Profile for Chuck Norris > Reviews

Content by Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris

Page: 1 | 2
Corsair CW-9060017-WW Hydro Series H80iGT 120 mm High Performance All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic cooler let down by poor software., 8 Dec. 2015
This is an extremely good cooler. The quality of the hardware is very high and I found it easy to install. The performance is also very good. I've used a couple of the older Corsair 120mm liquid coolers in the past and found them to be good quality but not really any better than a high end air cooler such as a Noctua NH-U14S. The H80i GT definitely beats the NH-U14S by a reasonable margin but it's quite a bit more expensive and louder. I purchased the H80i GT as I needed to ship an overclocked system around Europe and I was worried that a big air cooler hanging off the motherboard would be damaged too easily in transit. Most of the H80i GTs weight is in the radiator, putting less strain on the motherboard. The PC survived its trip and worked perfectly.

Unfortunately this cooler is fairly noisy at full speed, with fan noise, pump noise and air turbulence. So if you need a very quiet cooler that can cope with something like an overclocked i7 then the Noctua NH-U14S or something similar may be better bet. By far the worst part of the H80i GT though is the Corsair Link software. I used v3.2.5742 (I've tried older ones as well) and at first glance it looks great, with some really nice features. Unfortunately it's unstable and very buggy. I've had it crash, loose my settings, fail to recognise the H80i, completely stop controlling fan speeds, stop reading temps etc etc and it does combinations of these at random. It just can't be relied upon to keep doing what you've told it to do. If the software worked properly then this would be a superb, five star package but unfortunately because the product is so reliant on the software and the software doesn't work properly, it really spoils the product.

I really don't understand why such a good and quite large company like Corsair can't get their software working when there are similar free applications made by amateurs that works much more reliably.

Lelin Felt Chalk blackboard Duster Eraser
Lelin Felt Chalk blackboard Duster Eraser
Offered by Vinsani (UK Seller)

4.0 out of 5 stars Robust erasers that work well on white boards., 8 Dec. 2015
I purchased these board erasers to use on white boards as I was sick of cheap white board erasers falling apart after very little use. These erasers are much more robust and will hopefully last much longer. My only gripe is that the wood is quite low quality and a bit rough round the edges. If the wood was finished better I would give this product five stars.

Staedtler Lumocolor Whiteboard Marker 351 with Bullet Tip - Assorted, Pack of 6
Staedtler Lumocolor Whiteboard Marker 351 with Bullet Tip - Assorted, Pack of 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Best whiteboard pens ever!, 7 Dec. 2015
I've tried a lot of whiteboard pens, many of which were terrible. The are by far the best I've used by a big margin. The tips allow quite fine and accurate writing. The colours are bright and strong and the ink wipes of easily without leaving a residue. The plastic storage pouch is also a really nice addition, especially if you need to transport them around.

Other pens I've used leave a greasy residue which builds up on the board over time, making the surface dull and prone to smearing. This residue seems quite difficult to clean off. These Staedtler pens not only don't produce this residue they even seem to recondition dirty boards! I'm not kidding, when you wipe off their ink they leave a cleaner patch where their ink was. After a few weeks of using these pens the whiteboards in our office look much cleaner and no longer suffer from smearing. It must be down to the ink formulation which must be much better than that other companies use. Whatever it is it works extremely well and these are the only whiteboard pens we'll be using in our office from now on.

Cooler Master SGS-4110-KSMM1 Swift RX "Small Size, Low Friction surface, Stiched Edges, Professional Gaming Mouse Mat " Black
Offered by Sirius Logistics Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great all-round mouse mat at a reasonable price, 7 Dec. 2015
I've struggled to find a good quality and reasonably priced mouse mat recently. I tried a few very cheap ones and they were all terrible. Usually very thin and flimsy and with little grip on the rear surface. I usually prefer mats with a hard surface as I got used to that style when I was playing lots of FPS games. It seems that hard mats have fallen out of favour in recent years, with most good quality mats now being cloth based. I really wasn't sure about cloth mats but I liked the minimal appearance of this mat and the price seemed fairly reasonable, so I decided to give it a try. I've only being using it for a few hours but I'm starting to like it. My mouse tracks accurately and smoothly but definitely slower than on a good hard mat. So if you're after very fast tracking, a hard mat is probably a better choice. However, as I'm currently just using the mat at work the slight loss of speed isn't a concern.

