 April 2013
A highly enjoyable read which offers me a chuckle in places but definitely not a sociological look at class! If you fancy a laugh at your own behaviour and that of the people you share society with, then this is good non-fiction fodder to snuggle up on the sofa with on a Sunday afternoon. Will it teach me anything I don't know? Not really. Will it change the way I view the world. No. That's why I'm giving it 4 stars for what it lacks, it gives me back in return for being a book I liked!

Page: 1 | 2