Profile for TheRedBlueBlur > Reviews

Content by TheRedBlueBlur

TheRedBlueBlur (England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Panasonic ALL3 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Panasonic ALL3 Wireless Speaker System (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless speaker system, 25 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried hard to like this product and spent a long time trying to get it to work as, in theory, it's a really useful idea. The idea that you can stream music from your phone wirelessly to a speaker/amplifier seems like a great idea, but sadly I've found this product utterly useless.

For a start it won't play music from my iPhone music library and will only play music from online streaming apps like Spotify and I believe only two others, neither of which I recognised from the app list. It looks like it will play from the phone as the app allows for this and even shows your songs, but it won't actually play them and comes up with a "can't play the song" type message. It does in theory play from Spotify, but I say in theory because finding the box in my wifi settings seems impossible. It did appear in the list briefly, but has since disappeared. Wifi for the Panasonic ALL3 system is like some sort of phantom drifting in and out of the menu tempting you with an "is it there, is it not?", but ultimately disappointing the user. Not only this, but I couldn't get another family member to use it as they couldn't find a Windows phone version of the app, so it appears it only "might" work with iPhone and Android phones.

If Panasonic sorts out its wifi issues and allow you to play music from the phone without signing up to Spotify premium, then it might be a really useful product, as it stands I'm hard pushed to find a use for it except perhaps to wedge a door open. You might be able to use this with Spotify if you love paying for online music, you may even be able to get it to work with the free Spotify app that has limited use (I say "might"), but why would you want to when there are so many other better ideas?

Simply Good News: Why the Gospel is News and What Makes it Good
Simply Good News: Why the Gospel is News and What Makes it Good
by Tom Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars Complicated Good News, 21 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The name 'Tom Wright' is one synonymous with ground-breaking questions and their answers, and he's been referred to as 'the most important apologist since C.S. Lewis'.

Reading Simply Good News, however, I found myself struggling to justify these titles. It's a good read, no doubt, but it left me wanting more, and I found myself drifting off at times.

The main problem, for me, is this book is simply too much packed into such a small volume. In my opinion, Mr Wright would have done well to edit the manuscript more extensively; I'd rather have a small book that stimulates my mind than a big book that I have to struggle through. I found that, although Wright writes quite a lot, he doesn't particularly say a lot.

Also, although I found certain aspects of the book inspirational, and many of the questions thought-provoking, I was disappointed that the material of the book seems to be very much a re-hashing of previous debates. The first third of the book I found especially trying, as I didn't feel that Wright really said very much to peak my interest at all. Things did improve throughout the rest of the book, and there are a few aspects of it that made me think 'OK, that's really interesting', but such occasions were rather uncommon, as I found myself trudging through words I'd already read to find the bits that really grabbed my attention.

It's not a bad book, and I would certainly say it's worth reading. If Mr Wright had spent more time editing (and cutting out a substantial amount of the book) then I would thoroughly recommend this book, as what he does say that's original and new is very interesting.

Tsunami Kids: Our journey from survival to success
Tsunami Kids: Our journey from survival to success
by Paul Forkan

5.0 out of 5 stars Triumph from disaster, 21 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An inspiring and interesting read. It is amazing to read how the children come through the ordeal of the tsunami and to see how resilient they are. It is not only a tribute to them but also a wonderful testament to their parents in the incredible way that they had prepared the kids for life and to support one another as a family. A preparation that has allowed them to not only come through this terrifying ordeal, but has also given them the tools to really thrive in life after.
You might expect a book on a disaster to be a depressing, but it's not, it's an uplifting read that helps us to value what we have and look outward to the needs of others.

