Profile for Aeternum > Reviews

Bosch PFS 3000-2 All-Paint Spray System
Bosch PFS 3000-2 All-Paint Spray System
Offered by Tooled-Up

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for interior use, 29 Mar. 2015
I'm normally a big fan of Bosch products and have many of their power tools. This is the first one to disappoint me.

It started on opening the packaging. It's very clear that the entire unit has been built cheaply. The bucket to hold paint feels flimsy and does not lock into the gun securely without using a fair amount of force and always leaves you unsure if its securely fitted or not. This makes a paint-flying-everywhere accident more likely. Bosch advertise that two nozzles are supplied with the unit, so that the spray type can be altered. However, the spare nozzle is located behind the intake air filter, which is behind a flimsy and difficult to remove plastic grill, making nozzle changes a pain.

With the above in mind, if you are only planning on using the spray gun on an exterior application, its probably fine. However I needed it mainly for interior applications and here the problems begin to mount up.

This was my first time using a spray machine - I was expecting that I could get a spray behaviour similar to a can of spray paint. The first issue I noticed was that even when the trigger of the gun was not depressed, the unit would continue to spray paint, albeit a smaller amount. This is probably fine if you are just painting fence panels outside, but inside this means you need to be constantly vigilant about where the gun is facing. Need to turn it off in a hurry? Thats not happening because the only way to turn it off is by moving the large, stiff switch on the main unit and by then you inevitably have paint where you don't want it.

Next would be the spray quality itself. Even at the finest setting the gun would allow, the atomisation was way too thick to achieve a high quality, smooth finish. Once again, it would probably be fine for painting something coarse like fence panels or an exterior wall but I wouldn't use this for furniture or anything else needing a fine finish. Actually, I doubt I would be happy with the quality of finish on an interior wall either. I went back to the manuals "Troubleshooting" section about this and it recommended to turn up the power to achieve greater atomisation. I did this and not only were the droplets still too thick, the volume of air coming out of the front was powerful enough to rip apart the newspapers I had stuck around the room to catch overspray.

Finally, Bosch advertises the ability to change the spray pattern on the gun. This works, but changing it results in a few seconds of thick paint glooping out of the front which then causes a thick patch of paint with runs.

In summary, its probably fine for painting something coarse, outside. Don't use it on anything that needs a high quality finish though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2016 9:07 AM GMT

Collins Complete DIY Manual
Collins Complete DIY Manual
by Albert Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than it looks, 6 Jan. 2012
I got a suprised when I opened the Amazon package for this book - I thought this would be a smallish paperback with black-and-white diagrams. Scroll back up and look at the description! 550 pages, hardback, packed with colour diagrams. There seems to be topic after topic on all kinds of subjects I would not have expected, from complying with building regulations to pest control to soundproofing. This book is excellent value for money!

*cough* Yet to fix anything though ;)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 9 Jun. 2011
I'm really, really impressed by this.

I just received my order and compared these condoms to store-bought ones. They are exactly identical but so much cheaper.

Package was small and discreet, without needing a signature so it was just popped through the letter box in the door. So no fuss, cheaper and same quality - very highly recommended!

E-mu Midi 1x1
E-mu Midi 1x1

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Dec. 2009
This review is from: E-mu Midi 1x1 (Electronics)
Before buying this, I made the mistake of buying a cheap no-name midi cable, and had nothing but grief.

This cable has worked flawlessly under Windows 7 x64, where a cheaper cable I bought didn't work under Windows 7, Vista, or XP. EMU provides drivers for this cable on their website. Altough its just a cable, I'm really impressed by the build quality of it. The LEDs to indicated data transmission flash subtly, the usb plug is well built and stable and the entie cable is attractive and stylish.

Don't waste your time on cheaper alternatives - pay a little bit more for a quality solution.

USB to MIDI Musical Instrument Keyboard Adaptor Cable
USB to MIDI Musical Instrument Keyboard Adaptor Cable

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 13 Dec. 2009
I thought "A cable is a cable" and didn't give another thought when buying this, assuming it would work fine.

The problem is, the "note off" value from my digital keyboard which this cable was plugged in to, didn't register for more than one note at a time. This made the cable all but unusable. Using Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Linux didn't matter - as soon as I bought a better cable (the EMU XMIDI 1x1 USB MIDI interface - also available from Amazon) all of my issues were solved.

The lesson: you get what you pay for.