I never felt that using a hard mat was particularly uncomfortable but I must admit that due to the Swift RX being fabric, with a slightly squishy but fairly thin base, it does provide a slightly more comfortable and luxurious feel, which is a nice bonus. It also has a very good quality look and feel to it. The surface is silky smooth and the back is a good high friction rubber material that seems to do a very good job of keeping the mat in place.
The stitched edge is also very neat and looks like it will do a good job of preventing fraying. However, the stitched edge does give the surface a more pronounced lip than I was expecting and I've found it to cause a little irritation to my wrist. I'll probably get used to this though. One other slightly negative thing I've noticed is that the mat does have slightly rubbery smell to it and this gets on your hands a bit. I'm guessing all similar mats have this though and I'm sure it will wear off quickly.

I've found the small version to be the perfect size for general office work, being a very similar size to most other generic mats.
I have three 20" monitors side-by-side in an arc and I can easily move my mouse cursor all the way across all three monitors while only covering just over half the surface of the mat. I use a Logitech MX500 laser mouse.

Ready Player One
Ready Player One
by Ernest Cline

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly entertaining and enjoyable read, 14 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Ready Player One (Paperback)
I'll keep it simple, I loved this book. It's by far one of the most entertaining and enjoyable books I've ever read. The story and characters are excellent and the whole book is well written and impeccably researched. The amount of 80s trivia packed into the story is quite astonishing and the way that this is integrated into the story and extremely clever. If you're into gaming, Sci-Fi or 80s pop culture you'll love this book.

50 Darkest Pieces of Classical Music
50 Darkest Pieces of Classical Music

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful collection of music, 12 May 2014
I've always loved sombre/solemn music and this album features some of my favourite classical music. I wouldn't personally class all the pieces as "dark" as such but I can understand why some people might.

The Bones Of What You Believe [Digipack]
The Bones Of What You Believe [Digipack]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, 12 May 2014
I only buy albums from new artists very occasionally but when I heard Chvrches on Radio 1 for the first time I instantly knew I was going to like them. After checking out the album on Spotify and liking every track it was a no brainer to purchase the album.

Grunwerg Double-Wall Straight Sided Cafetiere 8 Cup - Mirror Finish Stainless Steel
Offered by Harts Of Stur

4.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to a glass cafetiere, 12 May 2014
This is the second Grunwerg double wall cafetiere I've purchased. I now have the 3 cup and 8 cup versions. Both are very nice to use and look stylish. The double wall feature helps to keep the contents warm while keeping the outside from getting too hot. Don't expect vacuum flask levels of insulation though, or a sealed lid. This is just a regular cafetiere that happens to be metal and have double walls. My only gripe with my 8 cup version is that it has a few surface defects dimples around the lid. This appears to be where the two walls have been welded together and the weld hasn't been fully polished smooth. This doesn't affect it's operation though and it's only visible close up. Overall this is a high quality product that works well, looks great, is far stronger than a glass cafetiere and it good value for money.

Twister Game
Twister Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun but the new added moves are unnecessary, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Twister Game (Toy)
Great for parties etc but the two "new moves" aren't great. One is where you put a limb in the air, that rarely works well. The other is where the person spinning chooses the move. That tends to slow down the game and spoils the flow. So our group just started skipping the new moves. So bare that in mind when deciding to get this version or the original version.

Logitech Keyboard K200 for Business - UK layout
Logitech Keyboard K200 for Business - UK layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and great value keyboard, 31 Mar. 2013
This is quite a basic but very nice keyboard. It's light and compact but has a solid feel. The key action is smooth and tactile with a medium length of travel, somewhere between a laptop keyboard and an old fashioned desktop keyboard. The row of shortcut keys across the top is simple but useful. Overall it's a nice all-round keyboard that has the added benefit of being splash proof. So hopefully it will survive a minor tea spillage.

Page: 1 | 2