Philips Double Contour 4-in-1 Ladyshave Sensitive HP6368/02
Philips Double Contour 4-in-1 Ladyshave Sensitive HP6368/02

4.0 out of 5 stars The Phillips Double contour Lady shave is a good size to hold, 7 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Phillips Double contour Lady shave is a good size to hold, easy to use and provides good results. It is particular good for underarm use as the pivoting head makes that far easier. The charging time is very long and the light doesn't go off when it's charged, but it is nice to have a lady shave that you can just use quickly (a single charge lasts for 40 mins usage), rather than spend ages trying to find batteries to put in it first!

Revlon Lash Potion Mascara by Grow Luscious - 10 ml, Black
Revlon Lash Potion Mascara by Grow Luscious - 10 ml, Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking lusciousness, 3 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great presentation and lovely wand but the product itself didn't live up to the packaging. The mascara gave poor coverage and a dried out appearance, which meant that I had to use multiple coats and it still didn't give the me the depth of shade or fullness that I would normally get from just one coat of my usual brand.

Ultrasport Tennis Racket IZX1000 - pre-strung
Ultrasport Tennis Racket IZX1000 - pre-strung

2.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 3 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On the positives, it's carbon/aluminium, so it's very light, but.... on the whole I don't like.

It is reasonably inexpensive, but this show in the details. The grip is comfortable, but the edges aren't sunk into the grip very well, so if you run your hand down the grip the wrapped edges flare out under your hand. Now I know most people don't run their hands down the grip, you grip it right? However, if you're playing around with it in your hand then this can get pretty annoying and last thing you want in a grip is worrying about about how you handle it! Also the transfers on mine were crooked, ironically the "engineered for better performance" stickers were both crooked. There was also a speck of something lacquered into the frame, which again would be distracting if you were running it through your fingers waiting to receive a ball.

It doesn't come with a cover, it's made by "Ultrasport" which couldn't get more generic and it isn't that much cheaper than a branded competitor. Don't get me wrong, it is a pretty good racket for the price, solid, light and strong, but it just isn't as good as its competitors. My advice is pay a little more and get a better racket.

Igenix IG9508 800W Portable, lightweight 2 Bar Quartz Halogen Heater with safety cut off., 800 Watt, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, cheap heat., 24 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like it. It's light, heats up quickly and radiates a pleasant heat from its halogen bulb/elements. It does smell a bit on first use for a few minutes, but I think all heaters do while they burn off any factory residue etc. However, for a cheap reasonably energy efficient heater this seems to fit the bill more than adequately.

It is light, so might be knocked over. However the cut off switch in the base did switch it off instantly when I tipped it to try out the safety feature. Basically there is a plunge type switch in the base that is held in by contact with the floor, if it is tipped over the switch comes out a little and activates the shut off switch. Not sure how this would work on a deep carpet, but it would probably be unwise to put a heater on a deep carpet anyway.

It is a heater and the grill does get hot, but then so does my wood-burner or oven. If you've got a garage, workshop etc., then this might fill the bill as a cheap source of heat. It's clean heat, that doesn't smell and doesn't use as much electricity as the older style electric heaters did. For the price, I think it's a good buy.

I had it on in the living room (which is pretty large and usually cold) and was surprised by the difference it made reasonably quickly. The dog soon discovered it too and made her home in front it, giving it her instant approval.

Seagate STDZ500400 500 GB 2.5-Inch Seven USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
Seagate STDZ500400 500 GB 2.5-Inch Seven USB 3.0 External Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, tough and very cool!, 21 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This external drive is tiny! Seagate have managed to squeeze half a terabyte of storage into a drive that is about the size a large smart phone. Smaller than A6, only a little larger than A7 and thinner than my iPhone 4! Not only that, but it's smart steel case looks like you could drop it out off a mountain and find it at the bottom functioning perfectly well. That's if you could find a something this small!

If you're a mountaineer that likes filming hours of victory dances on top of mountains and want a small, lightweight, tough and stylish external drive for your laptop/tablet/camera, this is ideal. It takes hardly any space in a backpack, or luggage, in fact I'm not sure you'd notice it that much in a suit pocket, so ideal for smart urban use too! Whoever you are, or whatever you do (you don't have to be a mountaineer) if you want a tiny 500gb drive then you'd be hard pressed to find a better model. Mine sits on top of my Mac Mini and is so well camouflaged that you hardly know it's there, apart from it's little blue "on" light.

