Profile for Geddy > Reviews

Geddy

Balance
Balance

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome band, awesome songs!, 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Balance (Audio CD)
Oh my god, how has this band evaded me for so long?
Strong songs, amazing melodies, wonderful performances.
Not sure how to describe them..... A bit like Thunder with a grittier voice?

Currently buying their back catalogue and you should too!!!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2014 12:19 PM BST

The Best Of Thunder: Their Finest Hour (And A Bit)
The Best Of Thunder: Their Finest Hour (And A Bit)
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Finest songs from a finest band!, 11 Aug. 2014
All I need to say is Thunder are awesome. Seen them live loads of times and bought this for the wife to keep in her car as she loves em too!!!!
Great band!

The Best Is Yet To Come
The Best Is Yet To Come

5.0 out of 5 stars Recently discovered band - fast becoming a strong favourite!!!!!, 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Best Is Yet To Come (Audio CD)
Only recently came across Hartmann, having "discovered" them on Spotify. I'm waiting for three cds to come through the post now! The songs on this "best of" compilation are all excellent. I really have come to love this band so much so quickly. Can't fault them - so much variety in a collection of very strong songs. I particularly like the songs taken from Balance, and wish they'd included From A Star on this compilation.
Please try these guys out and you won't be sorry!!!!

Acoustic Samurai
Acoustic Samurai

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Acoustic Samurai (Audio CD)
Firstly, I love Mr Big.
Secondly I love to listen to top quality musicians.
On the first listening, this album blew me away! I hadn't heard much of Paul Gilbert's solo stuff but have always admired him as a writier and performer. This album is stripped right back - there's nowhere to hide on an acoustic and this is a two man show (other guy on bass). The playing is astounding, but there's also a real fun element to the live performances.
Would I recommend this cd? Hell yeah!!!!!
Favourite moments - Down To Mexico, Scarified, and.....an Abba cover???? :D

FM / INDISCREET & TOUGH IT OUT
FM / INDISCREET & TOUGH IT OUT

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Music!!!!, 30 Jan. 2013
Had both of these albums since the 80's and loved them from the first listen.
Fantastic melodies, catchy songs and great musicianship that continues at their live shows, (I've experienced quite a few) should have been given more media attention.
FM are one of those bands that deserved more success than they've had and it just goes to show that no matter how much talent a band has, it won't get big without the hype and a big lucky break.
These two albums are great AOR offerings that won't disappoint. Buy them, and then buy their whole back catalogue - you won't be disappointed.
I'm just waiting for March when I'll be seeing them live again! :)

The IT Crowd, Version 4.0 [DVD] [2010]
The IT Crowd, Version 4.0 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Chris O'Dowd

5.0 out of 5 stars IT Crowd fun, 16 Feb. 2012
I got into the IT Crowd late - just as I did with Father Ted, which is a coincidence as it's written by one of the writiers from Father Ted.
This is the last series and it certainly keeps up the high speed humour.
For those unfamiliar, this is set in the dingy basement of a huge company building. The IT department consists of a slob (Roy), an autistic genius (Moss) and a wannabe go-getter with dreams of promotion (Jen).
The writing is fantastic, the acting brilliant - particularly that of Richard Ayoade (Moss) who even gets onto Countdown in my favourite episode from this series. He can make you laugh out loud even without speaking.
If you love Father Ted and British sitcoms in general, you need to see this without question. Take my advice though, and watch all four series in order and also see Noel Fielding as you've never seen him before!
Buy this and you won't regret it!

Lipservice
Lipservice
Offered by books-store

5.0 out of 5 stars Lipservice - brilliant!, 25 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Lipservice (Audio CD)
This was the first Gotthard album I ever heard and I love it.
There are so many sing-along songs on here with fantastic melodies. Steve Lee should have been better known in the music world for his amazing voice and I was lucky enough to see these guys live before Steve's unfortunate death.
I can't really single out a favourite as I love all these songs (ah, go on then Anytime Anywhere), and it's well worth buying up their back catalogue. Other great albums of their's are Domino Effect, Human Zoo, Need To Believe..... and more...Also they have a couple of live albums / dvds.
Really looking forward to hearing the up coming album with their new singer.
BUY THIS ALBUM!!!! You won't regret it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2013 11:13 PM GMT

Wings of Heaven
Wings of Heaven

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for Magnum fans, 6 April 2011
This review is from: Wings of Heaven (Audio CD)
I'd been meaning to buy this on cd for a while - cassettes don't get much of a look in any more do they?
I love this album. From the opening riff of Days of no trust, there is no mistaking the craftsmanship that has gone into the writing or each and every song.
To indicate the strength of this album related to the rest of Magnum's back catalogue, it's interesting how many of the songs on this album constantly find their way onto the live set list!
Wings of Heaven to me signifies the end of an era - I love every album up to Wings of Heaven, but that's where my interest dies.
This album has all the hallmarks of a stadium band that Magnum should have been. It celebrates their own unique style and general non-conformity to the short, radio friendly single, noteable with the final track Don't Wake The Lion which runs to 10.34 on the clock!
This album, for me, is from a period when Magnum (or Tony Clarkin) produced great songs with a great melody using a rock band to give a backing just as it should. Unfortunately after this album the need to try to impress in the USA drew Magnum away from what they were doing so well and eventually to a vocal line and band in unison (both following the same melody) with no heart or imagination.
I mourn the loss of a great band after this album. I see this album as a great ending to an early career that should have received so much more attention from the public.
This is all my opinion of course, but my advice is - buy it, you won't be disappointed!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2013 11:12 PM GMT