USB3 and with a quality cloth covered mini cable and a three year warranty, it's hard to find a better drive. I love mine.

Philips Sonicare AirFloss HX8222/02 Rechargeable Power Flosser Pink
Philips Sonicare AirFloss HX8222/02 Rechargeable Power Flosser Pink

3.0 out of 5 stars Soni-blast., 21 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think on the whole, for people with teeth in good health this is a good little device. It's very easy to use, stands neatly on the bathroom shelf, seems to hold a pretty good charge and does a pretty good job of jet blasting between the teeth.

I have a slight problem, in that I have some teeth that are so close that I can't actually get floss between them, even the dental hygienist struggles. So I wasn't that surprised that the AirFloss couldn't get in there either. For the other teeth it worked pretty well. It is however much kinder to use with mouthwash, because mouthwash is generally at room temperature. If the water from your tap is as cold as ours, then it can come as quite a shock if it gets blasted between the teeth! This can be easily overcome though by simply filling the AirFloss a little while before flossing.

It does do a pretty good job of blasting unwanted material from between the teeth if you have well maintained teeth and good dental hygiene. However if you're unsure what state your teeth are in, then the AirFloss could well bring any cavities to light with eye-watering precision! It works by shooting a concentrated blast of liquid between the teeth with quite a jolt. Basically a little compressor builds up pressure and then blasts a jet out of the nozzle, but be warned it packs a micro punch! If you don't like the dentist blasting cold air on your teeth, you probably won't like this. It also may aggravate sensitive teeth as the jet is focussed very near the base of the enamel where the teeth are often most sensitive.

Select part For Iphone 4 (At&t) GSM Replacement Digitizer Glass Screen Assembly Kit (With Free Tool Kit) Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Herculean fiddliness, 17 Jan. 2015
Worked flawlessly and is indistinguishable from the original screen, but... the instructions are pretty non-existent. Apparently I was emailed a link to some on line videos to help with the repair, but when you choose a time to do the repair and sit down ready for work, the last thing you want to do is trawl through your emails looking for the link. Also, not sure what all the tools were for. Perhaps the plectrum was incase you finally give up and choose to learn the guitar instead. Actually it was more helpful than the case tool (the blue one). The suction cup is perhaps for victoriously hanging the phone in your window so that passers by can marvel at your technical awesomeness. The sticky label... still no idea about that one. Everything else was useful though.

However, once I'd found an excellent couple of YouTube videos detailing the process, it was eventually possible to complete the repair. The phone is now working as new!

Iphone 4 repairs are VERY fiddly and if you have poor eyesight or shaky hands I wouldn't even consider doing this yourself. Also don't do this with greasy, or sweaty hands, or if you are inclined to sneeze, or are in a windy area (the parts are tiny). Actually, to be on the safe side, I'd remove any other sources of stress or disruption from the room, kids, spouses, pets, workmen, whatever. Have a cup of camomile tea, take a sedative, listen to some whale sounds, do some meditation, pray, but try to approach the task as calmly as possible.

You also need to keep an exact record of which screws came out from where as you remove them, this is very important as they are minuscule and very easy to lose or put in the wrong place. You will almost certainly need to rub the screwdrivers on a magnet to magnetise them as there is no chance you'll be able to pick up the screws (some of which have washers) and place them by hand. Some are literally about 1.5mm or smaller. Let me stress, minute!

Don't let me put you off, if you are very patient and with good dexterity, then fixing the phone is a really rewarding feeling, but it is extremely fiddly and requires a lot of patience and careful watching of the online videos. If you do triumph over the task though, you can join a small but select group of people around the world that have actually, successfully achieved this and you can bathe in smugness every time you look at the successfully repaired phone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17